A New Thread For Axes, Hatchets, Hawks & Other Striking Tools

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
JD Spydo

A New Thread For Axes, Hatchets, Hawks & Other Striking Tools

Post by JD Spydo »

The last thread we had on this subject was a really good one. But a lot of water has passed beneath the bridge and new products are out there so I thought it is high time for another thread on Axes, Hatchets, Hawks and other Striking Tools.

I just came across a really interesting video on Bitchute about a German made axe brand known as "Ochsenkopf". I had heard of this company a few years back but this was the first time I've ever seen one of their products up close. And for all of you who have known me for a while you all know how much I love German made items.

The URL for the video on that German axe is >>www.bitchute.com/video/TdZz3x10riY/ >> by the way that particular Bitchute channel ( Wranglerstar ) has many other reviews on axes and other related tools as well.

I also thought it was high time we brought up all of these other great axes, hatchets & Hawks we've spoke about in the past. And don't forget well known great brands of axes like Grandfors Bruks, Council Tool made right here in the USA along with Estwing along with other great tool makers who have a good line up of striking tools and forestry related tools We can also include talk about some of these newer splitting wedges and/or any other tools associated with forestry tools of all types.
kennethsime

Re: A New Thread For Axes, Hatchets, Hawks & Other Striking Tools

Post by kennethsime »

As I was telling JD, it's a great time for a new thread if you ask me - my fiancée took me axe-throwing the other day for an early birthday present, and we had a blast. I used to throw cheap knives from the BudK catalog as a kid, but I haven't thrown too many axes (and had never been to an axe-throwing place). This place had a few hardware store hatchets, but my favorite was the SOG Fasthawk. I hope this isn't too much of a deviation for your thread, JD.

You'll notice the rear spike is stuck here instead of the actual cutting edge. I found I was much more consistent sticking the spike - it would sink at least 9/10 times towards the end, where the cutting edge would only stick maybe 7/10.We used to sell these at the knife store I worked at in College, but they were always too expensive for me to own. I checked Amazon recently, and they're only about $50 these days. I think I'm buying one soon!

The other thing that really helped me with consistently sticking the axe was letting go of most of the things the instructor told me. He was coaching us to adjust for over-or-under-rotation by stepping forward or backwards by about 6 inches at a time. While this works, I found it much easier and more consistent to adjust the rotation of the axe bay adjusting the speed of the throw as well as the point of release.

Here's a video we took at the end. Unfortunately no sound, and no bullseyes, but you can see what I mean about the throwing technique (and how fast the Fasthawk flies with just a little wrist flick).

If you ask me, the only thing this place needed to add was beer (and maybe some softer wood for the targets - the axes like to bounce off pine if you don't hit just right).
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

That is way cool . Looks like a lot of fun ! MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Hey I'm wondering if either one of you guys have ever got to check out Spyderco's "WARRIOR HAWK" designed by Laci Szabo?

I heard that they have either halted production or are out of stock at this time. Not sure if D-2 is the ideal material to make that with but I'm sure it would be better than 99% of what you could buy at a hardware store.

I was told by a very reputable knifemaker that I've kept in contact with that S-7 is about the best steel he has come across to make striking tools with.

I've recently read about a new axe made by a German company known as "OCHSENKOPF". I've read up on them and apparently they've been around for a while now. There is a video over at "bitchute.com" if you guys ever want to check it out let me know. JD :bug-red-white O
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

The Warrior Hawk is only out of stock right now. It has not been discontinued. It is still featured in their 2022 product catalog.

I do not have a Warrior Hawk yet but I have three Szabohawks. In my use, D2 has performed just fine. I’ve used it as a throwing Hawk quite a bit. My technique and skill is lacking but the Hawk itself throws well.

It was not designed to serve as alternate to a traditional axe or hatchet, so I have not done much of that sorta thing with it. I’ve chopped up a few large branches but it was inefficient and not the ideal tool for the job.
-Nick :bug-red
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Mushroom wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:36 am
The Warrior Hawk is only out of stock right now. It has not been discontinued. It is still featured in their 2022 product catalog.

