Fitness 2022

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
TkoK83Spy

Re: Fitness 2022

Post by TkoK83Spy »

SG89 wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:11 am
Today is arm day... Dumbbells indoors for me. Don't feel like going out to the shop where the power rack is... 30 deg F is too cold for me.
CRAZY that it's colder in Texas than Central NY right now. I haven't had to use my snowblower yet this year, and have only used a shovel once. I'll take it...so far!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

The past couple years I've been alternating my strength training from high weight/low reps to low weight/high reps every 6 months. I've recently made the switch back to high weight/low reps and it feels like it's taking a toll on me. I'm only 38, in what I would think is very good health, but my joints seem to hurt a bit more than they ever used to when working out in this style.

At first I thought my body was just getting adjusted again, but it's now been about a month and my right arm has had some tenderness in the bicep and forearm, as well as my elbows and shoulders. Nothing severe, but not the norm for me. Could be age starting to creep up on me!?!?

This past week I reverted back to low weight/high reps and am no worse for wear. I'll maintain this for the time being, typically 3-4 nights a week after work.

-Rick
vivi

Post by vivi »

I always take it easy if something hurts or I feel like I'm bothering an old injury. Not worth the down time.

Did some running and heavy bag work today, and also got this in the mail:

This model is an auto starting version rated to 18,000+rpm and up to 35lbs of resistance. Gonna test it out tonight and see how it compares to cheaper knock-offs I've tried in the past.
:unicorn
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:19 am
The past couple years I've been alternating my strength training from high weight/low reps to low weight/high reps every 6 months. I've recently made the switch back to high weight/low reps and it feels like it's taking a toll on me. I'm only 38, in what I would think is very good health, but my joints seem to hurt a bit more than they ever used to when working out in this style.

At first I thought my body was just getting adjusted again, but it's now been about a month and my right arm has had some tenderness in the bicep and forearm, as well as my elbows and shoulders. Nothing severe, but not the norm for me. Could be age starting to creep up on me!?!?

This past week I reverted back to low weight/high reps and am no worse for wear. I'll maintain this for the time being, typically 3-4 nights a week after work.
Google “Jim Wendler Walrus Training”. Thank me later
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

vivi wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:15 pm
I always take it easy if something hurts or I feel like I'm bothering an old injury. Not worth the down time.

Did some running and heavy bag work today, and also got this in the mail:

[img]https://i.postimg.cc/PNGB7fzD/IMG-20220 ... 27-HDR.jpg[/img

This model is an auto starting version rated to 18,000+rpm and up to 35lbs of resistance. Gonna test it out tonight and see how it compares to cheaper knock-offs I've tried in the past.
It's been awhile since I played with one of those. I think the highest RPM I ever achieved was around 12,500.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

TkoK83Spy wrote:

You may think I'm crazy bro, but being 50 years old I can assure you Rick, that it's just absolutely mind blowing amazing how old age does indeed creep up.
Enjoy your 30's bro!! But, imo start takin it a little bit easier. Ya know, here's why you'll think I'm crazy, I bought the TB12 book on staying limber/stretching your muscles. And, it's a really good book bro.
Like I had posted earlier, I wanna focus on cardio and pliability.....being about to stay flexible.
My goodness what an awful feeling it is to know that your not bullet proof anymore 😬
But, you are in excellent physical condition Rick. I wouldn't doubt one bit, you'll be one of those dudes that just never ages - and mainly because you take good care of yourself.
I really hope to make a big difference this year for myself.
Nate

Post by Nate »

I’m 43 and have been lifting fairly seriously for a little over 2yrs.

Have had some nagging mild soreness in my right shoulder for almost a year and have battled golfer’s/tennis elbow in both forearms. Getting old sucks, but doing my best to stay a step ahead of it.

Started Rippetoe’s chin-up protocol for the epicondylitis a few weeks ago (basically 20 low-rep sees of chins with full rom) and it seems to be improving. Restarted my regular lifting 4x/wk this week with reduced weight and trying to slow down my reps/focus on time under tension to get to failure rather than going high-reps. So far, so good.
:spyder:
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Nate wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:57 am
I’m 43 and have been lifting fairly seriously for a little over 2yrs.

Have had some nagging mild soreness in my right shoulder for almost a year and have battled golfer’s/tennis elbow in both forearms. Getting old sucks, but doing my best to stay a step ahead of it.

Started Rippetoe’s chin-up protocol for the epicondylitis a few weeks ago (basically 20 low-rep sees of chins with full rom) and it seems to be improving. Restarted my regular lifting 4x/wk this week with reduced weight and trying to slow down my reps/focus on time under tension to get to failure rather than going high-reps. So far, so good.
I am very curious how the Rippetoe chin-ups go. I had Golfers elbow 15 years ago and researched his Pn Firing theory but was afraid to make it worse, which you kind of knowingly are doing, albeit to get better. Look into Elliot Darden’s 30-10-30 workout, I hear the crazy slow eccentrics seem to knock out nagging joint injuries without being the intent of the protocol
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

twinboysdad wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:04 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:

Google “Jim Wendler Walrus Training”. Thank me later
I'll check this out on my lunch break, thanks!

-Rick
Nate

Post by Nate »

twinboysdad wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:31 am
I am very curious how the Rippetoe chin-ups go. I had Golfers elbow 15 years ago and researched his Pn Firing theory but was afraid to make it worse, which you kind of knowingly are doing, albeit to get better. Look into Elliot Darden’s 30-10-30 workout, I hear the crazy slow eccentrics seem to knock out nagging joint injuries without being the intent of the protocol

Will keep you posted and will also look into the 30-10-30. They’ve gone well so far. I was also afraid to make it worse at first, but generally I’ll feel pretty sore after the workout, but by the next morning I feel fine.

