A Solution to a Non-Existent Problem?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
James Y

A Solution to a Non-Existent Problem?

Post by James Y »

First off, who cuts a tomato as shown at the beginning?

I will admit, the idea is clever, and the guy’s workmanship looks good. But IMO, this is a solution to a non-existent problem, if you have a basic ability to sharpen your knife. It would be much more cost and hassle to have to constantly replace the razor blades than to simply touch up a kitchen knife when it needs it. If many (most?) people won’t do a simple touch up, why would they go to the trouble of buying and installing new razor blades to replace the dull ones (and they will dull)? Not to mention the corrosion that will occur due to juices and gunk getting into the crevices of the attached parts.

When my Victorinox kitchen knives start losing their bite, it takes me literally seconds to restore the edge with my Sharpmaker’s white rods and a light strop on a strip of cardboard.

https://youtu.be/5ZchgU9KLOc

Jim
Evil D

Re: A Solution to a Non-Existent Problem?

Post by Evil D »

If he had at least done this with longer utility blades so they don't have gaps between them, but this is kinda silly.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Why don’t people know the difference between a razor blade and a utility blade?

Also, there is no way that is the worlds sharpest kitchen knife. I have a couple that I keep way sharper than the average utility knife blade and I’m not even a kitchen knife geek. Guys that geek out on Japanese kitchen knives and freehand sharpening are edge junkies far beyond most of us.

He’s a good craftsman and while it seems impractical it is cool. A lot of folks will appreciate it.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:45 pm
Why don’t people know the difference between a razor blade and a utility blade?

Also, there is no way that is the worlds sharpest kitchen knife. I have a couple that I keep way sharper than the average utility knife blade and I’m not even a kitchen knife geek. Guys that geek out on Japanese kitchen knives and freehand sharpening are edge junkies far beyond most of us.

He’s a good craftsman and while it seems impractical it is cool. A lot of folks will appreciate it.
Isn't it you that has a pretty impressive clip of slicing tomatoes or grapes extremely thin with a kitchen knife?
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Yeah, but the kitchen knife community is trying to split atoms. I’m not on that level. Still, I keep a couple knives sharper than most utility blades.

I do think that there is probably a big variation in quality of utility blades but most are meant to be disposable beater blades and they are not as sharp as an actual razor blade which is designed for shaving.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Not to get off topic and derail Jim's thread, but I definitely have a harder time trying to sharpen any of our kitchen knives vs all my folders and small fixed blades. Must be the grind and trying to match the angles. Are most kitchen knives convexed? Definitely gives me more appreciation at peoples sharpening abilities when I see how sharp some of these kitchen knives can get! I'm getting pretty good with ffg, but need to expand on other grinds. I just recently sharpened a filet knife for one of the guys at work. It was sharper than it was, and he seemed to be pretty happy with it, but I know it wasn't to my standards.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
benben

Post by benben »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:16 pm
Yeah, but the kitchen knife community is trying to split atoms. I’m not on that level. Still, I keep a couple knives sharper than most utility blades.

I do think that there is probably a big variation in quality of utility blades but most are meant to be disposable beater blades and they are not as sharp as an actual razor blade which is designed for shaving.
Split atoms! :squinting-tongue
I have four different Shun kitchen knives, even a hack like me can get them screaming sharp because they come SO thin behind the edge! There's a high end Asian fusion restaurant near my house, I've spoke to the sushi chef these several times, the guy is amazing to watch! He uses some homemade hand hammered knife his Dad made that is a razor! There's always several other Japanese knives laying around but he's always using that one knife.

The Shun's I have aren't the highest end knives out there, but I love mine, great value and definitely worth the money!
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

He may have a better idea than we see. So many people are completely in the dark about sharpening that disposable cutlery is a valid commercial prospect. Tigersharp knives were doing it what, 10 years ago? To some sharpening is as daunting a prospect as learning to speak a new language. I know some like that.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Don’t steal my thunder. I like resurrecting friends kitchen knives.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I've always felt sorry for people that think utility knife blades are sharp. I have to sharpen mine before I can stand to use them.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

yablanowitz wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:23 pm
I've always felt sorry for people that think utility knife blades are sharp. I have to sharpen mine before I can stand to use them.
Truth. They actually aren't all that sharp at all. Most times they can barely even slice paper. They cut so well because they are so thin.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Yeah, but the kitchen knife community is trying to split atoms...
Just tell them to use a laser.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Way more impressed by his Dremel skills than by the knife.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Does this guy also put a new tire over his flat tire?
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

The Deacon wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:07 pm
Way more impressed by his Dremel skills than by the knife.
I was thinking the same thing! Those pockets he “Dremel milled” out for the utility blades were surprisingly well done.
-Nick :bug-red
standy99

Post by standy99 »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Yeah, but the kitchen knife community is trying to split atoms.
Worked with a guy once that could slice atoms. This guy was good, a freak really. Never seen anyone break a body of beef so quick and clean.
(Funny story…. I watched him knock a cleaner out one day for taking he’s knife out of his kit and chopping the end of a hose of with it)

The Mastiff wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:03 pm
To some sharpening is as daunting a prospect as learning to speak a new language. I know some like that.
I have taught a lot of people to sharpen knives over the years being a ex-butcher and some take a bit of prompting. Some are keen to learn but a few are no….tried can’t do it here is more money make them sharp.

Most hunters I look after nowadays are not bad, and just drop off now and then to get that SPA treatment.

I love watching guys that get it and become good at it after a bit of time.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Put carbide blades in it and it would probably last for a long time.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"