Which new tool did you buy or use today?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
JSumm

Re: Which new tool did you buy or use today?

Post by JSumm »

Bloke wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:10 pm
Hey JSumm, a man can never have enough sharpening gear, ay? Ah, hahaha! Looks like a cool little set up.

I’ve always used some sort of sharpening system cause I reckon I’m hopeless at free hand. I do touch up my SE HB Ladybug on SharpMaker rods though without the base and that goes all right, so I’ve taken to touching up all knives free hand of late on my old Double Stuff.

Let us know what you think after you use your new goodies. :cheap-sunglasses
I have some old freehand equipment, but needed something with lower grit. Their upgrade comes with 220. I have the precision adjust clamp system too and it works great. Lately, I have mostly been using their field sharpener for fun. The field sharpener is a great little tool.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

My Felo and Wera screwdrivers have finally arrived and I got clearance from the surgeon to actually use my right hand again. :party
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

JRinFL wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:53 am
My Felo and Wera screwdrivers have finally arrived and I got clearance from the surgeon to actually use my right hand again. :party
That is wonderful news, hope all goes well . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Just scored this!

They cost way more than your run of the mill X-Acto type hobby knives but handling the thing and a look at the way the blades are held leads me to think it’s well worth the few extra dollars.

Plus I doubt you’ll find sharper or “better” blades than the Japanese Tamiya’s. :smlling-eyes

A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Just bought a little belt sander to have less trouble with symmetry when i tinker and make scales.
I used to do this for old traditional knives so it was always better than before. However, I want my Mule's handle and the next ones to be : good, similar for testing, really thought out.

edit : I meant belt grinder (maybe? the traduction isn't easy, it's one or the other, not the one that is handeld)
Last edited by Ramonade on Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

New project means new tools. Installing cabinets today. Ryobi and other cordless tools have a brushless lineup now. Spend the extra money and always go brushless. Also, nothing against Husky tools. Ditched my Husky Crescent wrenches for the real deal.

- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Ramonade wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:49 am
Just bought a little belt sander ...
I’ll eventually get myself a little belt sander. They’re a handy thing to have.

I’m luck cause I have free access to a mate’s tool shed. He’s a builder but makes doll’s houses, rocking horses and the like for his grandkiddies and if I don’t have exactly what I need you can bet he does. :cheap-sunglasses
JSumm wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:28 pm
New project means new tools. ...
Cordless tools have come forward in leaps and bounds this last decade though I wasn’t aware of the brushless thing, so thanks heaps.

I’ll bare that in mind when shopping next. ;)

As adjustable spaniards go I’ve found the the older Bahco’s to be of high quality with close tolerances and near indestructible. I still have a 15” from my steel erecting days, a 12” somewhere, this little 6” and a 4”. They’re all close to 30 odd years old and as serviceable today as the day I bought them.

You may notice that even at full adjustment the “rack” barely extend the profile. :smlling-eyes

JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Bloke wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:22 pm
As adjustable spaniards go I’ve found the the older Bahco’s to be of high quality with close tolerances and near indestructible. I still have a 15” from my steel erecting days, a 12” somewhere, this little 6” and a 4”. They’re all close to 30 odd years old and as serviceable today as the day I bought them.

You may notice that even at full adjustment the “rack” barely extend the profile. :smlling-eyes

That Bahco looks great. Very interesting about the rack. It is like an integral part fully enclosed. Tolerances are definitely key with adjustable wrenches. Otherwise they do not hold their position well and end up being less convenient.

As far as the brushless motors, every major company selling here in the states now have an entire brushless motor line-up on their tools. They are still selling the older models, but my guess will phase them out eventually. Supposedly they last longer, so time will tell. I use the power drill the most, and I feel that is where you can really tell the difference. The torque is amazing. If you are putting a screw through wood it does not want push out and strip the screw. It just turns with ease even at low speed, so you have more control.

This is the hammer drill I have. I used their regular model for over 12 years. Did a Kitchen Reno last year and upgraded after the trigger mechanism started to burn up. The only thing I regret is not upgrading sooner. The extra torque from the Brushless motor make things so much easier.
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

JSumm wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 5:17 am
That Bahco looks great. Very interesting about the rack. ...
I think you’d be hard pressed to do better than the Bahco, Jeff.