I do not have a Warrior Hawk yet but I have three Szabohawks. In my use, D2 has performed just fine. I’ve used it as a throwing Hawk quite a bit. My technique and skill is lacking but the Hawk itself throws well.

It was not designed to serve as alternate to a traditional axe or hatchet, so I have not done much of that sorta thing with it. I’ve chopped up a few large branches but it was inefficient and not the ideal tool for the job.
I'm glad to hear that because I think I do want one of those Warrior Hawks. It might be March or April before I have the necessary cash flow but this is one Spyderco product I really want>> that is if I have any cash left over after the release of the C-60 Ayoob Sprint Run. And I'll probably be using the Warrior Hawk on outdoor stuff like hunting and fishing trips whenever I'm lucky enough to finally snag one.

And you are so right about Laci Szabo and his great knives and accessories. I've had the privilege of meeting and chatting with him at two of the BLADE Shows and he is really knowledgeable about cutlery and tools in general. I never seen any thing sold by "szaboinc.com that wasn't superb quality.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I enjoyed this video of Mr. Janich throwing the Szabohawk.

JD, I do watch Wranglerstar's YouTube channel, and awhile back he posted this video about the Genzow Hatchet Hawk:

I think out of these two and the Warrior Hawk, the WH definitely appeals to me most.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I've always felt extremely privileged that Michael Janich is a part of this community. The few times I've sent him messages he's always been extremely quick to reply and to always give excellent input and very detailed answers. I'm also certain that he is an excellent part of the Spyderco staff at Golden CO, USA Earth. And this video is a testimony to all of that. Thanks for sharing that with us.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Before we get too far into this thread I have some pertinent information I've shared with you guys in the past that I think bears repeating. Way back in 1998 when I was subscribing to the old, Now defunct "Tactical Knives" magazine they had one issue that dealt with axes. At the end of the article they had the address and website to the US Forest service offering a video and book. At that time the US Forest Service was offering a VHS tape and a booklet entitled "An Ax To Grind">> which was produced and narrated by a professional forester named Bernie Weisgerber who once joined this forum for a short period of time. I seriously doubt if you would find anyone on planet Earth who knows more than Bernie Weisgerber about the subject of axes.

Mr. Weisgerber showed everything in his book about ax maintenance, ax sharpening and installing handles and about every other aspect of that tool that anyone could possibly imagine. I still have both hard copies of the book & video and I consider them priceless. The book is still available through the US Forest service in pdf form but I've heard you can buy a hard copy for around $20 >> so I was told about a year ago.

I have never ever seen such an exhaustive and comprehensive source of information on axes and other related striking tools. I do urge all you guys to check it out and let me know what you think.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

ImageSorry goofed up . Some of my tools . MG2
Henry David Thoreau
DrHE

Post by DrHE »

This thread is extremely relevant to my interests! I have had my Gransfors Hunters axe since their introduction in 1995 and it is an amazing piece of kit. This photo is when I had custom leather made for it.
876326F5-3DD7-4117-8C4C-E46648DF564A.jpeg
M.N.O.S.D. 0031
DrHE

Post by DrHE »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:10 pm
Before we get too far into this thread I have some pertinent information I've shared with you guys in the past that I think bears repeating. Way back in 1998 when I was subscribing to the old, Now defunct "Tactical Knives" magazine they had one issue that dealt with axes. At the end of the article they had the address and website to the US Forest service offering a video and book. At that time the US Forest Service was offering a VHS tape and a booklet entitled "An Ax To Grind">> which was produced and narrated by a professional forester named Bernie Weisgerber who once joined this forum for a short period of time. I seriously doubt if you would find anyone on planet Earth who knows more than Bernie Weisgerber about the subject of axes.

Mr. Weisgerber showed everything in his book about ax maintenance, ax sharpening and installing handles and about every other aspect of that tool that anyone could possibly imagine. I still have both hard copies of the book & video and I consider them priceless. The book is still available through the US Forest service in pdf form but I've heard you can buy a hard copy for around $20 >> so I was told about a year ago.

