Anyone use a safety razor?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Anyone use a safety razor?

Post by Doc Dan »

There is nothing wrong with a DE89! I have one and it is a superb shaver. I wish it had a steel or brass head instead of Zamax, but as far as ability, there are really not many better.

I've not used the Simpson brushes but I hear good things about them. The T3 is supposed to be particularly nice. I looked and couldn't find one over here. I love the looks, clean and simple.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:33 pm
Did you get the Electric Sheep or Electric Sheep Glacial?

It is a nice fresh, clean scent with lemon, eucalyptus, and I don't know what all.
I did not get the glacial. Should have got a sample of the B&M glacial but didn’t.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

anyone else here a fan of the B&M Lyssa?
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I've not tried that one. I like Barrister and Mann in general, though.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

As my eBay open comb head was so rubbish, I’ve ordered a Yaqi Mellon Head from the Yaqi direct store on Aliexpress - for less than 2 quid, delivered to the U.K. I think that sort of pricing is concerning, tbh. AFAIK that one isn’t a copy of anyones current model, but I wouldn’t order one of their Henson knock-offs on principle.

I used a new Chroma blade in my de89 this morning, Proraso pre-shave, Cella soap with my T3, then my new French alum block & Cella balm. Fantastic!
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Lyssa was a seasonal (pretty sure it ran concurrently with Hallows one year?) scent from a few years back and seems to have never been re-issued... there is however old stock still to be had.

the scent:

Despite no longer possessing an olfactory nerve, zombified subjects are inexplicably repelled by certain odors. We have combined several of these, notably rose, geranium, ashes, nutmeg, saffron, sage, oud, labdanum, oakmoss, patchouli, tobacco, and violets (specifically those taken from deceased persons) to produce a working zombie repellent. We have code named the formula Lyssa, after the virus which causes zombification, and have begun distributing it through a local company, Barrister and Mann, in the form of fragrance-equipped survival kits.

@ChrisinHove
that head looks identical to the RazoRock SLOC, not a bad head for me, but I still like the Merkur OC best of all the "basic" ones currently available.
-David

ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

awa54 wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:18 pm

@ChrisinHove
that head looks identical to the RazoRock SLOC, not a bad head for me, but I still like the Merkur OC best of all the "basic" ones currently available.
My bad. If I like it, I’ll buy an original. My consolation is that they can’t be making much profit from me on the copy.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

oh, the SLOC is no "original", it's a (Chinese?) zamak head that literally *anyone* can (and do) slap their own name/logo on and sell it.

if you really like mild-ish safety razors that are still very efficient, then eventually it might be worth trying the RazoRock Game Changer .68 Open Comb, it's one of the nicest combinations of un-demanding and over-performing, at least for me (as we all know YMMV).
-David

Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

awa54 wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 2:21 pm
oh, the SLOC is no "original", it's a (Chinese?) zamak head that literally *anyone* can (and do) slap their own name/logo on and sell it.

if you really like mild-ish safety razors that are still very efficient, then eventually it might be worth trying the RazoRock Game Changer .68 Open Comb, it's one of the nicest combinations of un-demanding and over-performing, at least for me (as we all know YMMV).
I have the RR GC in .68 and .84. I vastly prefer the Henson for a mild, smooth, but efficient shave. The GC's are really good, but the Hensons leave most razors in the dust so it is not a mark against RR.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 11:09 pm

I have the RR GC in .68 and .84. I vastly prefer the Henson for a mild, smooth, but efficient shave. The GC's are really good, but the Hensons leave most razors in the dust so it is not a mark against RR.
Oh, I agree, the Hensons are amazing, but not every razor is for every shaver... and IMHO all OC fans owe it to themselves to try a GC open comb head eventually.

As I noted earlier, I can't use a Henson, because I get too close a shave with it, the GC .68 OC on the other hand gives me just the perfect increment *worse* shave and with just as much smoothness (though it is a bit more demanding of the "driver" and of blade selection), as does the Mamba .53, which is also very nearly as "push-button" as the Henson.

Also most other DE heads have better lather handling than the Henson, I find that it either floats on dense lather, or removes most of the lather *before* the blade passes, if the lather is thinner or you use more pressure.
-David

Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

awa54 wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:12 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 11:09 pm

Oh, I agree, the Hensons are amazing, but not every razor is for every shaver... and IMHO all OC fans owe it to themselves to try a GC open comb head eventually.

