Anyone use a safety razor?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Xformer

Re: Anyone use a safety razor?

Post by Xformer »

I did for some time, but it was too annoying and sometime dangerous especially around the neck area. I use a metal safety razor now and I don't regret it one bit.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Xformer wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:38 am
I did for some time, but it was too annoying and sometime dangerous especially around the neck area. I use a metal safety razor now and I don't regret it one bit.
A metal safety razor, as in one you put a single double edged blade in, and not one of those disposable top multi blade things?

The Henson I bought my wife is supposed to be safe and not cut your skin. Some guys use them when they need to shave in a hurry because they do not have to worry about getting cut. When hers comes tomorrow or the next day, I am going to shave with it and find out. I'll let you know. They are not expensive and the blades are 10 cents and don't fill up landfills with plastic.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Xformer

Post by Xformer »

Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:21 am
Xformer wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:38 am
A metal safety razor, as in one you put a single double edged blade in,
Yes, that's what I use. We have the same worry about plastic. I try to buy the least disposable plastic stuff.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Doc Dan wrote:
I am going to shave
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Doc Dan wrote:
The Henson I bought my wife is supposed to be safe and not cut your skin. Some guys use them when they need to shave in a hurry because they do not have to worry about getting cut. When hers comes tomorrow or the next day, I am going to shave with it and find out. I'll let you know. They are not expensive and the blades are 10 cents and don't fill up landfills with plastic.
Dan, that Henson you linked looks really cool - please let us know how your like it once it comes in. I think that's the first time I've considered buying another razor.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

kennethsime wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:47 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Dan, that Henson you linked looks really cool - please let us know how your like it once it comes in. I think that's the first time I've considered buying another razor.
I'll let you know. it should be here tomorrow or the next day. I hope to be able to test it tomorrow night. Right now, it has to beat my EJ DE89, which out shaves my Razorock Game Changer with either head (although by a small margin). However, I've been told to expect a mild feeling smooth shave in which I will not think the blade is doing anything and then find my face surprisingly smooth. I called Henson and spoke to one of the owners named Jonathan (I think). Nice guy. He recommended that I buy the medium for myself. He said I will get a good shave with the standard that I bought my wife, but the medium might be more to my liking because I shave with those other two razors and like them. He also said that the categories of efficient, aggressive, and etc. do not apply the same way with Henson razors as with regular razors. The Henson experience is different. We'll see. If this works out, this could be the razor that allows fast shaves when in a hurry without worry of getting cut.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

If anyone is interested, I found a great forum called Badger and Blade to hang out and discuss razors (including straight razors and safety razors) and everything related to shaving.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

My wife's new razor. It shaves really nice, as long as you keep that flat angled part on your face. Then, you have no blade feel at all and it shaves nice and close. This is the mild version. I am going to get a medium in January. I am not sure what color, though. I am torn between blue, that golden brassy tan, black, or Military Green (Olive).

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Green for me, but I’ll wait for your review. ;-)

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

kennethsime wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:45 pm
Green for me, but I’ll wait for your review. ;-)
With the mild, which is the normal one, I got a good shave when I held it the way intended. When held properly and without pressing, the razor felt so smooth it was as if I were simply wiping off the foam. There was no blade feel at all, then.

I'll let you know about the medium, but it will be next month, sometime. This is a nicely made razor. All of the tolerances are extremely tight and the tungsten insert to keep aluminum on aluminum scraping when putting on the handle fits like it was molded into the plate. Very nice touches. The top cap, where you load the razor, has two protrusions, like normal. These fit into two corresponding holes in the lower plate that is a very exact fit. Because of this, there is no wiggling of the blade, even before putting on the handle. Really nice.

The fact that this company makes parts for satellites, the Mars Rover, the International Space Station, and a lot of other things that require tight tolerances and extreme quality really shows up on the razor.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

kennethsime wrote:
Green for me
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Bloke is back and at it, again! :zany :') :') :')

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Bloke wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:26 pm
kennethsime wrote:
Green for me
Hey I’m not fat, just big boned!

Bloke

Post by Bloke »

:smiling-halo
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I figured out the riddle of the Henson. It has a different angle for shaving than my other razors by about 10*. My other razors shave at close to 30*, but the Henson is pre-set at maybe 35* to 40* or something. Anyway, once it is on your face at the right angle it is amazing.

I have been experimenting with different blades in my Edwin Jagger DE89 and RazoRock Game Changer .68-P and .84-P. For my face (only) I have found that the Feather blade in the DE89 is unbeatable. The shave is close and smooth. However, the Feather in either Game Changers is slightly harsh for my liking (me only), though I get a good shave. I tried Gillette Wilkinson Sword in all of them and did not like that blade at all. It was snagging and dragging. I tried the milder Rapira blade in the Game Changer .84 and while that did tone it down, it was still not as smooth and gentle as the DE89. I am going to try it in the .68 later with a 24 hour beard and see what that is like. Next up will be the Voshkod blade.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

Bloke wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:44 am
Doc Dan wrote:
I am going to shave
I'll bet he has a 5 o'clock shadow at about 8 am. :winking-tongue
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Okay. I put the Rapira blade in the Game Changer .68 and it did a wonderful job. So, apparently, since these razors are a bit more aggressive than my DE89 they need a slightly milder blade. Nice to know.

Tomorrow I am going to try the Feather blade in the Henson (before I had an Astra in it) which is uber sharp.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Very interested in this, subbed!
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Okay. I used the Feather in the Henson and it did really well. I mean, I got a shave as good as I can get, or better with any multi-blade throw away or cartridge razor. Two passes and done.

Yesterday, I got out my Game Changer. I was thinking of selling it because, though it shaved close, it was sort of harsh. At the advice of the guy at the shop I put a milder Voshkod blade in it and WOW! The shave was baby butt smooth in only two passes. My wife even commented on how smooth my face was. Not only that, the razor itself was very smooth on my skin. No harshness, no dragging, no pulling, just smooth and gentle.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Fascinating. I’ve always operated under the assumption that a razor blade is a razor blade. Clearly not. Would you describe the blade by sharpness only, or is there a degree of spring stiffness that plays a part in their performance? I can see how the Henson would be unaffected by any blade springiness since it is so thoroughly supported out to the edge. But other models seem to have varying degrees of unsupported blade material.