I have never ever seen such an exhaustive and comprehensive source of information on axes and other related striking tools. I do urge all you guys to check it out and let me know what you think.
You have got to be the only other person I have talked to that has seen and read his book. Amazing amount of info! If someone isn’t into axes before they will be into them after reading it that is for sure.

Here is the video! > https://youtu.be/22tBYD-HMtA
M.N.O.S.D. 0031
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Man I love Bernie’s videos, I think I learned about him from you in the last thread JD.

Here’s a question for the group: I’ve struggled to sharpen my axes more than I’ve struggled to sharpen my knives - ultimately I think I’m failing to hit the edge. Now when it comes to knives, I’m a big fan of the sharpie trick - run a sharpie along the edge and see if you sharpen it off or not.

Is there any reason this wouldn’t work with an axe?

bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I don’t see why the sharpie trick wouldn’t work. I just raise a bur on both sides and then knock it off. I can get axes to shave that way.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
DrHE

Post by DrHE »

Sharpie trick works well. Gives you a reference for where you are hitting. That said, I use a gransfors circular stone unless it really needs metal taken off then I use a file first.
M.N.O.S.D. 0031
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

DrHE wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:24 pm
Sharpie trick works well. Gives you a reference for where you are hitting. That said, I use a gransfors circular stone unless it really needs metal taken off then I use a file first.
Yea, I use a similar stone from Hults Bruk. Haven't tried a file yet - hopefully they don't get that bad!

Will try the sharpie trick to see if that helps things out. None of my axes are really that dull yet, but I'd like to keep 'em shaving like Darby. ;-)

DrHE

Post by DrHE »

Another interesting trick for Files using a rag to keep the angle is from Felix of SAK for bushcraft fame (and great SAK tips).

M.N.O.S.D. 0031
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

kennethsime wrote:
Sun Dec 26, 2021 6:43 pm
.... but my favorite was the SOG Fasthawk. ...

You'll notice the rear spike is stuck here instead of the actual cutting edge. I found I was much more consistent sticking the spike .....

....... found it much easier and more consistent to adjust the rotation of the axe bay adjusting the speed of the throw as well as the point of release.

You actually can control the rotation of an axe (and by that adjust for various distances) just like on a knife when throwing it no spin (actually a tomahawk can be thrown no spin too. Meaning, that there is no full rotation involved, but the axe head is always pointing forward during the throw and just makes kind of a quarter spin until it hits the target).
This is done by putting the index finger on the spine of the handle and control resp. counter the rotation of the axe when it leaves the hand with that finger.
/
The SOG Fasthawk has been my go to throwing axe for quite a long time now.

Just like my throwing knives I take it with me on runs and hikes sometimes, and just throw it on dead trees, logs, stumps, sometimes even WHILE running and without measuring any distance beforehand at all.

So I like that the Fasthawk is light and small in carry, and YES, that is has a spike on the rear end rather than a hammerhead.
A spike is easier to stick than the actual edge of an axe (unless one hits exactly with one of the two "corners" of the edge) and more useful than a hammer anyway. Many tasks can be done with the spike instead of the actual edge, which saves the latter.
And for hammering stuff I can still use the flat of the axehead.

I have to wrap the (plastic) handle of the Fasthawk in some cushioning tennis-racket or race bike handle bar tape, otherwise I break the handles eventually (I also wrap colored tape on top, in order to easier find the hawk when I miss a target)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

This (pic below) is my new favorite "hatchet", the Teraevae Skrama 240 (https://www.varusteleka.com/en/product/ ... teel/30189 (also a short, nice promo vid there))

It really took me by surprise: Works better than an actual hatchet in many hatchet tasks, and is easier and more fun to use.
Also really almost a "one tool option" - one would not need a smaller knife when bringing the Skrama (though of course it´s more convenient to have a small knife too).
Very thought through (for example are the first 5cm / 2 " of the edge (starting from the handle) are sharpened to a much more acute angle for finer work than the rest of the blade (more obtuse angle for chopping).
And very well balanced for more detailled work when the very long handle is gripped forward close to the edge
The 8CRV2 steel (totally new too me!) is amazing so far (though really not exactly rust proof....)

Bonus: It throws very nicely... ;)

Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)