Fitness 2022

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
bryan123

Re: Fitness 2022

Post by bryan123 »

if anyone is looking into resistance bands I recommend Bodylastics. Great product and excellent customer service.

Also interesting are Torrobands and XBAR. Anyone have any experience with these? Thanks
Bryan
High speed low drag tactical operator immunologist philanthropist & bicyclist
Dragonfly 2 VG-10, Roadie, Bug, ZT 0450, Three Rivers LTC Nomad, Cold Steel Tuff Lite, RAT 1 AUS-8, SAK Super Tinker, Cadet, Rover, Classic SD, Opinel 0008 & 6 Tactical Weapon System, LM Original PST, Micra, 1967 Camillus Cub Scout restored by Rock USA Cutlery, Buck 380, Nick Shabazz autographed Z-Hunter, Snake Eyes Tactical Gas Station Knife
vivi

Post by vivi »

Man it's crazy how much harder of a workout sparring is VS the heavy bag. Even though I'm only throwing 10-25% power during sparring compared to trying to break the heavy bag with power hooks and kicks, I get so much more winded. 45 minutes of sparring feels harder than two hours on the bags. Great workout.
:unicorn
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

vivi wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 8:29 pm
Man it's crazy how much harder of a workout sparring is VS the heavy bag. Even though I'm only throwing 10-25% power during sparring compared to trying to break the heavy bag with power hooks and kicks, I get so much more winded. 45 minutes of sparring feels harder than two hours on the bags. Great workout.
Bag no heet back

Having to move your feet offensively and defensively as well as your head and hands takes a toll. I run at VO2 max levels often and a few months ago wrestled my son who is a legit middle school wrestler. I was gasping for air like a catfish on a bank! Completely different cardio demand actively resisting another body with unpredictable movement
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Found out that I have Runner's Knee (Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome, basically tendonitis in the knee) so I have been taking things easy and doing a bunch of stretching / balancing stuff lately. I already feel an improvement and hopefully, if I continue patiently, I can get over this and begin some more advanced exercises.

I have been really intrigued the last year or so with a concept called Movnat, or Natural Movement. Movnat focuses on movement for whole body fitness in the real world and makes a lot of intuitive sense. Anyone else see/hear about/ have any experience with it? Looks like a lot of fun too.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Been trying to take things easier on my knee and I think it's slowly beginning to heal up. I've also begun to get back into strength training again.

Mostly what I've been doing is natural stone lifting, still trying to go easy on my knee so no squat movements yet. Typically, I'll do 20 - 25 "snatches" (off the ground to overhead in one movement) with a 120lb rock, then do a few sets of loading, where I pick up a stone off the ground and load it on top of a barrel. I usually use my 300lb stone for this. After that I'll do four or five carries with a 220 pounder, just pick it off the ground and walk as far as I can with it. Plus I have some farmer's walk weights I use also.
I also incorporate some natural movement concepts like balancing, climbing, and crawling into the workout.

This evening, it was raining, so for something different I did a 1-mile carry with my 120lb stone. Took about 45 minutes total (including rests), walking in the pasture through tall thick grass. That's tiring! I was soaked by the time I finished.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
SG89

Post by SG89 »

About 3 weeks ago I decided to cut my calorie intake and in 2 weeks I lost 10lbs. I’ve lost 3 more lbs since then. I’m doing strength training. It’s becoming an obsession now lol. It really helps my mood. I wish it wasn’t so hot here so I could work out more in my home gym out in the shop. I have really gotten into landmine exercises.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
vivi

Post by vivi »

first time wearing out a pair of shoes from running. i've done it plenty with skateboarding and disc golf, but this is new for me!
:unicorn
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

How many miles are on those shoes?

Back in the spring, my friend - the one who went with me on that 50 mile walk - and I went on another hike, this time through the Paddy Creek wilderness area, down in the Mark Twain National Forest. There are some trails through the area (which emcompasses about 7,000 acres of rocky, hilly terrain interlaced with streams and creeks) but we opted instead to use compass and map and navigate our way across the area, from one end to the other and back again - about 10 miles.

It's about a two-hour drive from home, and when we got there mid-morning we discovered the creek had flooded over the road just where the trailhead parking area was. The water was a good foot-deep, cold, and fast-flowing; we decided not to risk going through with the car. I parked off the side of the gravel road, and we got out and got our stuff together, took off our shoes and socks, and began our hike with an ice-cold wade across the flooded road. My friend nearly lost his balance, and then nearly lost his map in the swirling current, so we were off to a great start already!

The scenery was beautiful; the woods were damp and cool, with a soft cover of leaves and mossy rocks. We followed the creek for a ways, crossing areas littered with huge, house-sized boulders, climbing up steep hills, trudging through bottoms thick with flowers, and tall quiet groves of huge pine trees. In some places the trail ran along the edge of a 100-foot high bluff overlooking the creek bottoms. The scenery was beautiful and the hiking was fun.

Navigating with the map and compass wasn't difficult, but we ran into some problems. First, our as-the-crow-flies route quickly became impractical because of the ruggedness of the terrain and the creeks, so we decided to hit a trail and follow that. But when we got to the spot indicated on the map, there was no trail at all. We kept going a ways and eventually found a trail, but things still didn't quite line up with what the map was saying. I later discovered that our map was out of date; as luck would have it the Forest Service website updated the map just a day or so after I had downloaded the PDF.

We hiked that trail to the end, stopped for a quick meal, then turned back for the return trip. By this time a thunderstorm had blown up, so most of the walk home was in the rain amid lightning and thunder. Aside from that though, nothing much happened and we made it back to the car a bit over 6 hours from when we started.

It was a lot of fun! All in all, with our roundabout route, we covered about 17 miles, including wading the creek 4 times.

Here is a picture of us, hike completed, back at the car. You can see the flooded road in the background. I'm on the left.

- Connor