Which new tool did you buy or use today?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Capt'n Boatsalot

Re: Which new tool did you buy or use today?

Post by Capt'n Boatsalot »

MacLaren wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 6:01 pm

Nice saw, Cap'n! We have a few Stihls and we love em.
Can't go wrong with a Stihl 🙂
Mac, I agree. My dad has an 027 that is at least 20 years older than my own saw. Still running strong. I know other brands are great too, but my family has had great experience with the Stihls.
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 6:47 pm
No worries , I have a Farm Boss , and only problem ever was replacing primer bulb . Chain saws are fun !
There's few things I enjoy more than getting into timber and running through a few tanks. Wish I could do this more often. We're a few years away from buying more land, but that will happen soon enough.

Mine's been extremely solid too. Biggest lesson was how to consistently start it without flooding (only full choke until it first catches; then half choke until it starts). Only repair was to the throttle bail wire which worked itself loose from the housing. Fixed that at home with some heat to tighten the hole back up.

Learned to sharpen my own chains after the derecho leveled eastern Iowa in August of 2020. Another key lesson.
MNOSD member 0030
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Cool stuff, fellas!

It’s funny the old Farm Boss has come up because they’re popular here also. One property I used to shoot on I think they had three or four. :cheap-sunglasses
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Gosh, we've had an ole West Germany Stihl 08S since the '70's and, I kid you not, she still fires right up.
That baby is bomb proof!
I should add that we've had to replace a part or two over the years, but that old gal has been magnificent.
We just used that big Jonsered for big timber.
It's funny in a way, I can sharpen saw chain a heck of a lot better than I can sharpen a knife.
Unless it's square chain, then forget about it, lol.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Anyone looking for a 1/4” bit driver, I’ve had this for over a decade now and highly reckon it, Wiha Topra.

Excellent tool I reckon, with smart engineering. It’s ratchet-less with a fixed drive option, looks odd but affords good grip and purchase.

The bits aren’t anything special but handy as I didn’t have any security bits and this set is by Astro Pneumatics. I bought them for the cool name. Ah, hahaha!

RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Bloke wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:40 pm
I bought this older Starrett
Very nice!
You do machine work? I'm a hobbyist, and have a couple vintage surface gauges from my grandfather. I don't use them very often, but when one is needed, it's nice to have around.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

RustyIron wrote:
Thu Dec 23, 2021 12:20 am
Bloke wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:40 pm
I bought this older Starrett
Very nice!
You do machine work? I'm a hobbyist, and have a couple vintage surface gauges from my grandfather. I don't use them very often, but when one is needed, it's nice to have around.
G’day Rusty, sorry for the late reply.

I’m a toolmaker but trade and I used to build balsa wood and tissue paper planes that we flew with control lines when I was a little tacker.

Late in the latest lock down here, I bought a wooden model boat to build and I’m enjoying more than I thought I might. They’re fiddly things and require some little tools the average person doesn’t have laying around.

This electric plank bender arrived the other day. It’s just a simple soldering iron with a round heating head and comes with a timber form. You wet the plank/strip and use the form and heat to achieve the require bend.

murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

I had to buy a new set of Craftsman open end wrenches last week, other then that I haven’t bought anything since this summer.(Bought a new Stihl weedeater. Sounds just like my chainsaw haha)
Josh
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Hey Josh, I hadn’t bought new tools in a while either but my new found hobby has had me buy a few.

This is a pretty cool little saw. It has 0.008” blade stock and 32tpi, I think, maybe 42tpi(?) but 52tpi would have been better.

I was bitterly disappointed when I first bought it because it had a huge burr, particularly running down one side of the blade and the other side wasn’t much better.

I cleaned it up with a medium brown Spyder ceramic and called it good.

It works well now.

These little wooden bench seats that sit central to the 4mm plywood frames are only 7mm wide so there’s little room for error.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Santa score

Assortment of squares

Knife Vice

Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Pretty cool Andy, like the little square.

I still think in feet, inches and thousandths but it’s easier working in metric, I think.

Either ways I think it’s most often impractical putting both scales on rules etc. and prefer either all metric or all imperial on any given tool.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

These little goodies arrived about an hour ago.

Incra is the best thing yet since the invention of the steel rule, I reckon. The rules are perforated with slots and holes for a 0.5mm clutch pencil and take the guess work out of marking up.

They cost a little more than your standard rules, though worth every penny I’d say. Ultimately time will tell but they appear well made.

A sharp scriber makes a good centre punch for small holes in wood. :cheap-sunglasses

RocketJ

Post by RocketJ »

I’m fond of the older Jonsereds saws. I have a 111S, a 90, and a 621…….all in good shape and good working order. I just used the 621 the other day on a tree that the wind blew down across the neighbor’s driveway and was amazed at how good it still runs and cuts after all these years.
John
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

ImageThis just came in , little disappointed very dull . It does how some things going for it . Adjustable length and ambidextrous. It’s a keeper . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 6:34 pm
ImageThis just came in , little disappointed very dull . It does how some things going for it . Adjustable length and ambidextrous. It’s a keeper . MG2
Wait a second...
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Bought one of these today. Going to give it a try.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
But if you sharpen it won't it shorten the lifespan?

Asking for a friend. ;)
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

The Meat man wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:51 pm
Manixguy@1994 wrote:

Asking for a friend. ;)
Ha ha ha ! I know where this is going and I’m not touching it with a ten foot pole . Good one !
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:55 pm
The Meat man wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:51 pm
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
[img] https://i.postimg.cc/Z5F1zncp/C9965-B81 ... -E.jpgThis just came in , little disappointed very dull . It does how some things going for it . Adjustable length and ambidextrous. It’s a keeper . MG2

Asking for a friend. ;)
Ha ha ha ! I know where this is going and I’m not touching it with a ten foot pole . Good one !
Yeah I wasn't involved in that drama, but I couldn't resist this one. :winking-tongue
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

JSumm wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:32 pm
Bought one of these today. Going to give it a try.
Hey JSumm, a man can never have enough sharpening gear, ay? Ah, hahaha! Looks like a cool little set up.

I’ve always used some sort of sharpening system cause I reckon I’m hopeless at free hand. I do touch up my SE HB Ladybug on SharpMaker rods though without the base and that goes all right, so I’ve taken to touching up all knives free hand of late on my old Double Stuff.

Let us know what you think after you use your new goodies. :cheap-sunglasses
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Manix and Conner, ... Ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha!

Everyone’s a comedian! :star-struck