Chris Reeve Knives

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
troutinCO

Re: Chris Reeve Knives

Post by troutinCO »

Now knowing that "existing order" isn't really a paid for order, raise the price all you want I don't care.

I don't have one of these and I have never been interested in them, but I was curious when I saw "existing orders" and went man that's really poopy of them to do. I can see why people would be barking at them about it.

Maybe CRK shouldn't call a pay on delivery for a product "existing orders" to avoid that outrage. "Existing Reservations" might be a better term to have used by them.

Alright I am back to just observing this thread to see if I ever find one of these that excites me to wanting one.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

troutinCO wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:14 pm
Now knowing that "existing order" isn't really a paid for order, raise the price all you want I don't care.

I don't have one of these and I have never been interested in them, but I was curious when I saw "existing orders" and went man that's really poopy of them to do. I can see why people would be barking at them about it.

Maybe CRK shouldn't call a pay on delivery for a product "existing orders" to avoid that outrage. "Existing Reservations" might be a better term to have used by them.

Alright I am back to just observing this thread to see if I ever find one of these that excites me to wanting one.
I took the plunge months ago. Man I love this knife. Gets carried more than any other single Spyderco I own. Not light, but it is compact, so doesn't matter as much to me. Overbuilt and smoother than anything else I own.

- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Yeah, I don’t fault them man.

CRK needs margins, and they’ve been letting those erode away the last couple of years in the name of not raising prices on the consumer. If it’s time for them to restore a bit of their margin so that they can reinvest in their business & their employees, I say let’s go.

$300 is a lot of money for a knife. $500 is certainly a lot of money for a knife. I’m not sure if I’ll buy another CRK again, but there sure are a few others I’d like. I’d definitely like to support their project if I can in the future.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

The current demand for CRKs is crazy. Glad I got in when people were selling on the Exchange for hundreds less than the old pricing instead of hundreds more for some models. How much would my LG 31 Box Elder with Polished handles and Boomerang Damascus be now with the new pricing models?!?!?!

Regardless, I've been impressed with Magnacut so far and think the future looks bright for CRK with them embracing change lately and offering new options.

While carrying the new Magnacut Benza by the ocean I wondered how close it is to a Salt? I mean, the pivot bushing and stop pin are the only other steel right? All other hardware/scales are Ti. Seems like a further opportunity for CRK and their marketing... But with demand so high, maybe they have no motivation to pursue it.

EDIT: CRK hardware is 303 Stainless
Last edited by abbazaba on Wed Sep 14, 2022 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

abbazaba wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 3:09 pm
The current demand for CRKs is crazy. Glad I got in when people were selling on the Exchange for hundreds less than the old pricing instead of hundreds more for some models. How much would my LG 31 Box Elder with Polished handles and Boomerang Damascus be now with the new pricing models?!?!?!

Regardless, I've been impressed with Magnacut so far and think the future looks bright for CRK with them embracing change lately and offering new options.

While carrying the new Magnacut Benza by the ocean I wondered how close it is to a Salt? I mean, the pivot bushing and stop pin are the only other steel right? All other hardware/scales are Ti. Seems like a further opportunity for CRK and their marketing... But with demand so high, maybe they have no motivation to pursue it.
I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure they machine those parts themselves out of a very nice grade of stainless steel. Perhaps not a salt, but likely VERY corrosion-resistant.

When I was 19, working at a knife store in college, I could've bought a Large Plain Jane for $275.00. Unfortunately, that was well outside of my price range at the time - the $70 I spent on my first Stretch was already pushing it.

The day I bought my Sebenza without worrying about it too much was a very good day.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Giygas

Post by Giygas »

CRK hardware is 303 stainless.
Currently testing: M398, D3, SLD-Magic
Favorites: 10V, s90v
Wishlist: S290, Vancron, S125V, K890
17 Spydies, 14 steels
13 Maxace, 9 steels

https://instagram.com/cnyknifenut
https://youtube.com/@CNYKnifeNerd
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Giygas wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 3:28 pm
CRK hardware is 303 stainless.
Thanks for the info!
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Just a heads up .Friend got email this morning CRK raised price of his order$50 . Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Act fast!! New price doesn't appear to be in place on this one! The same version as a small is right next to it on the webpage for only $25 less. Grab this Large while you can!

https://knifeworks.com/chris-reeve-larg ... -lin-1028/
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Shannon, not sure if you're still interested in a Box Elder Mnandi.

https://riversedgecutlery.com/products/ ... am-dp.html

-Rick
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

That Inkosi will not last long.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

kennethsime wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:05 pm
Yeah, I don’t fault them man.

CRK needs margins, and they’ve been letting those erode away the last couple of years in the name of not raising prices on the consumer. If it’s time for them to restore a bit of their margin so that they can reinvest in their business & their employees, I say let’s go.

$300 is a lot of money for a knife. $500 is certainly a lot of money for a knife. I’m not sure if I’ll buy another CRK again, but there sure are a few others I’d like. I’d definitely like to support their project if I can in the future.
After getting the txt from my buddy , I dug out my box for my Large CRK 21 plain Jane I bought in 2009 from NGK . Sticker price is the price of the small 21 now 13 years later . Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

It's almost comical that the large and small have a large price gap to begin with... can the extra materials alone make up that cost over the rest of the process? Does Hinderer still charge the same for the LG and SM XM?

That said, less than a 20% price increase over 13 years is pretty darn low, just ask Spyderco.
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:19 am
Act fast!! New price doesn't appear to be in place on this one! The same version as a small is right next to it on the webpage for only $25 less. Grab this Large while you can!

https://knifeworks.com/chris-reeve-larg ... -lin-1028/
Ordered one of these the other day. Came here to celebrate and announce that I found an Inkosi for the old price point, only to see that ya'll were on the case and spreading the good word on where to get the best deals. Should be here by Tuesday, this will be the first time I experience CRKs Insingo blade, Inkosi model, and micarta scales. Looks to be a winner.
Giygas

Post by Giygas »

Bdubs808 wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 2:53 am
Ordered one of these the other day. Came here to celebrate and announce that I found an Inkosi for the old price point, only to see that ya'll were on the case and spreading the good word on where to get the best deals. Should be here by Tuesday, this will be the first time I experience CRKs Insingo blade, Inkosi model, and micarta scales. Looks to be a winner.
The Insingo blade Inkosi is so good. Just a really well thought out design. Probably in my top 5 all-time favorite users.

Here's mine:

17 Spydies, 14 steels
13 Maxace, 9 steels

TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

That exact knife is my favorite folder! My Manix/Rex45/Micarta and Shaman with the same set up are up there too, but something about that Inkosi is just a little better to me. Reprofiled to 17dps really helped as well, instead of that convex grind.

Hope you like yours as much as I like mine!

-Rick
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Giygas wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 6:29 am
Here's mine:

That's a great looking pattern on the handle. Was that factory or aftermarket? And if aftermarket, where did you get it done?
Giygas

Post by Giygas »

TomAiello wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:41 am

That's a great looking pattern on the handle. Was that factory or aftermarket? And if aftermarket, where did you get it done?
It's aftermarket.

Anthony Griffin did the milling. He offered it up to me in a trade, and the resemblance to the handle pattern on my favorite Spyderco, the hundred pacer, made it an easy decision.
17 Spydies, 14 steels
13 Maxace, 9 steels

eonbluemantra

Post by eonbluemantra »

I've been hunting all over for a small sebenza 31 insingo, if anyone has any leads.
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

I really like the ergos, the finger grooves. Locks in nicely with my hand. The jimping pattern is kind of cool too. Micarta feels great. And no rattling lanyard tube.