As I noted earlier, I can't use a Henson, because I get too close a shave with it, the GC .68 OC on the other hand gives me just the perfect increment *worse* shave and with just as much smoothness (though it is a bit more demanding of the "driver" and of blade selection), as does the Mamba .53, which is also very nearly as "push-button" as the Henson.

Also most other DE heads have better lather handling than the Henson, I find that it either floats on dense lather, or removes most of the lather *before* the blade passes, if the lather is thinner or you use more pressure.
Yes, the Game Changer is a really good razor and I enjoyed mine for a good while. I still get it out, from time to time. I have never tried the Mamba. It has a very low blade gap, I see.

One thing about the Henson and the Game Changer, blades make a big difference in how they shave and in blade feel. Some blades are sharper, some milder, some wider, some narrower. Finding the right blade for a razor for a person's particular face is the key to happiness with any razor. It can take a good bit of trial and error to do that.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Ric

Post by Ric »

That's so true Doc Dan.

Used my medium titanium Henson with the RK. It felt aggressive. Changed now to a feather and it's so much smoother.

Overall I like the feather blades in all razors.

I wanted to buy a omega brush in Italy.
Asked in 10 stores. I only got a 6 EUR cheap one. The hairs are too hard. Did not make a good lather.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Ric wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:27 am
That's so true Doc Dan.

Used my medium titanium Henson with the RK. It felt aggressive. Changed now to a feather and it's so much smoother.

Overall I like the feather blades in all razors.

I wanted to buy a omega brush in Italy.
Asked in 10 stores. I only got a 6 EUR cheap one. The hairs are too hard. Did not make a good lather.
Wait till I get my AP Shave Co brush with the G5A knot. It is supposed to be far better than even an Omega Evo. Woodpuppy got one of the knots from them and a handle elsewhere. I assume he will chime in when he gets his glued and uses it.

I saved a lot of money by buying from the scratch and dent sale on the handle. It is cheaper than the Omega Evo doing it that way, but next I think I'll talk to Andrew about making me a special handle.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Ric

Post by Ric »

Yes, please review the brush here. And provide the full name so that I can search where to get here in Europe.

Which handle would you like?

I saw a deer horn brush that I liked in a small shop. But it was only a set and costed 400 EUR.
No thanks.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Ric wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:10 pm
Yes, please review the brush here. And provide the full name so that I can search where to get here in Europe.

Which handle would you like?

I saw a deer horn brush that I liked in a small shop. But it was only a set and costed 400 EUR.
No thanks.
The name is AP Shave Co. https://apshaveco.com/

Andrew used PostNL to send my brush. How that happened from Canada I have no idea. He has drops of handles periodically and you can buy those with or without the bristles. He just had a drop on July 24th of the handcrafted handles. I understand, however, that you can email him and discuss making you a special handle to your design and color specifications. A couple of people have done that of whom I am aware.

I got a blue with clear in the scratch and dent sale. I only paid $6.99 for the handle, but I got a good G5C knot, which is the most important part, to me. I didn't want to spend a lot of money and the brush not be any better than what I already have. I have been assured by a number of people that it will be, however. If I like it as much as I hope then I plan to have him make me one more to my liking.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Ric

Post by Ric »

Thanks for the link.
Sounds nice.
Which color, style will the handle be?
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

…. and I’ve just ordered a Henson Al +++. Darn all you enablers, how do you sleep at night!!! :winking-tongue
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Ric wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 5:06 am
Thanks for the link.
Sounds nice.
Which color, style will the handle be?
I got the blue with clear...in the scratch and dent. They also have red/clear; black/clear; and rose gold metal flake in the scratch and dents right now. If you order, select the option that tells him to put your brush and knot together so that you won't have to do it. Don't forget to order the knot. Andrew will advise you on a knot (hair), as he did me, if you need it. I wanted synthetic because it dries faster and takes less care.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I just assembled my brush this morning and will use it tomorrow. It’s quite different than my other/first synthetic brush, so I’m really looking forward to trying it out.

https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/th ... t-11866743

B60981E7-E8BF-4BFD-8B17-72FE12C96B69.jpeg
Ric

Post by Ric »

@ChrisinHove
You can thank us later :D
You will like it.

@Doc Dan
Nice color combos.