This week will be a test and learn since I’ve resumed my regular workout and instead of doing the 20 sets every five days, I plan to do 10 sets twice a week (have gradually worked up from 3 to 5 or 6 reps per set as well). Hopefully I don’t wreck myself with the extra volume, but like I said I’m trying to be smart and go with lower weight and more time under tension (mostly by slowing down the eccentric).

The other thing I know I’ve been lax on and need to do better with as an over 40 is properly warming up and then stretching after my workouts.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I'm just going to try and stick closer to clean Keto. With food prices skyrocketing, it is going to be difficult.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
vivi

Post by vivi »

JRinFL wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:26 am
I'm just going to try and stick closer to clean Keto. With food prices skyrocketing, it is going to be difficult.
My go to protein bars just had a 38% price jump :black-cat
Nate

Post by Nate »

For real, prices for protein powder and creatine have gone bonkers as well.
z1r

Post by z1r »

Wandering_About wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:03 pm
Will be hopefully getting in good enough shape to ride the 150 mile cycling course at Gravel Worlds event in August. This will be a huge challenge for me. Rode the 75 mile course in 2021 and it was a milestone ride for me, so decided to go double or nothing after some prodding for a friend.
I'm an avid cyclist too however most of my miles are commuting; 26 miles daily. I try to get in longer rides on the weekends but that's not always possible due to either obligations or fatigue. I'd like to do a century gravel ride this year and have been trying to loose weight. Loosing 30 lbs would certainly make cycling easier, especially climbing. I averaged about 100 miles a week and almost double that during the Summer/Fall months, less of course in winter when the road conditions here are bad. I hit the gym 3 or 4 times a week concentrating primarily on core strength. YTD I'm at 116 miles.

I need to find a routine that will actually result in both strength/endurance and weight loss.
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

z1r wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:10 pm
Wandering_About wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:03 pm
Will be hopefully getting in good enough shape to ride the 150 mile cycling course at Gravel Worlds event in August. This will be a huge challenge for me. Rode the 75 mile course in 2021 and it was a milestone ride for me, so decided to go double or nothing after some prodding for a friend.
I'm an avid cyclist too however most of my miles are commuting; 26 miles daily. I try to get in longer rides on the weekends but that's not always possible due to either obligations or fatigue. I'd like to do a century gravel ride this year and have been trying to loose weight. Loosing 30 lbs would certainly make cycling easier, especially climbing. I averaged about 100 miles a week and almost double that during the Summer/Fall months, less of course in winter when the road conditions here are bad. I hit the gym 3 or 4 times a week concentrating primarily on core strength. YTD I'm at 116 miles.

I need to find a routine that will actually result in both strength/endurance and weight loss.
Well it sounds like you have a better start for the year than me! I'm a shameless fair weather rider and this time of year it's basically all smart trainer time, which varies wildly depending on my work schedule. Even in the milder parts of the year, my best weeks are usually not much over 80 miles. Will probably have to put a bit more effort in this year for the big Gravel Worlds ride, but for the most part I ride more for fun, adventure, and general health than with any kind of real fitness goals.

Definitely have already gained a few pounds over the holiday season, going to have to work on reversing that. Hard to do in January and February!
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

I haven't done any workouts for a bit now - trying to get over being sick - but hopefully I'll be able to start again soon. My workout currently focuses on strength and looks something like this:

Warm up with a few stretches

Press-behind-neck, seated (because my basement has only 7' of overhead clearance.) 2" thick barbell, 1 set of ten with an easy weight (80lb), then three or four sets of 5-6 reps with a moderately heavy weight. (100 lb., not great I know..)

Weighted parallel bar dips, usually 5 or 6 sets of 5 with increasing weight (up to 90lb), then a set of ten with a lighter weight(50 or 60).

Deadlifts, 2" thick bar, with me standing on blocks so the range of motion goes all the way down to my toes. Usually a warm-up set of 10, then a couple working sets of 10 (currently at around 240lb.) The biggest challenge here is the grip strength to hang onto the bar for ten reps, not so much the deadlift weight. Sometimes I'll do a heavy single too for good measure. (300 is my max with this 2" bar on blocks)

Arm curls, 3.5" thick bar, or upright one-arm rows with a thick revolving handle and a loading pin. 75 lb for 3 sets of 10. The super thick bar just kills my wrists, forearms, and upper arms (in a good way!)

Finish by tossing a 25lb block weight from one hand to the other, either 100 or 200 tosses without pausing.

It's not the most work or the most weight I've ever done, but I feel tired by the end of it.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Y'all ever get done lifting weights then try to sharpen a knife? Lol my arms are exhausted and I can't stop my hands from shaking. Guess I'll sharpen my chap tmrw.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

SG89 wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:25 pm
Y'all ever get done lifting weights then try to sharpen a knife? Lol my arms are exhausted and I can't stop my hands from shaking. Guess I'll sharpen my chap tmrw.
I take a preworkout drink a half hour before my workouts. Usually pass the time doing dishes, or this time of year I get the fire going. Sometimes I'll touch up or work on a sharpening job I've already started. Once that drink kicks in and i get all tingly and twitchy, that's when I know to put the knife down haha!! Results definitely don't turn out as well as they should.

-Rick
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Did some cardio today on the rowing machine. Haven't used it in awhile and I'm definitely feeling it after the fact
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
vivi

Post by vivi »

I've been getting regular cardio work in, even did a snow run the other day. Kind of falling off when it comes to weight lifting though, and it's making me second guess trying to gain weight and hit the 230's.

Just never got the same enjoyment out of doing bench press or squats vs going on long bike rides or running some gorgeous trails.