Blades and Razors

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Blades and Razors

Post by Doc Dan »

Yeah, it is only just catching on, here. Even in the US people look at me funny when I mention it. They have not been liberated, yet, from the tyranny of the disposable razor and cartridge razor scam. Still, over here in this country, a guy recently opened up a shop. He has Henson, Razorock, Rex, Edwin Jagger, and more. Very nice. Truefitt and Hill are here, as well, and they have a couple of nice shops. They market their own Sheffield made stainless steel razor. A rep from from the company assured me the other day that they are stainless steel and not zamax. Expensive, however, because of the Truefitt and Hill name.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Ric

Post by Ric »

You are lucky having such a shop nearby.
I just searched and there should be another shaving shop in town.

Do you know the feather as-d2s?
Very expensive but is it worth it?

I had a cheap feather razor (similar to Wilkinson sword) but I did not like.
Ric

Post by Ric »

Yes, most people stick to the disposable stuff. It can be also cheap but the quality and fun is not there.
I never liked the 3 to 7 blades in one cartridge. Too much irritation.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Ric wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:47 pm
You are lucky having such a shop nearby.
I just searched and there should be another shaving shop in town.

Do you know the feather as-d2s?
Very expensive but is it worth it?

I had a cheap feather razor (similar to Wilkinson sword) but I did not like.
Nick Shabbazz is in love with the Feather AS-D2. No one says anything bad about it. Some few think they want something more aggressive, but most love it.I have not tried one, but it is high on my list of must own razors. One I am sure you'd like is a Henson. They make aluminum and titanium razors. The tolerances are tight, very tight. https://hensonshaving.com/
Last edited by Doc Dan on Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Ric wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:49 pm
Yes, most people stick to the disposable stuff. It can be also cheap but the quality and fun is not there.
I never liked the 3 to 7 blades in one cartridge. Too much irritation.
https://youtu.be/sB7S7Ch7l_s

Those multi blade cartridge and disposable razors do not support the blades. Only the first cuts and the rest do damage. Here is one trying to cut a business card versus a good Henson double edged safety razor.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Ric

Post by Ric »

https://youtu.be/vo6d81T0hOE
Nice talk about the Henson.
They also explain the cartridge razor. The hair is pulled out and then cut.
I like the sensor excel with 2 blades.
More the 2 blades do only damage and are for marketing. Like megapixels.

I wanted to buy the Rockwell 6S but ended up with the T2.
Adjustable with turning a wheel not by changing the plates.

From 1-6.
4 felt like the R41.
I used 1 today and it was ok. The sound was scary but maybe I am too used to the Henson. I used the Rockwell blades, with a feather it’s maybe different.
It was more expensive as the Henson...

Need some more experience with it.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Let me know how you ultimately like that T2. I had not really considered it, though it has a good rep. I started out shaving with a Gillette adjustable. I like the concept so that if I go a few days without shaving I can dial it up a bit and cut down the forest. On regular days I can dial it down.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Ric

Post by Ric »

Yes, I will do.
Overall R89, AL13, rocca are hard to beat...
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Yesterday, I put an Astra Superior Platinum blade (green) in my Henson Medium and got a great shave. After two passes and some touch up my face was very smooth. Today, I put a Voshkod in my Henson. I got another great shave. I'd say both are near equal, but the Voshkod might have been a little more comfortable.

The Henson is not nearly as blade sensitive as other razors are. The only two blades I have tried that I would never buy again, are also ones that gave me a bad shave in all of my other razors. Those were the Gillette Wilkinson Sword (could have been a bad lot) and the Derby (known for being dull). I was able to get shaved but the shave was uncomfortable and not as efficient.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Well, I ordered a selection to try, as well as the Derby Extra’s…

Feather - New Hi-Stainless
ASTRA - Superior Platinum
Personna - Eddison Stainless
Voskhod
Timor - Stainless Steel

… 2 of each for less than the price of a pack of disposables.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:01 am
Well, I ordered a selection to try, as well as the Derby Extra’s…

Feather - New Hi-Stainless
ASTRA - Superior Platinum
Personna - Eddison Stainless
Voskhod
Timor - Stainless Steel

… 2 of each for less than the price of a pack of disposables.
Hey, that's great! If your face is like mine I predict you will love those Feather blades in your DE89. The Persona and Astra will be nice, too. The Voshkod is milder so I like them in other razors, but too mild for the already mild DE89 for me. I don't like aggressive and harsh razors, so you have to understand that. I really love my DE89. It is just right for me.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Ric

Post by Ric »

I had 3 more shaves with the Rockwell T2. With the Rockwell blade it was aggressive even on 1.
I changed to a feather which made it smoother.