I only have one cordless drill and that’s a Bosch. It’s prolly 10yrs old now and I’d be very surprised if it’s brushless but it hasn’t missed a beat. I hate reno’s but I’ve used it for two kitchen and two bathroom reno’s for our kids. :eye-roll

As it goes, I may need a few more power tools in the near future and brushless seems the logical way to go, so thanks for the heads up.

I haven’t done a thing around our place for about 10yrs I s’pose but this year we’re planning a full strip out and full reno. We’ll stay at my Mum and Dad’s place for the duration but I’m a lazy little bloke that dodges work as best I can, much to beloved wife chargrin. :smlling-eyes

I’m nearly having anxiety attacks just thinking about packing everything up. Ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha! :winking-tongue
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Well good luck in the Reno. We did a almost full Reno several years ago but didn't touch the bathrooms or kitchen. After that, we finished the basement. Kitchen and HVAC last year DIY. Baths this year. By the time we are done we will have a new house, but the kids will be gone and we will be moving to downsize. :rofl

A little progression of the Kitchen.
Before.
I lied. I did touch the Kitchen during the first Reno. Painted the cabinets. Removed some wall cabinets in favor of barn shelves, and added backsplash.
After

These projects give me anxiety too.
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Beautifully done mate. Looks great! :cheap-sunglasses
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Finished the weekend vanity and lighting project. One final tool. I was out of flat razors so went to buy more and did not realize they sell these 4" blades now. There is a dull scraper edge and razor edge. Works quick like.
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Bloke wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:03 pm
These little goodies arrived about an hour ago.

Incra is the best thing yet since the invention of the steel rule, I reckon. The rules are perforated with slots and holes for a 0.5mm clutch pencil and take the guess work out of marking up.

They cost a little more than your standard rules, though worth every penny I’d say. Ultimately time will tell but they appear well made.

A sharp scriber makes a good centre punch for small holes in wood. :cheap-sunglasses

Any progress, I really admire your hobby skills . Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Superflex

Post by Superflex »

Got a set of original Marples chisels this week and a few of my other Christmas goodies here.

Superflex

Post by Superflex »

JRinFL wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:56 am
I purchased some German hand tools a few weeks ago. I'd like to use them, but they never seem to ship. Still pending Chad!
Chad's toolbox can be slow. He's a drop shipper for a lot of items.
Bought a Wera bottle opener and it took almost a 45 days to ship and this was before Covid.
They seem to have the best prices but if I really want it quick, I go to KC Tool
Superflex

Post by Superflex »

MacLaren wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:07 pm
Gosh, we've had an ole West Germany Stihl 08S since the '70's and, I kid you not, she still fires right up.
That baby is bomb proof!
I should add that we've had to replace a part or two over the years, but that old gal has been magnificent.
We just used that big Jonsered for big timber.
It's funny in a way, I can sharpen saw chain a heck of a lot better than I can sharpen a knife.
Unless it's square chain, then forget about it, lol.
My father in law gave me his West German 026 AVS which is bullet proof. It cuts like saws with bigger displacement but is lighter and moddable.
RevMike

Post by RevMike »

I'm pretty excited about this ridiculously large set of Klein Tools SAE hex keys for now. I feel like it weighs as much as a brick so we'll have to see how excited I remain after carrying it around for a few days. 3/32-1/2" Figured I'd throw a tape and a Rescue 79 into the photo for scale.

404 :bug-red-white s in 81 steel flavors.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Haven't bought a new tool in a while, but recently I bought both versions of the mini Knipex pliers. Today I just ordered the small 7 pcs set of GearWrench ratcheting wrenches in SAE. I've had the metric version for ages and finally rounded out the set.

I need more tools like I need more pocket knives... ',:-|
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
RevMike

Post by RevMike »

Not really new or technically even a tool but I think a tool box counts. I just brought this home after 4-5 years at work in an area that I only really work in maybe 1 month of the year. Seemed foolish to have a set of tools there for no real reason. So it's a set of garage tools for when I'm too lazy to go down to the basement.

RevMike

Post by RevMike »

Just got this sweet new 8" Dayton Bench Grinder. It's my first digital and a big step up from the no-name/last-leg 6" that I had.