Chris Reeve Knives

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
abbazaba

Re: Chris Reeve Knives

Post by abbazaba »

JSumm

Post by JSumm »

If I get a CRK, a BIG IF, I would get an Insingo blade. I think the drop point looks better, but I love the lower tip with the slight overall belly on the Insingo. That is why I think the leaf shape blades are the best for general EDC for me. Not looks necessarily, although I like the looks, but for utility. It is like the benefit of a wharncliffe, but with the slight belly it can do much more.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I agree with that Jeff. The Insingo blade is incredible for work!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I like both. The Insingo is definitely better for opening packages, but I regard the PM2 as one of the most universally useful blade shapes, and the drop point Sebbie isn't entirely different:

TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Good thing Wartstein doesn't browse this section, he'd see that cutting edge difference and lose his mind! :winking-tongue

-Rick
Giygas

Post by Giygas »

abbazaba wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 7:46 pm
I like both. The Insingo is definitely better for opening packages, but I regard the PM2 as one of the most universally useful blade shapes, and the drop point Sebbie isn't entirely different:

Not as similar as your example, but the insingo blade has always reminded me of the Manix blade:

Currently testing: M398, D3, SLD-Magic
Favorites: 10V, s90v
Wishlist: S290, Vancron, S125V, K890
17 Spydies, 14 steels
12 Maxace, 8 steels

https://instagram.com/cnyknifenut
https://youtube.com/@CNYKnifeNerd
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

In case anyone liked the look of the Elforyn Tusk Mnandi…

https://www.dlttrading.com/chris-reeve- ... icarta-510
Last edited by kennethsime on Wed May 11, 2022 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Giygas wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 9:00 pm
abbazaba wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 7:46 pm

Not as similar as your example, but the insingo blade has always reminded me of the Manix blade:

Insingo edge profile looks very similar to Spydercos Leaf shaped blades. I really like that profile.

And I do agree, that the more upswept the point is the more versatile the blade is. Similar to the PM2 profile. Meaning it can do more. I have scraped flat surfaces with my knife before. Most recently scraping tile and a separate repair to a wood floor. The drop point does well for this because of the angle you can achieve. A scraper is best because the handle is perpendicular to the blade and doesn't get in the way, but I don't keep one of those in my pocket. On a pocket knife it is difficult because the handle is in the way. Wharncliffe is impossible because you cannot align the edge to the flat surface.

On the flip side, the angle your wrist needs to use a wharncliffe to use the point is ideal in some situations. Where you do not have to lift your wrist at such a high angle like a drop point requires. My last project to reflect that was cutting through some old mastic removing a furnace. Really had to dig in with the tip of the blade. A drop point requires a severe angle of the wrist. I had an Endela on me. Similar edge profile to the PM2. Made it much more difficult because it wasn't as strong of a cut at the tip. Opening a package is another everyday example. But that is only one type of cut where the Wharncliffe excels. Maybe the only cut it excels at.

Now to combine those two, you get something like the leaf shaped blades or the Insingo where you have only a slight belly. Allows a stronger cut with the tip, but still has some versatility with the slight belly.

For projects, I keep a Native 5 and a Rock Jumper on me to have both extremes. For EDC since I'm only carrying one, I like to have a Leaf shape or something close to the Endura with a slight belly at the end. That way I kinda get a little of both. Total preference, but I hope that makes sense.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Ok, another question for you CRK owners. So it looks like at this time, there has only been a sprint run of the Sebenza with the Insingo Blade. Which means for new models, you have to get an Inkosi for the Insingo blade. The question I have surrounds the pivot bushing. After researching the Sebenza, it appears due to the bushing you can tighten the pivot to tight without worrying about locking down the blade. I think that is a really cool feature. I have not been able to find if the Inkosi has the same bushing. Does it? Or are you stuck with having to find the right tension as to not make the pivot so tight that you can't get the blade deployed?
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Correct. The Sebenza has the bushing, so you tighten the pivot fully and the blade still swings freely. The Inkosi has an adjustable action tightness with an extremely oversized pivot and washers, but no bushing. While I like the bushing better, the setup on the Inkosi works really well IME, allowing for varying action tightness without side to side play.

Somewhat related is the stop pin on the Inkosi, which is bolted to the lock side scale, and pokes through a very tight hole on the show side. This allows the stop pin to effectively change length with the pivot adjustment.

Also correct about the current Insingo situation. The only time they made an Insingo 31 was to use up the S35vn leftovers. They also gave them an "upgraded" glass blast finish and called it a sprint run. They will be doing 31 Insingos in S45vn at some point in the future.
Last edited by abbazaba on Wed May 11, 2022 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

That more than answers my question. Thank you so much abbazabba!

Although it sounds like a great feature, maybe not much of a loss. Maybe an Insingo Blade Inkosi with Micarta inlays is in my future. I do hope they have some at Blade Show in a few weeks.
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Only because I feel like I may be off-loading the KA/CF Inkosi soon...

So it goes.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

DLT currently has the Large Inkosi (not Insingo) with Natural and Black micarta inlays.

-Rick
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

If y’all lovely folks would keep an eye out, or if anyone knows where I can get one of these, PM me!
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

DLT has the 7” Green Beret in CPM 4V. Man, I want one but am going to hold off.

Even though I remember when they cost much less, they seem like a steal at that price.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

The fact that they work with 4v but don't make a Sebenza with it makes me sad every day.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

abbazaba wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 7:35 am
The fact that they work with 4v but don't make a Sebenza with it makes me sad every day.
4V is pretty new though, I think - that possibility is there.

My hope is that they transition both the fixed blades and folders to Magnacut eventually, and my hunch is that’s the reason we won’t see 4V in folders.

prndltech

Post by prndltech »

- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Jeff, this is a good chance right here! Though I can see the price likely getting out of hand, but worth a look!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/255538820840?h ... SwektigooY

-Rick