Joining the VA

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Kevinim82

Joining the VA

Post by Kevinim82 »

Hello forumites, this is my social media presence on all the internets, so I would like to share with you all my new career in nursing. Abyss_fish has reminded me in a shoe thread that it’s good to share good news.

For the last 9 years I have worked my way up at University Hospitals in Cleveland Ohio. This week I accepted a job at the Louis Stokes VA because I feel of all hospital patients, the ones that serve our country deserve the best care. I am honored to join the Cleveland VA team. I will be working in-patient spinal cord injury. I look forward to a long career serving our veterans.
Was never a space cadet, but with LC200N I might be more in space than a cadet.

MNOSD 0009
SG89

Re: Joining the VA

Post by SG89 »

Congratulations and thank you for working in the health care field!
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Congratulations, Kevin! That is excellent news. Best wishes on your new job. What an honor indeed to serve those who have so selflessly served to protect us.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Congratulations !
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Kevinim82

Post by Kevinim82 »

Thank you all for the congratulations. On another good note, perhaps I’ll find a coworker who appreciates like us forum-nuts!

MNOSD 0009
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Congrats buddy I am proud to know you on the Forum . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
James Y

Post by James Y »

Congratulations! You are doing so much good in this world!

Jim
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

Congratulations! After a carreer in law enforcement i became a Registered Nurse two years ago! Went back to university and got my bachelors degrees when i was 49.
I work in Nuclear medicine now and like it a lot.
Kevinim82

Post by Kevinim82 »

Thank you guys for your love! Jim M, many years to you in your new profession! Nuke med!!! Keep yourself between lead! Unlike your old profession avoiding lead! (Pun intended for joke purposes only!)

MNOSD 0009
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Thank you Kevin and congratulations on your new career!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
SkullBouncer

Post by SkullBouncer »

Deep Respect. The Blood of A Real Life Hero Corses Through Your Veins -- The VA has saved my humble soul more than once...I Appreciate You, LEOs, First Responders, ALL Hospital Workers and -- particularly those within the VAMC.

Hand Salute SIR. :cheap-sunglasses

Bruce Gibson
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Congratulations.

Worked in various fields of healthcare since 93. Last 7 years I have been one of those clerical flunkies working admissions/registration/coding.

I hope you maintain that enthusiasm as you deal with the bureaucratic mess the V.A. can be. Had a Army buddy that went straight from 20 years as an Audiology/ENT tech in the Army into the V.A. His plan was to do another 20 and double dip on retirement. He took an early partial retirement because he couldn't fire the dead weight due to nepotism & "reasons".

As a disabled vet myself I thank you for looking after my brothers & sisters.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Congrats on the job! Take care of us Vets. We often feel bad and the VA has treated us shabbily, so if any of us is crabby, just try to understand.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

congrats and thank you for your service!
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
u.w.

Post by u.w. »

Hey Kevin,
Big Congrats on the job! and Thank You for doing what you do!

u.w.
Kevinim82

Post by Kevinim82 »

Doc Dan wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:04 pm
Congrats on the job! Take care of us Vets. We often feel bad and the VA has treated us shabbily, so if any of us is crabby, just try to understand.
Thank you Doc Dan for your well wishes and advice. It is nice to hear from from a retired service member, and one who appreciates a good utility tool (Spyderco!)

In my last job/surgery clinic, I felt I related very personally with all the retired enlisted men who came to see my surgeons. They knew honesty when they saw it, they knew going the extra mile when they saw it, they knew bullshit when they saw it, and most importantly they new leadership when they saw it. The retired enlisted guys helped me assess myself and reflect on the type of leader I am/want to be. I like to think I lead from the bottom up. My secretaries and medical assistants are my most valued coworker.

Grumpy is a state of being. Most grumps have good jokes, and don’t hide honesty. Both traits I hold highly!

MNOSD 0009
Kevinim82

Post by Kevinim82 »

Halfneck wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:31 pm
Congratulations.

Worked in various fields of healthcare since 93. Last 7 years I have been one of those clerical flunkies working admissions/registration/coding.

I hope you maintain that enthusiasm as you deal with the bureaucratic mess the V.A. can be. Had a Army buddy that went straight from 20 years as an Audiology/ENT tech in the Army into the V.A. His plan was to do another 20 and double dip on retirement. He took an early partial retirement because he couldn't fire the dead weight due to nepotism & "reasons".

As a disabled vet myself I thank you for looking after my brothers & sisters.
Halfneck, thank you for your kind words and advice.

I won’t kid myself, you mention the obvious elephant in the room when it comes to government/VA work. It’s the less than 10% that really make the other 90+% look bad. I did my homework, and I think I picked the job that only people with heart want to be involved. Long term spinal cord injury isn’t for everyone. And a man/woman who became paralyzed in the line of duty or after the line of duty deserves my time. I could not have started in this job, but after 9 years in surgical/chronic care I think I have the tools in the tool box to be the best for this niche population.

MNOSD 0009
Kevinim82

Post by Kevinim82 »

SkullBouncer wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:21 pm
Deep Respect. The Blood of A Real Life Hero Corses Through Your Veins -- The VA has saved my humble soul more than once...I Appreciate You, LEOs, First Responders, ALL Hospital Workers and -- particularly those within the VAMC.

Hand Salute SIR. :cheap-sunglasses

Bruce Gibson
Thank you Bruce for your nice welcome!

MNOSD 0009
Kevinim82

Post by Kevinim82 »

I have been here a week, I’ve got to tell you guys the culture here is very welcoming and very nice!

I am blown away by all the pleasant employees/patients. I should have come here sooner!
-Kevin

P.S. no tax on my lunch! That’s a nice perk!

MNOSD 0009
mreagan

Post by mreagan »

Congrats! I love the care I get at the VA here in Shenandoah Valley, VA!
Matt

:bug-red-white , Watu, PM2 Crucarta, Shaman, Caribbean, SpydieChef, Ikuchi, Chaparral, Manix 2, Native 5, Siren, Delica 4, Kapara, Manix 2 Maxamet, Raven 2