4000 lumen blaster on my keychain: Nitecore T4K

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
archangel

4000 lumen blaster on my keychain: Nitecore T4K

Post by archangel »

Got it today. This thingie is sick... :grin-squint

https://flashlight.nitecore.com/Product/t4k

I had the TUP which emits 1000lm, and thought it was insane. 4klm on my keychain is ... pretty bright. ;)
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
RustyIron

HOLY COW!

Post by RustyIron »

INSTANT DAZZLE STRIKE!!!
Directly access TURBO!
Enables an abrupt disturbance to your adversary!
Ideal for self-defense!
JRinFL

Re: 4000 lumen blaster on my keychain: Nitecore T4K

Post by JRinFL »

Even though that 4000 lumens is only for a brief time, it is over 3 times the brightness of the average car's high beam. I think abrupt disturbance may not be hyperbole in this case.

The other brightness levels for general use on that model are not nearly as impressive, but more useful day to day.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
vivi

Post by vivi »

I've thought about ordering one of these, they look neat. Currently EDC their tip 2 and it's a nice light besides the awful UI.
:unicorn
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

Beam intensity is only 10900 candela though. 4000 lumens is impressive, but I stand with Rusty that the marketing is kind of corny. This isn't brighter than the hotspot on most other flashlights. More illumination, but not brighter.
--Jeremy
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i have a tini clipped to my sak rambler. it's amazing for edc use. this one is too big for my use, but it looks cool.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
archangel

Post by archangel »

kerrcobra wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:56 pm
Beam intensity is only 10900 candela though. 4000 lumens is impressive, but I stand with Rusty that the marketing is kind of corny. This isn't brighter than the hotspot on most other flashlights. More illumination, but not brighter.

It is not supposed to have a super bright spot = high range. Trust me, the brightness in near range is impressive - especially if you consider the size. If I aim it at you, and you look at my hand (cause you would never expect that a second later you will stare directly into a pocket sun), and I push the button, you will very effectively be blinded. I figure for more than just a second or two.

I own 3 flashlights with >=10k lumen, around a dozen with 3k and more, and countless with 1k lumen and more. Still own 60-70 flashlights. Some a pretty small, some are bigger. The T4K has by far the highest output-to-size ratio.

If you let the 4k burn, this is also a very effective short time pocket heater. ;)
Michael
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

archangel wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:19 pm
kerrcobra wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:56 pm

It is not supposed to have a super bright spot = high range. Trust me, the brightness in near range is impressive - especially if you consider the size. If I aim it at you, and you look at my hand (cause you would never expect that a second later you will stare directly into a pocket sun), and I push the button, you will very effectively be blinded. I figure for more than just a second or two.

I own 3 flashlights with >=10k lumen, around a dozen with 3k and more, and countless with 1k lumen and more. Still own 60-70 flashlights. Some a pretty small, some are bigger. The T4K has by far the highest output-to-size ratio.

If you let the 4k burn, this is also a very effective short time pocket heater. ;)
That's great man, and I think it definitely is a neat flashlight. Like you, I love flashlights and have a hundred or so. I wasn't disparaging your choice, but maybe it came off that way. Apologies. I was just poking fun at Nitecore's marketing.
--Jeremy
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

Does it strobe in turbo?
archangel

Post by archangel »

No, there's no strobe. But if you look directly into such a bright light, there's no need for flashing... Strobe is irritating. Bright light is blinding. In my opinion, that's good enough.
Michael
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

archangel wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:03 pm
No, there's no strobe. But if you look directly into such a bright light, there's no need for flashing... Strobe is irritating. Bright light is blinding. In my opinion, that's good enough.
I've been a fan of Nitecore for a few years. I have some of their old TIP CRI lights, the new tini2, the new TIP SE 700 lumen, and most recently I picked up the T4K.

I can confirm the effectiveness of the turbo mode. It is blinding. You can either put your hand up, look away, or be blinded with the after image of the light.

It's a flood light, not a spot light. It will brightly illuminate a small space momentarily. Or give you a 200 lumen flood light for a few hours. Good for going on walks, or for defense, especially indoors.

I've also been using it to get better lighting in my pictures. Point it at a wall or ceiling and use the turbo mode.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
archangel

Post by archangel »

I own TIP, TIP SE, Tube, Thumb, Tini 1, TUP, and now the T4K. I don't know what it is, tiny yet high quality flashlights get me...

TIP, Tube and Thumb are more for shortest distance keyhole illumination. If you are in a pitch black area, they'll lighten up your surroundings just enough. Tini, TIP SE, TUP & of course the T4K are capable to illuminate your pathway more than sufficiently.
Michael
vivi

Post by vivi »

the tip 2 is more capable than the full sized flashlights I carried when I first got into flashlights around 20 years ago. Crazy how much they've progressed over the years.

I remember when keychain flashlights were typically 1-5 lumens with non recharging batteries that required a screwdriver to replace.

I have a lot of larger lights I carry on hikes, keep in my car or carry in my backpack, but like you the keychain lights are my work horses. My tip 2 is bright enough for any indoor day to day use I have, holds a charge long enough, and is bright enough for night time runs down local mountain trails.

I'll probably end up with a T4K this year, but I am a little worried I won't carry it very often due to how thick it is. Maybe hooking it up on a carabiner to my belt loop is the move to make.
:unicorn