Words/Phrases You'd Like to Banish for 2022

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Re: Words/Phrases You'd Like to Banish for 2022

Post by Mad Mac »

Back on topic, do and don't, will and won't
have decent audibility and can be readily understood.
However, can and can't, did and didn't are less perceptible
and place the emPHAsis on the wrong sylLABle.

"You can NOT do that"
is much stronger than
"You CAN't do that."

Contractions make for weak and lazy speech.
Anything worth saying is worth delivering to the cheap seats.
Just one of my countless pet peeves.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
cjk

Post by cjk »

"be safe"
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

I always thought "Social Distancing" was odd.

Think back to 2019 or before. If you wore a mask in public, at work, or at some other gathering and stayed at least 6 feet from everyone people might think you were "anti-social" distancing. And think of what would happen if you walked into a bank wearing a mask back then? ;)
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

James Y wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:30 am
DSH007 wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:18 am
"Chief" or "boss." Especially when referred to as by the 17 year old lacrosse bro behind the deli counter.. "yo, what can I get you, boss?" Haha it's patronizing in a way that always irritates me..

I'd be ok with a lot of the knife ones disappearing too, though I've probably used them all to describe a knife at one point or another..

Oops. :winking-tongue

A lot of ex-cons say ‘boss.’ Maybe the kids who use it are trying to come across as hard.

Not a word or phrase, but something I’ve noticed a lot in recent years is when asked a question, many people answer by essentially repeating the entire question, instead of giving a short and simple answer. I’ve been noticing this more and more, which is annoying, IMO.

Example:

Q: “Mark had gone to a business meeting, and therefore was unable to attend the party?”

A: “Mark had gone to a business meeting and wasn’t able to attend the party.”

Jim
That's certainly possible, Jim, though I never really get they feeling they are saying it to be tough or disrespectful in any way.. rather, I think they think they are being genuinely respectful.. idk.. hahah maybe i'm off-base in my distaste for the term.. I've always just cringed when someone's called me "boss"..

I've also noticed people.. especially younger people.. answering a question by repeating back your entire question as a statement.. I noticed this many times while speaking with my cousins and my cousin's boyfriend (all in their early 20s) at our family Christmas party this year... I didn't really think much of it, but your bringing it up here reminded me.. definitely odd hahah.. maybe they they they are being clear, providing the most accurate possible answer? hahah idk.. a "yes" or "no" would suffice if you ask me!
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
James Y

Post by James Y »

DSH007 wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:43 pm
James Y wrote:
DSH007 wrote:
"Chief" or "boss." Especially when referred to as by the 17 year old lacrosse bro behind the deli counter.. "yo, what can I get you, boss?" Haha it's patronizing in a way that always irritates me..

I'd be ok with a lot of the knife ones disappearing too, though I've probably used them all to describe a knife at one point or another..

A lot of ex-cons say ‘boss.’ Maybe the kids who use it are trying to come across as hard.

Not a word or phrase, but something I’ve noticed a lot in recent years is when asked a question, many people answer by essentially repeating the entire question, instead of giving a short and simple answer. I’ve been noticing this more and more, which is annoying, IMO.

Example:

Q: “Mark had gone to a business meeting, and therefore was unable to attend the party?”

Jim
That's certainly possible, Jim, though I never really get they feeling they are saying it to be tough or disrespectful in any way.. rather, I think they think they are being genuinely respectful.. idk.. hahah maybe i'm off-base in my distaste for the term.. I've always just cringed when someone's called me "boss"..

I've also noticed people.. especially younger people.. answering a question by repeating back your entire question as a statement.. I noticed this many times while speaking with my cousins and my cousin's boyfriend (all in their early 20s) at our family Christmas party this year... I didn't really think much of it, but your bringing it up here reminded me.. definitely odd hahah.. maybe they they they are being clear, providing the most accurate possible answer? hahah idk.. a "yes" or "no" would suffice if you ask me!

🙂

About the habit of repeating the entire question…I sometimes wonder if they’re trying to work out in their mind what the person was asking? Or possibly lacking the spontaneity to form an answer in their own words? 🤔

Jim
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

Some questions can not be answered with certainty by merely saying yes or no.
For example: "Did you not pay the bill?"
(This confusing and accusatory syntax seems to be popular with women.
Or maybe it's only my wife who does that.)

Restating the question leaves no doubt.
"No, I paid the bill."
"No, I did not pay the bill."
Or:
"Yes, I paid the bill."
"Yes, I did not pay the bill."
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

James Y wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:51 pm
DSH007 wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:43 pm
James Y wrote:
DSH007 wrote:

Example:

Jim

🙂

About the habit of repeating the entire question…I sometimes wonder if they’re trying to work out in their mind what the person was asking? Or possibly lacking the spontaneity to form an answer in their own words? 🤔

Jim
This all makes a lot of sense too, Jim. And honestly, repeating my entire questions IS preferable to seventeen "like, umm, like"s preceding a "yes" or "no" response to my question hahah! :squinting-tongue
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

^^ excessive use of “like” - if you aren’t relating a simile, or professing your affection for some animal/vegetable/mineral, do NOT use it!