Blades and Razors

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Blades and Razors

Post by Doc Dan »

Pokey wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:50 pm
I bought one of the King C. Gillette DE razor last week. It comes with 5 Russian made blades. Its a 3 piece design that's fairly heavy; if I had to guess I'd say the parts are made out of brass. The handle has helical serrations that give a good grip, even when wet, but I found that when I got the Van Der Hagen Shave Butter on it I kept having to wipe it off with a wash cloth to keep it from rotating in my hand.

The online reviews said it was a mild shaving razor, and I'd have to agree, the razor felt like I hadn't put a blade in it, it was very mild. I did get some slight nicks with it, but they stopped leaking by the time I was done shaving. It has a flatter top on it compared to my Parker Variant. This makes it easier to shave under my nose.

I had to hold it at a different angle than the Parker. (no surprise there) The ticking the blade makes when you cut the hair was very quiet which gave me the impression that the blade isn't hanging way out, unsupported. I'm going to try a Merkur blade in it tonight.
The head of the Gillette is Zamax, I believe, which is fine for an inexpensive razor, and so is the head on the German made Merkur razors. They work great but won't last but a couple of years, or so. Buy a Henson and live happily ever after with zero weepers and fine, comfortable, smooth shaves. https://hensonshaving.com/products/alum ... 9794528336

There are other places to buy them such as Maggard. https://maggardrazors.com/search?type=a ... t&q=Henson

That is my opinion (and most other people). You just keep the flat of the sides of the razor against your skin and pull. That's it. It's as easy as a cartridge razor.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Well I tried a Feather blade. Bloomin’ heck but it’s sharp. My face hasn’t been as smooth for about five decades, though.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 3:26 pm
Well I tried a Feather blade. Bloomin’ heck but it’s sharp. My face hasn’t been as smooth for about five decades, though.
:grin-squint :grin-squint Yep, they sure are sharp! I really like them in some of my razors, but in a couple they don't work too well. My Edwin Jagger DE89 and my Henson AL13 and Ti22 love the Feather, however. I should say, my face loves the Feather used in those razors.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I think I've created a monster. :grin-squint I taught my wife how to lather shaving cream in a bowl with a brush to use on her legs and under her arms. She used an Astra blade in her Henson. Perfect.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Ric

Post by Ric »

:D
Do you need to buy her her own Henson. ;)
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

I shave my head every other day in less than 5 minutes with a Mach 3 and barbasol and I haven’t found anything better in years 😂

Face/neck gets a trimmer, no combination I tried worked for me at all.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

prndltech wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:22 pm
I shave my head every other day in less than 5 minutes with a Mach 3 and barbasol and I haven’t found anything better in years 😂

Face/neck gets a trimmer, no combination I tried worked for me at all.
Maybe a mild Henson? Works for most people who have sensitive skin or get shaving bumps.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Ric

Post by Ric »

Henson mild in blue is ordered.
Let’s see when it arrives and how much is the difference to the medium.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:19 pm
Maybe a mild Henson? Works for most people who have sensitive skin or get shaving bumps.
How do I know which one is mild?
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

prndltech wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:48 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Simple, they tell you. However, if you want to be sure, look at the bottom plate and if it has one + it is mild, two ++ it is medium, and +++ is aggressive.
https://hensonshaving.com/products/alum ... 9794528336 These are the mild or standard Hensons.

You can also get them from Maggard and from many other places. https://hensonshaving.com/pages/international-retailers

(Don't tell my wife. I am going to buy a Henson mild tomorrow morning to shave the top of my head with. :shush )

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:30 am
prndltech wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:
Simple, they tell you. However, if you want to be sure, look at the bottom plate and if it has one + it is mild, two ++ it is medium, and +++ is aggressive.
https://hensonshaving.com/products/alum ... 9794528336 These are the mild or standard Hensons.

You can also get them from Maggard and from many other places. https://hensonshaving.com/pages/international-retailers

(Don't tell my wife. I am going to buy a Henson mild tomorrow morning to shave the top of my head with. :shush )
I’m debating ordering purple one!
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

prndltech wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:03 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:30 am
prndltech wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:

I’m debating ordering purple one!
I almost bought one of those, today! I was torn between purple, military green, and black. I ultimately bought the black, but it was a close thing.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Ric

Post by Ric »

How much did you pay for the Henson?
I paid 78 EUR.
That’s okay to cheap.
Nothing to get an approval for.

That’s not even a dragonfly ;)
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

It was around $57 USD I think. I got a discount.

I shaved with my new black mild Henson today with an Astra blade. It was great and much better than with that Gillette Nacet I had in it before. I could be happy with only the mild and never need the medium. However, the medium just does the shaving a bit quicker.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Today, I put a Gillette 7 O'Clock blade in my mild Henson (black). I got a great shave. I needed to have done 3 passes...because the razor is mild...but it was good enough for the office or for teaching school. I can't wait to try one in my medium as soon as I use up the blade that is in it now.

I also have some Shark blades to try at some point.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Ric

Post by Ric »

I stick to the loaded feather and work on my technique.
Trying different blades are too much variables right now.

I am frightening moving back to the R89.
It might feel as the R41 ;)
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Yeah, it is wise to stick to one blade for a while. Someone gave me a bunch of blades of different kinds. First, when I bought a razor I got a pack of six or seven brands of blades to try, along with the Astra the razor came with. I already had Feather. Then, my wife's Henson came with another pack of six or seven brands (each brand's pack has 5 to 10 blades). Then, when I went over and bought some shaving brushes from a guy, he tossed in 3 more packs of brands (5 to 10 blades in each). So...I have a lot of blades to try! Hahaha! I also got some blades with another purchase. I keep a record of my experiences and with which razor I used. The Hensons are not nearly as blade sensitive as all of my other razors, BTW. I can't stand Gillette Wilkinson Sword (not to be confuses with German Wilkinson Sword) and Derby (so dull they won't cut anything). I have had some great shaves with Feather, Astra (green and white) that come with the Henson, Voshkod, and Gillette 7 O'Clock. That is for my face and how it feels for me. Everyone is different.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I love the tech on the Hensons so tomorrow I am going to try a Shark blade and see how that goes.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Today, I used a shower and a hot water presoak of my beard.
I used a Henson Ti22 razor.
I used La Toja shave cream lathered thick like yogurt. I like the smell as it is soft and powdery and does not compete with my aftershave.
I put a Shark blade in my medium Henson Ti22. This was my second shave with a Shark blade.
After I shaved, I used Thayer's original witch hazel with aloe.
Then, I used Barrister and Mann Barrister's Reserve Cool Aftershave Balm mixed with a little Rosken Dry Skin Cream on my face. Nice.

As to the second shave with the Shark, it was still a little harsh, but not as bad as yesterday. I got a near BBS or maybe a BBS in two passes and no touch up. Amazing. That Henson seemed to suck right down on my face with that blade and left it slippery smooth. Nice. This is definitely a good backup to the Feather, for me.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Sorry. Incorrect information. I removed it.
Last edited by Doc Dan on Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050