1 is 3 times less smooth as the R89.

Might also because of the open construction and louder sound.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Aiyoh! 3 times? Personally, I want a razor that is smooth, smooth, smooth. I want it to glide across my face like an ice cube.

Mayhap you would be happier with a Henson? I don't mean to demean your razor, but I like smooth, non-harsh shaves.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Ric

Post by Ric »

Me too.
R89, al13 are top.

The issue is that you know the razor only after you tried.
The sales person was an older lady who had no clue about razors. I cannot as her if the razor is smooth - sure I can but the answer might not be helpful.

I might try the Muehle companion one day. Should also be smooth and much cheaper.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I've not tried the Muhlë razors. The R89 uses a near identical head to the DE89, so I know what that is like. I did just get in a vintage Gillette Slim adjustable like the one I started shaving with in the late 60's. I haven't used it yet because I just got the Ti22. I will, though. I know it is a lot milder than my Game Changer or your T2. It was not at all expensive. I'll let you know how it goes.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Ric

Post by Ric »

>>>I'll let you know how it goes.

Yes, please.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Ric wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:43 pm
>>>I'll let you know how it goes.

Yes, please.
Here you go. Having 36 hours of beard, I tried the Gillette Slim set on 4 and it simply didn't cut through. So I upped the razor to 5 and 6. Most of the shave was adequate, but for two things. 1] The shave was overall not as smooth as I like, and often on the harsh side. I was using a Feather blade, so going to a milder blade would probably help. I will do that next time. Most of the shave was fairly efficient at cutting down my beard except 2] there was an area on my neck and jaw that simply wouldn't shave down and I was getting some irritation from trying to mow it down. So, I switched to my Henson Ti for that part and that finished the shave off nicely.

The razor was pretty efficient, except for the areas mentioned, but it was not smooth and gentle as I like. I do not like harshness and don't like a lot of scraping blade feel. I want to pamper my face. The Henson is far better in that regard and it is far more efficient and gentle at the same time.

I will try a Voshkod or Rapira next and see how that goes.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Ric

Post by Ric »

Thanks for sharing.
Does not sound good.

I think I will use the R89 with the fat grip.
Now I use for every shave a different razor. Mane I will stick to one for some weeks...
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I like trying different razors but I have my favorite for everyday use. I have found that what makes one razor comfortable to use over another one is very complex. I am not an expert and I am still learning.

Let me say this. I don't remember the Slim being quite so harsh in my younger days and I think it is because the Feather blade is not suitable for it. In my Henson and DE89 it is the bees knees. I believe, like with the Game Changer, the Slim needs a milder blade. I will report on that tomorrow after I shave. I am going to put a Voshkod in it and see.

The other issue I have found is that if I am shaving at the wrong angle I can give myself weepers and irritation. However, if I have the angle right for that particular razor, then it is more likely to give me a good shave if I have the right blade in it.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

I bought one of the King C. Gillette DE razor last week. It comes with 5 Russian made blades. Its a 3 piece design that's fairly heavy; if I had to guess I'd say the parts are made out of brass. The handle has helical serrations that give a good grip, even when wet, but I found that when I got the Van Der Hagen Shave Butter on it I kept having to wipe it off with a wash cloth to keep it from rotating in my hand.

The online reviews said it was a mild shaving razor, and I'd have to agree, the razor felt like I hadn't put a blade in it, it was very mild. I did get some slight nicks with it, but they stopped leaking by the time I was done shaving. It has a flatter top on it compared to my Parker Variant. This makes it easier to shave under my nose.

I had to hold it at a different angle than the Parker. (no surprise there) The ticking the blade makes when you cut the hair was very quiet which gave me the impression that the blade isn't hanging way out, unsupported. I'm going to try a Merkur blade in it tonight.