Chris Reeve Knives

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
cabfrank

Re: Chris Reeve Knives

Post by cabfrank »

prndltech wrote:
Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:32 pm
abbazaba wrote:
Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:36 am
I think of it like the 500 mile oil change after buying a new motor to get the initial metal wear out.
I'm not sure why things like that have stuck around this long, its got to be from old timers. but, that's not really a thing... not with new cars (no one changes their oil that early and its not recommended by the manufacturer), nor with the engines I build, I've never recommended that on a single one.

edit* I have cut open several filters from first oil changes on brand new cars at the first service interval and never found lots of metal flakes, nor have I on rebuilt engines. (now this has pretty much been Toyota/lexus and honda/acura engines)

same with knives, they will break in, not immediately
but they will... have patience.
Narratives. Internet.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I also tear them down right away when I get them because of the dryness. Worries me I'll wear a scratch into the pivot area or something. The added bonus is, CRK's are incredibly easy to work with. I really appreciate the simplicity.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

I know it’s an analogy, I just don’t like it 😄
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

My recent PJ Inkosi is bone dry. I'm doing a break in dry, then will disassemble, clean up, lube, and tune.

Yes, this was expensive, but money is fleeting, and time is short. I'll spend far more just mulching the yard than I did on this.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

JRinFL wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:42 am
My recent PJ Inkosi is bone dry. I'm doing a break in dry, then will disassemble, clean up, lube, and tune.

Yes, this was expensive, but money is fleeting, and time is short. I'll spend far more just mulching the yard than I did on this.
Funny you say that, I'm actually selling my Large 31 with inlays (finally got a bid this morning!) I didn't like it as much as I hoped to, even after putting my own edge on it. (I honestly like that PJ I sold you better!)

I figured that will help offset the cost of the 5 cord of firewood I had delivered this morning. When I think of it, it's kind of crazy that I have a knife that cost as much a major source of heat for my home for a good 4-6 months. I told my wife, times like this it's nice knowing if we're in a sudden pinch or would like a little extra spending money, the knife collection is a great source. Thankfully there's only a handful that I hold near and dear to my heart ;)

Of course she comes back with "you'd have a lot more money if you never bought any at all" Hahaha, she's joking...somewhat!

-Rick
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:47 am
JRinFL wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:42 am

Funny you say that, I'm actually selling my Large 31 with inlays (finally got a bid this morning!) I didn't like it as much as I hoped to, even after putting my own edge on it. (I honestly like that PJ I sold you better!)

I figured that will help offset the cost of the 5 cord of firewood I had delivered this morning. When I think of it, it's kind of crazy that I have a knife that cost as much a major source of heat for my home for a good 4-6 months. I told my wife, times like this it's nice knowing if we're in a sudden pinch or would like a little extra spending money, the knife collection is a great source. Thankfully there's only a handful that I hold near and dear to my heart ;)

Of course she comes back with "you'd have a lot more money if you never bought any at all" Hahaha, she's joking...somewhat!
That 31 sure is a looker though.

Wives are far too often correct. Never tell them that, however! :squinting-tongue
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I broke it down tonight and cleaned the factory grease out and applied fresh grease. They must have missed the right places because it’s smoother now.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

Sooner state seems to have Mnandi box elder in stock at the moment, along with the Macassar ebony too
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
akapennypincher

Post by akapennypincher »

Chris Reeves Knives are sure, pricy, but I not joining owners club.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

akapennypincher wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:06 am
Chris Reeves Knives are sure, pricy, but I not joining owners club.
We all said that at one time ;)
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
James Y

Post by James Y »

I own five CRKs, and that's all the CRKs I'm getting. Last one I got was in 2016. They're great knives, and absolutely awesome in fit and finish.

Someone has a thread over on BF asking 'what's so great about CRK'. And someone else said that CRK is mid-level (relatively speaking) at best; that there are knives costing $1,000 to $2,000 that people are buying.

I don't know about other people, but to me, $400 to $500 for a single knife, and of the quality of a CRK, IS high-end. I'm not some rock star, movie star, big-name pro athlete, billionaire CEO or whatnot, and neither are the vast majority of people, to most of whom $50 is way too much to spend on a single pocketknife. To most people, $100 would be high-end, and almost unthinkable to spend on a single knife.

Personally, for me, anything from around $250 to $300 starts getting into the higher-end for a knife. That represents a lot of money to most people. I'm not complaining at all; I am saying that CRK is a lot higher and better than 'mid-level', I don't care which newer companies have popped up and are making "better" knives, with more bells and whistles, at several times the price of a standard CRK.

Jim
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I have two CRKs and that's two more than I ever thought I would own. One was bought used at a good price (Thanks again!) the other new at list price.

For me they are as high end as I care to go, but I have no argument against someone claiming they are mid-tier in today's market. Lots of companies moved into the market that CRK created and found seemingly endless money for even more expensive models. I won't even go into the crazy world of customs.

CRKs are quality tools. Yes, you can easily get by for less money. Yes, you can easily spend more, lots more.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

CRK just upped their prices...

Small PJ 31: $425
Large PJ 31: $500
So it goes.
troutinCO

Post by troutinCO »

Are they really going to ask for more money on EXISTING orders that I assume are already paid for?
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

OOooffffff, glad I've got my fill! Though a small 31 Insingo with Magnacut and inlays will be in my future at some point. No rush though.

-Rick
Giygas

Post by Giygas »

troutinCO wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:46 am
Are they really going to ask for more money on EXISTING orders that I assume are already paid for?
You don't pay anything until it's ready to ship.

Edit: Unless that's changed. It's been quite a while since I've gone that route.
Currently testing: M398, D3, SLD-Magic
Favorites: 10V, s90v
Wishlist: S290, Vancron, S125V, K890
17 Spydies, 14 steels
13 Maxace, 9 steels

https://instagram.com/cnyknifenut
https://youtube.com/@CNYKnifeNerd
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Hmm... I knew that was coming. I'm sure glad I got my Inkosi when I did.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

They've held out longer than most manufacturers without any price increases. I don' t like it, but I get it.. the cost of literally everything has risen substantially over the last few years and CRK can only go so long without having to pass those costs on to the end user..

I'm seeing quite a bit of flak directed at CRK on the facebook/instagram for the alleged shady nature of "raising the price on existing orders" and I don't think that's a fair representation of what is actually happening. "Existing orders" are really more like placeholders to purchase - a "waitlist" would be a more accurate term. CRK collects no money until the knives become available.. there is no obligation to purchase and "orders" can be cancelled at any time. With lead times on knives direct from CRK in multiple YEARS, not months, it makes sense that prices are likely to increase a bit during the wait.. so will the price of everything else. CRK is and has been transparent with customers about how their process works.. I really can't fault them here for needing to keep pace with inflation..
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..