A New Thread For Axes, Hatchets, Hawks & Other Striking Tools

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Bloke

Re: A New Thread For Axes, Hatchets, Hawks & Other Striking Tools

Post by Bloke »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:35 pm
the cool Tomahawk aspects
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Bloke wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:33 pm
Wartstein wrote:
the cool Tomahawk aspects
Hey BLOKE what do you know about "Hardcore Hardware" from your country? I've heard good things about them. I've also noticed that they make a nice selection of different tools for several different applications.

Are they from your area of the country? If so do you own any of their tools?
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Joe, we don’t make anything is this country.

I did a quick search and found these Bonza Axes from a mob who make them(?) up at Grafton about a 7-8hr drive north of here, Sydney. I’d never heard of them.

I have an old 4 1/2lb Hytest, they don’t make them anymore. I bought it before our kids were born. It’s Aussie made, not sure what steel it is but I’ve never found it wanting. It split our hardwood for hot water and heating for a couple of years and I’ve re handled it once.

It’s at Mum and Dads place so I can’t show you a pic.
Last edited by Bloke on Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

This is an old picture but I liked it. I have a SOG hawk somewhere but can't find it.

Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

kennethsime wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:01 pm
Wartstein wrote:
kennethsime wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:33 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 4:29 am
I feel the same way... but actually just about smaller, lighter, more "nimble" Tomahawks, ideally with a spike instead of a hammerhead.

When a Tomahawk gets too large and heavy, imho it looses some of the cool Tomahawk aspects, and a dedicated hatchet might be the better choice and most times a better wood splitter.

And a spike adds (again, imho) a lot more "multipurposeness" than a hammer.

Yea, I definitely hear that. I can’t stop thinking about that SOG fasthawk - truth be told, I haven’t bought one yet simple because I don’t think I’d ever use it.

Maybe it’s time to start trail running again! :p

Well, yes, trail running in the woods is only half the fun without a throwing hawk or knife! :winking-tongue

/ On the Fasthawk: It is really good for the money (around €50 / $ 55) - IF you want a Tomahawk primarily for fun and throwing.

- It definitely can do some work too, but with its short edge and light head for about the same weight I´d rather take a big chopping knife like the Teraevae Skrama I show in my previous post (viewtopic.php?f=5&t=91398#p1585278) when it comes to wood processing

- Different story if you need a lil´ "Destroyer" (don´t know a proper English word), like when you have to tear down structures of buildings, smash bricks or whatever. There the Spike of the Fasthawk is great, while saving the actual edge
The Fasthawk is also pretty good at hammering things (in) for actually having no hammerhead but a spike: The side / flat of the blade (just where the handle goes in) is comparebly heavy and checkerd, and works well for hammering nails, tent pegs and so on.

- For throwing, as you´ve tried yourself already, it works amazing: Just the right weight and size (so rather light and small), and the spike gives you a second, or actually BETTER option to stick the hawk besides the actual edge.
The handle CAN break right below the head, if you´re hitting hard stuff with this area very hard often. I protect mine with for example small pieces of a foam mat and tape, or just with tape for tennis rackets / race bike handlebars.
I actually see in the pic YOU posted that the Fasthawk you tried is protected right there too.

- I have no practical experience or training in tomahawk combat / self defense..., but know quite a bit about fighting with a bit similar weapons in theory from my interest in medieval history and combat.
And I think this would be perfect as a fighting hawk too (not that I´d ever need one):
Very light and nimble, so it is easy to redirect strikes or recover when missing, the Spike is probably even nastier than the edge (in a medieval context it would certainly be against armor), it should be easy too hook joints of an opponent, and gripped near the head it must be very suitable for close quarter fighting, for cutting and punching
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Warstein, thanks for the analysis! I agree, it felt very light and nimble in-hand.

I was recently introduced to these American Tomahawk Company tomahawks which are carried by DLT, my favorite vendor. The Model 1 is about 2" longer overall than the SOG fasthawk, and comes with a similar fighting edge and spike combo. The Model 2 has more of a beard to the main cutting edge, and a hammer on the end instead. Both are available with either an American Hickory handle or a Dupont Polymer handle. The hickory Model 1 is just 0.4oz heaver than the Fasthawk, while the Polymer about 5oz heavier.

Hmm... tempting. But also about 4x the price of the SOG.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Love it!

Gun fights, knife fights, tomahawk fights ... :cheap-sunglasses
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Bloke wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:29 pm
Love it!

Just don't be that guy who brings a knife to a tomahawk fight, whatever you do. :winking-tongue

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

kennethsime wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:34 pm
Bloke wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:29 pm
Love it!

Just don't be that guy who brings a knife to a tomahawk fight, whatever you do. :winking-tongue
Ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha! :winking-tongue
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

kennethsime wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:00 pm
Warstein, thanks for the analysis! I agree, it felt very light and nimble in-hand.

