A New Thread For Axes, Hatchets, Hawks & Other Striking Tools

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
max808

Re: A New Thread For Axes, Hatchets, Hawks & Other Striking Tools

Post by max808 »

But I really want this one... :tonque-out
Screenshot_2022-01-12-19-52-36-465_com.ebay.mobile.jpg
MNOSD 0047 - mens sana in corpore sano -
Do more than is required of you . Patton
For man's only weapon is courage that flinches not from the gates of **** itself, and against such not even the legions of **** can stand. Robert E. Howard
max808

Post by max808 »

MacLaren wrote:
Sat Jan 01, 2022 8:55 pm
I've really enjoyed this Hardcore Hammers Survivalist Hatchett. I also really love my $40 Schrade too.
The Hardcore is very well made. The head is 4140 steel. Gets super sharp and bites deep.
Wouldn't wanna catch this in the eye either...

Beautiful craftsmanship! :respect
For man's only weapon is courage that flinches not from the gates of **** itself, and against such not even the legions of **** can stand. Robert E. Howard
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

max808 wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:55 pm
MacLaren wrote:
I've really enjoyed this Hardcore Hammers Survivalist Hatchett. I also really love my $40 Schrade too.
The Hardcore is very well made. The head is 4140 steel. Gets super sharp and bites deep.

Thank you, Max.
It really is bro.
Josh has one too, and he really likes his as well from what he told me. A little pricey but, very nice.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

max808 wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:41 am
ladybug93 wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:19 pm
newest melee weapon arrived today.
Sweet! Looks like some of the throwing blades out of central Afrika, ngombe and such...
it's based on a native american weapon, but who knows how far back it goes.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
max808

Post by max808 »

MacLaren wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:05 pm
max808 wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:55 pm
MacLaren wrote:

Thank you, Max.
It really is bro.
Josh has one too, and he really likes his as well from what he told me. A little pricey but, very nice.
You got it bro. Will have to look into them cuz they look so well made. Though that Genzow HatchetHawk has me intrigued as well, have to research him next. 💥🔥💥
max808

Post by max808 »

ladybug93 wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:07 pm
max808 wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:41 am
ladybug93 wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:19 pm
newest melee weapon arrived today.
Sweet! Looks like some of the throwing blades out of central Afrika, ngombe and such...
it's based on a native american weapon, but who knows how far back it goes.
Right, like those Aztek clubs with spikes on em, I remember those from reading old skool comic books.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

The gunstock clubs were made by the Eastern tribes in what is now the US and Canada. They were modeled after the European's firearms, hence the name gunstock club. They replaced the traditional stone and wood clubs used for hundreds or thousands if years. Similarity to other weapons found around the world only prove that there are only so many effective designs to be had for humans to harm other humans.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TomAiello wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:37 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:50 pm
I've seen a couple of SOG's tomahawks and I really wasn't all that impressed.
I own the SOG fast hawk, and have spent many hours throwing it in the back yard with my kids. It's taken a ton of abuse, and still provides good entertainment.

I'm not using it in life threatening situations or emergencies, but for what I do (chucking it at targets in the back yard, frequently missing, accidentally slamming it into the pavement on the patio, etc), it's perfect. I wouldn't want a nicer (and more expensive) tool for this stuff.
100% agreed.
It's just really good for what it is and for the money.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Council Tool Wood-craft Camp Carver is amazing! Hard to find anything that compares with its hardened pole.

Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I'm thinking about getting some of these. Think they would be fun to throw.

https://counciltool.com/shop/axes/sport ... addle-axe/
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Both of those council tool hatchets look really cool - I'm sure the 2lbs double-bit would be great for throwing.

My favorite hatchet, the Hults Bruk Almike, is pretty similar in size to that Woodcraft Camp Carver, though it lacks the beard and the hammer poll. Never-the-less, it's a great size for general camp use.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

Finally picked up a Warhawk. My first tomahawk
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Motorcycle gangs have been carrying Ball Peen Hammers forever.

As I had posted in the martial arts thread, I bought an impact weapon for the SHTF, and a dual impact weapon setup for left and right hand.

- Estwing Solid America Steel 16oz Head, Ball Peen Hammer
- Estwing 2-Compartment Hammer Holder (For the Ball Peen Hammer)
- McGuire-Nicholas Hammer Holder (Steel Loop - For the Claw Hammer)
- Klein Tools 5415 Heavy-Duty Embossed Tool Belt

This can be left in the trunk of a car, or anywhere really, and it does not draw any attention.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Naperville wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:12 am

As I had posted in the martial arts thread, I bought an impact weapon for the SHTF, and a dual impact weapon setup for left and right hand.

