Anyone use a safety razor?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Anyone use a safety razor?

Post by Doc Dan »

prndltech wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 7:05 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 6:39 am
prndltech wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:46 pm
I have a purple medium inbound… I only shave my head so we’ll see how it goes
Very good. You'll like it. I know Henson recommends the mild for heads, but I don't think the medium will be an issue. The learning curve is the issue. Just keep the angle right and don't press much.
I did quite a bit of research and seems like pretty much everyone was in agreement that even the medium is a very mild shaver compared to others. I do want a little noise/feedback
It is very nice. I did nick myself on my head once with my medium, but it was only surface. The mild, never. I think you are going to love it. It glides across like a slug on a bed of salt, like snot on a brass doorknob, like a hockey puck on new ice. Sometimes I get a feeling of a little suction and discovered that is the blade being efficient. Very nice. Give us some pics when you get it. That purple is really good looking.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I’m extremely happy with the mild. I’d like to try a medium, but not enough to shell out 1/2 Spyderco money 😁

But I won’t buy a Ti without trying the medium 🤔

And I do kinda want the Ti…

Both Astra and Feather blades work well in my mild. I honestly can’t really tell a difference between them. Either will work as far as I’m concerned. I get equally good results using a shave cream and brush at the sink as I do with canned foam in the shower. My Mach 3’s are trash now, there’s no going back!
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

The Feather and the Astra are my favorites in the Henson, for sure. I did get a decent shave with a Gillette 7 O'Clock. I am going to try a Shark, tomorrow.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I like that color. I have a medium in that color. I see you use that expensive soap (at least it is expensive over here). I'm too cheap. I use La Toja, Edwin Jagger, Barrister and Mann, etc.

That Feather blade is probably my favorite, but the Astra that came with the razor is a good second choice.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Ric

Post by Ric »

A bit too aggressive for me. :)
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Yeah, too much blade feel 😂
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Arg dupe “you’re posting too fast” and “someone has posted a reply to this topic”. Little did I know I was the one who just posted.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Hahaha! You did it to yourself! :winking-tongue :grin-squint :grin-squint

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

I got my Henson medium in, first head shave was a breeze. No nicks, no weepers, good results.I don’t know the difference first hand but i do believe im glad I didn’t go mild.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Good for you! There is not a lot of difference. The medium is a bit for efficient. Once the proper angle becomes second nature you will get nothing but wonderful shaves. I love my Hensons. Today, I shaved with an antique Gillette Tech fat handle from the 40's. I used a Swedish Gillette 7AM blade that the same person gave me. I got a pretty good shave, too. However, I was really missing my Henson at each stroke.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

How many shaves do you typically get from a feather blade? I’ve failed to keep count, but it’s more than 5 and based on this morning’s results it may be time to switch.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

My 1st Feather was definitely below par on its 4th.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Three or four and I have to change. Feathers are super sharp but lose that keenness quickly. They are known for durability as some other blades are but that are not as sharp.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Monday, I'm sending that antique 1940's Gillette off to have it re-plated. There is nothing much of the plating left and it is mostly just brass showing. It used to be gold plated.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Ok, so far in my limited DE experience the Astra blade last longer than the feathers, and at least to date in a mild Henson I can’t tell the difference between them when new. But I’ve only used one of each. I may need to sell some Spydercos to fund a ti medium!
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I also think the Astra lasts longer, but for me it is not as sharp. Here is a guy who has attempted to actually put razor blades through the same tests knife blades are put through. His sharpness chart has three pages of blades below the first chart. I missed it initially. Then, there is a durability chart.
https://www.refinedshave.com/razor-blad ... s-summary/

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sat Feb 26, 2022 8:56 pm
His sharpness chart has three pages of blades below the first chart.

Upon my first reading of the data, I thought, "This makes no sense! BS!" But then I realized that lower numbers are better. After that, the data didn't seem so crazy.

I agree about the Astra blades. They seem to last a long time. I go back and forth between Astra and Feather. A Feather blade is toast after about four shaves, and if I push it, it just becomes unpleasant. But if I change the blade when I should, life is glorious. This morning was a new Feather blade. It's 9 p.m., and I'm still presentable.

Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Yeah, those numbers got me too, but then I read it. It made better sense. Lower = sharper. Duh!

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050