Chris Reeve Knives

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
James Y

Re: Chris Reeve Knives

Post by James Y »

kennethsime wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:28 pm
Thanks Jim, I'm really looking forward to seeing how my Sebenza will age. :-)

Well, on day 3 I'm finally getting the hang of opening the Sebenza without injuring my thumb. It's not too dissimilar from opening a Buck 110 one-handed - the thumbstub is kind of an afterthought, and it's the friction between thumb and blade which really gives you the smooth opening action.

abbazaba's comments really make me want to drill a round hole, but man I don't want to ruin that warranty. If I can get used to opening it this way, maybe I can hold off.

The only obvious signs of aging on mine (especially my large Regular Seb and my large Insingo) are the snail trails that naturally accumulate on the titanium handle scales normal carry and use. I actually like them. The snail trails can be removed and the scales can look brand new with a trip back to CRK for a spa treatment, but I wouldn’t bother. Any snail trails that may form make a particular knife unique to me, and give it some character.

I tend to open my CRKs by pushing forward, with a motion like “(“, instead of out and up, like “C”. It feels more comfortable for me. My favorite one to open and close, and the smoothest, is actually my small Inkosi.

Jim
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Wow I am in love! The action is way smoother on this large 31 than my small 31 I used to have. I really prefer the large to the small in size now that I've owned both. I wish they all had a hole and deep carry clip lolImage
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

SG89 wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:17 pm
Wow I am in love! The action is way smoother on this large 31 than my small 31 I used to have. I really prefer the large to the small in size now that I've owned both. I wish they all had a hole and deep carry clip lolImage
Wow, that one is stunning. Nice choice!
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

SG89 wrote:
:smiling-heart-eyes :smiling-hearts that is a thing of beauty!

I'd love to see an official Spyderco/CRK collaboration in some regard in the future. The mods look fantastic, but I'd be lying if I said I trusted the integrity of the thumbhole-modded blade as compared to a stock Sebenza blade.. I remember seeing a year or so ago on a CRK facebook group, some diehard CRK aficionado sacrificed a thumbhole-modded and a stock Sebenza for testing and the modded blade snapped in half with like 1/3 the force as the standard, or some such thing.. i'll have to try to find the video. The mod should be fine with normal use, but still, it's managed to stick in my head after all this time.. i think it would be nice to see a collab come out that's designed specifically with a beefier blade/thumbhole opener..

Sorry SG, I don't mean to detract from your post here.. just rambling.. your knife looks great! I sincerely hope it treats you well :)
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I totally understand…but this will be a gent’s knife for me. A weekend corvette if you will. I have my spydies for tough stuff. This is the most money I’ve ever spent on a knife before. $600.
Spydergirl88
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

With Spyderco being the most prominent company that actively credits Chris Reeve for designing the “Reeve Integral Lock,” it would be nice to see that sentiment returned in the form of a Sebenza with a “Glesser Opening Hole!” ;)
-Nick :bug-red
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

That looks great SG! I'd love to just hold and open that a few times haha. I agree, the large definitely has better action out of the box and gets even better over time.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
SG89

Post by SG89 »

The inlays make a huge difference in comfort compared to the pj.
Spydergirl88
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Very nice, SG! :thumbsup:
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
SpyderLine

Post by SpyderLine »

SG89 wrote:
Very nice knife you have there! If you don't mind me asking, where'd you pick that one up at?
Current Top 3
Kapara, Native 5, Pacific Salt 2
M.N.O.S.D #0034

"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month."
-Theodore Roosevelt
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

SG89 wrote:
Wow I am in love! The action is way smoother on this large 31 than my small 31 I used to have. I really prefer the large to the small in size now that I've owned both. I wish they all had a hole and deep carry clip lol
Wow, that is a great looking knife!

Really tempted to do the hole. I’m not sold on the lynch clip - looks great, but I don’t love that it extends past the butt if the knife. I was all set to install a lynch clip on my Stretch, but doing so killed the ergonomics of the knife for the same reason.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

SpyderLine wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:52 pm
Very nice knife you have there! If you don't mind me asking, where'd you pick that one up at?
Arizona custom knives
Spydergirl88
SG89

Post by SG89 »

For anyone that owns a sebenza with polished handles... Is it both handles that are polished or just show side? And are the sides polished as well?
Spydergirl88
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

The flats of both sides are polished after blasting, minus the lock bar. So everything including the edges of the handles and the lock bar are still sand blasted. The blade is polished as well, compared to the standard stonewash.

I apparently don't have a lot of lock side pics handy, but this one sorta shows it.

TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

One of the first pics I took of mine. Yes, I'm glad abbazaba pointed out the polished flats on the blade of these as well. I forgot to mention that somewhere here before.

-Rick
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Thanks guys
Spydergirl88
James Y

Post by James Y »

SG89 wrote:

WOW. That is a beautiful knife you have there, SG!

Jim
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

My CRK workhorse

-Rick
SpyderLine

Post by SpyderLine »

I received this small Inkosi on Friday and it hasn't left my pocket since! I have L/XL hands and I was very worried this knife would be too small. However I was pleasantly surprised by its ergonomics. Although my hand completely makes the handle disappear, it feels great!
Attachments
20220123_134552_compress59.jpg
Current Top 3
Kapara, Native 5, Pacific Salt 2
M.N.O.S.D #0034

"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month."
-Theodore Roosevelt
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Have the inkosi inlays always been micarta or do they ever do wood for them?
Spydergirl88