I was recently introduced to these American Tomahawk Company tomahawks which are carried by DLT, my favorite vendor. The Model 1 is about 2" longer overall than the SOG fasthawk, and comes with a similar fighting edge and spike combo. The Model 2 has more of a beard to the main cutting edge, and a hammer on the end instead. Both are available with either an American Hickory handle or a Dupont Polymer handle. The hickory Model 1 is just 0.4oz heaver than the Fasthawk, while the Polymer about 5oz heavier.
That's the first I've heard of "American Tomahawk". The one in the pic sure looks to be well built. Sometimes it's the smaller companies that put out the higher quality.

I've seen a couple of SOG's tomahawks and I really wasn't all that impressed.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:50 pm
kennethsime wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:00 pm
That's the first I've heard of "American Tomahawk". The one in the pic sure looks to be well built. Sometimes it's the smaller companies that put out the higher quality.

Right, from all I know "American Tomahawks" must be of better quality than SOG's... but the SOG Fasthawk is really good for the money they ask, though of limited value strictly as a tool.
Never had any other SOG hawk (I think they only have one other version, basically a "Fasthawk XL")
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
standy99

Post by standy99 »

https://youtu.be/Jm1b4-3crVg

Picked up one of these a few years ago and love it. Last cyclone clean up it was so much fun I didn’t even get the chainsaw out.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

American Tomahawk Company has been around for years. I believe this is the second or third "version" of the company. I have a couple of their older models, but I have never used them. These new models seem to be significant upgrades over the ones I have, although they look a bit heavier. Mind you, I don't know if there is a real weight difference, just going by looks. I remember reading about Peter Lagana and him wanting a fast light 'hawk. It was never meant to be a hatchet.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

JRinFL wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:57 am
American Tomahawk Company has been around for years. I believe this is the second or third "version" of the company. I have a couple of their older models, but I have never used them. These new models seem to be significant upgrades over the ones I have, although they look a bit heavier. Mind you, I don't know if there is a real weight difference, just going by looks. I remember reading about Peter Lagana and him wanting a fast light 'hawk. It was never meant to be a hatchet.
Well this must be a case of a company being hidden in plain view. I can't believe with all the knife magazines I've read over the years that I had not ever heard "American Tomahawk" before. But on the other hand I had never heard of Al Mar knife and about 3 other great knife companies before I got into Spyderco and Benchmade.

Oh well I guess I need to get out more often :confounded. So "JR" how would you rate your older "American Tomahawk" tools on a 1 to 10 scale? I'll sure be looking for one at thrift stores, estate sales and other sources. They sure look interesting.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:50 am
JRinFL wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:57 am
Well this must be a case of a company being hidden in plain view. I can't believe with all the knife magazines I've read over the years that I had not ever heard "American Tomahawk" before. But on the other hand I had never heard of Al Mar knife and about 3 other great knife companies before I got into Spyderco and Benchmade.

Oh well I guess I need to get out more often :confounded. So "JR" how would you rate your older "American Tomahawk" tools on a 1 to 10 scale? I'll sure be looking for one at thrift stores, estate sales and other sources. They sure look interesting.
My older ATC is very good, but I would not pay a premium for a used one. The current models look to be produced to a higher standard. Not to mention all the bad blood over the original co-owner of the company. The current company has to be an improvement.
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

The topic of tomahawks came up today in one of the Bark River Facebook groups and the guys at Thorson Forge were highly recommended by all.

They come in even higher than those ATC hawks, but they’ve got some really cool designs. Lord knows I’m not spending that much on a Tomahawk right now, but very cool none-the-less. All hand-forged, and lots of Viking-influenced designs.

max808

Post by max808 »

ladybug93 wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:19 pm
newest melee weapon arrived today.
Sweet! Looks like some of the throwing blades out of central Afrika, ngombe and such...
MNOSD 0047 - mens sana in corpore sano -
Do more than is required of you . Patton
For man's only weapon is courage that flinches not from the gates of **** itself, and against such not even the legions of **** can stand. Robert E. Howard
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I'm contemplating making my own trench mace using either a large hex nut or salvaged gear combined with a hickory hammer handle. I know I can just buy one from ATC, but the original trench maces were field made. As to why I want to make one the answer is "'cuz".
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
max808

Post by max808 »

This one is starting to grow some natural spyderteeth :winking-tongue
ngombe3.jpg
Likely made from a discarded leaf spring back in the day, used for tribal executions.
Last edited by max808 on Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MNOSD 0047 - mens sana in corpore sano -
Do more than is required of you . Patton
For man's only weapon is courage that flinches not from the gates of **** itself, and against such not even the legions of **** can stand. Robert E. Howard
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:50 pm
I own the SOG fast hawk, and have spent many hours throwing it in the back yard with my kids. It's taken a ton of abuse, and still provides good entertainment.

I'm not using it in life threatening situations or emergencies, but for what I do (chucking it at targets in the back yard, frequently missing, accidentally slamming it into the pavement on the patio, etc), it's perfect. I wouldn't want a nicer (and more expensive) tool for this stuff.