This can be left in the trunk of a car, or anywhere really, and it does not draw any attention.
You've covered some respectable tools there Naperville! However these is one USA made company that most of us have overlooked. I'm speaking of "Vaughan Mfg Co." In the past I've used their roofing and carpenter's tools for years and still own most of those Vaughan tools that I've had all these years. They also made great hatchets, Axes and other specialty tools. And their "Made In The USA" quality is as good as anyone's.

One of my favorite framing hammers over the years is my Vaughan 28 ounce carpenter's hammer. I've just gazed at their website and I was surprised to discover that most of their tools are still made here in the USA. their website is >>www.vaughanmfg.com <<

For those of you who appreciate USA made tools it's quite a nice website.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:08 pm
Naperville wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:12 am

You've covered some respectable tools there Naperville! However these is one USA made company that most of us have overlooked. I'm speaking of "Vaughan Mfg Co." In the past I've used their roofing and carpenter's tools for years and still own most of those Vaughan tools that I've had all these years. They also made great hatchets, Axes and other specialty tools. And their "Made In The USA" quality is as good as anyone's.

One of my favorite framing hammers over the years is my Vaughan 28 ounce carpenter's hammer. I've just gazed at their website and I was surprised to discover that most of their tools are still made here in the USA. their website is >>www.vaughanmfg.com <<

For those of you who appreciate USA made tools it's quite a nice website.
OK! Sounds good.

I used Estwings and Craftsmans in the old days, the 80's, to frame out footings and foundations(Symons Steel Frame - Wood Face Concrete Forms). Those were my good old days. I could get around the job-sites like an acrobatics champion.

I'm looking for materials that will not break no matter what they hit. The following looks good.

https://www.vaughanmfg.com/Products/RCF ... 12100.aspx
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

If you’re looking for a hammer I highly recommend Stilleto Ti-Bone. 15oz hammer that hits like a 28oz

https://www.stiletto.com/p/ti-bone-iii- ... nium/TB3MC

Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Jerome Howard

Post by Jerome Howard »

Here are some of mine. All are from Gransfors Bruks

Scandinavian Forest Axe
Small Forest Axe
Splitting Hatchet
Wildlife Hatchet
Mini Hatchet
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Jerome Howard wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:09 pm
Here are some of mine. All are from Gransfors Bruks

Scandinavian Forest Axe
Small Forest Axe
Splitting Hatchet
Wildlife Hatchet
Mini Hatchet
That is one set of extremely handsome tools you have there. I've yet to get anything made by Granfors Bruks but I've heard nothing but very good testimony about their tools.

One guy I used to cut firewood with years back has recently told me that Granfors Bruks makes an excellent Splitting Maul. He swears that they are even better than the "Collins" line of mauls which has been my favorite for years. And they must be really good for him to brag about them like that.
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

I just picked up a Countil Tools 24" Velvicut Hudson Bay axe, and I also grabbed a Snow & Nealy 24" Hudson Bay pattern axe too. I'm very excited to put them to use on future camping trips.
--Jeremy
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Just received what may be the final piece in my Hults Bruk collection, the Aneby 20" axe. I think it's just about as close as you can get to the GB Small Forest Axe, which is in turn just about as close as you can get to the Wetterlings SFA.

From left-right, that's the Kisa (26" felling axe), Aneby (20" Hunting Axe), and Almike (16" hatchet).

Reverse order here:

I like Hults Bruk because they're sold by REI, and I can get a good deal on them. This one ran $150 originally, and between my dividend (which they're now calling a Member Reward) and my 20% coupon, I only paid about $80. The quality may not be GB-level, but it's pretty darn good in my book. My Aneby came with fairly straight grain, a mirror-polished edge, and a satin-finished poll - pretty stoked on that. I've been buying one per year for the last 3 years, and now I've got all three that are sold by REI. Actually, I think they have a larger axe from the Agdor line, but I'm not sure I'll ever really need anything larger than 26". I might like an Akka eventually as well, which is a 24" handle with a lighter carpenter's head.

The Almike has been my fire pit companion the last year or so, and I don't expect that to change. Frankly, even if I was camping or backpacking, I don't think I'd need anything larger than the Almike as long as I also have my silky saw. That said, I am excited to use the Aneby, and see where it fits in.

Now, I just need to figure out how to sharpen axes better. I have a Hults bruk sharpening puck, but it's rather fine - I believe 600/1000 grit. Both my Almike and Kisa have small chips in them, and will take a LOT of freehand sharpening to address.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.