Anyone use a safety razor?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Anyone use a safety razor?

Post by Doc Dan »

Does anyone use one of the old fashioned safety razors? I started shaving with those. I was thinking about getting one. What are some good brands?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Pokey

Re: Anyone use a safety razor?

Post by Pokey »

I started using one a couple of months ago. I got one of the cheap, short handle, Van Der Hagen double edge (DE) razors for about $18 just to see how it does. I have a single data point when it comes to razors, the Van Der Hagen.

Initially I thought I might like to get an adjustable razor, but I'm finding the longer I use this one the more I can adjust my technique and do a good job without cuts or razor burn. There is one thing I don't like about this Van Der Hagen. It has some sharp edges on the corners of the razor head. I thought I goofed and nicked myself with the edge of the razor, but no it's just the sharp ends of the razors' head that scrapes me every now and then. (Note to self, keep the blade on my skin, not the side of the razor.) I'm thinking about getting a Merkur DE razor. They're well spoken of, so then I'll have two data points.

Luckily, there's a shave shop near me, so I can buy small quantities of different blades to try out. I've tried different blades and found only one brand that didn't work as well right out of the box. (Anyone want to try some Rockwell Razors' blades? I can send you some.) For me the Van Der Hagen, Personna Blue Label, and Feather Hi-Stainless blades work real well. I'm thinking about using a new Merkur Super Platinum blade next.

There's another topic here in the Off-Topic Forum where people chimed in about DE razors. (Here it is: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=90602&p=1571151&hil ... r#p1571151) I'll be interested in reading the posts here, too.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:51 am
Does anyone use one of the old fashioned safety razors? I started shaving with those. I was thinking about getting one. What are some good brands?
First thing to consider is the material. And the only solution to that question is stainless steel. "Mostly" stainless steel isn't good enough. Even a teeny steel or aluminum part will eventually deteriorate.

The other thing to consider is precision. The blade needs to be held in the handle at exactly the right angle, every single time. If it's not right, then the red stuff leaks out of your face. And Murphy pretty much guarantees it will be when you're in a hurry to an important meeting where you have to look good, but you look like you just went five rounds in the octagon.

In my humble opinion, you want 100% stainless, a simple design to ensure precision blade alignment, and... I guess that's it. This is what I use. And it checks both the boxes.

http://smile.amazon.com/Feather-Stainle ... B004E5GV82
RLR

Post by RLR »

Merkur. Period. Good quality, good price, and enough choice to suit your style. Long handle, short handle, closed comb, open comb, etc... check them out. As for blades, I always recommend Astra. There are a million choices though. Have fun.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

RustyIron wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:45 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:51 am
First thing to consider is the material. And the only solution to that question is stainless steel. "Mostly" stainless steel isn't good enough. Even a teeny steel or aluminum part will eventually deteriorate.

The other thing to consider is precision. The blade needs to be held in the handle at exactly the right angle, every single time. If it's not right, then the red stuff leaks out of your face. And Murphy pretty much guarantees it will be when you're in a hurry to an important meeting where you have to look good, but you look like you just went five rounds in the octagon.

In my humble opinion, you want 100% stainless, a simple design to ensure precision blade alignment, and... I guess that's it. This is what I use. And it checks both the boxes.

http://smile.amazon.com/Feather-Stainle ... B004E5GV82
Yes, I agree. Such razors are expensive over here, but worth it if I go this route. I will look for the Feather brand.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

RLR wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:07 pm
Merkur. Period. Good quality, good price, and enough choice to suit your style. Long handle, short handle, closed comb, open comb, etc... check them out. As for blades, I always recommend Astra. There are a million choices though. Have fun.
Merkur is one of the brands I am looking at. So many options, though. I want one that is adjustable for blade depth.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Since I’m just getting back into using one of these I went with a Japanese made Feather. It was a lot cheaper, here. If I keep doing this I’ll get a more expensive model.

Modern multi blade razors are not as good as I remember a safety razor as being and they cause ingrown hairs. I guess I need to invest in a stiptic pencil and some different shaving cream.

Edit: Changed my mind. See below.
Last edited by Doc Dan on Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

I have two Merkurs and use Feather blades - best shaving solution by a mile for me.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Wet shaving and safety razors has totally changed my shaving experience.

I use set from Müle at home and a travel razor from Merkur on the go.
It's the only two safety razors I've tried, so I have nothing to compare them against, but compared to multi-blade crap and shavers, they are head and shoulders above. I actually look forward to shaving.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I use an Edwin Jagger DE89 and my wife uses a Merkur 180 long handle. We use Feather blades. That has been our setup for over ten years.

I would recommend either one.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I changed my mind. I went with an Edwin Jagger DE89L instead of the Feather. I found out that the Feather was the el cheapo model with plastic in the head that can break. I Edwin Jagger is supposed to have very good fit and finish, something important when you have a sharp blade in it that could otherwise move when in use.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:39 am
I use an Edwin Jagger DE89 and my wife uses a Merkur 180 long handle. We use Feather blades. That has been our setup for over ten years.

I would recommend either one.
I did change my mind after I posted above. I returned the Feather and got the Edwin Jagger DE89L (L = longer handle for my big hands).

I'm glad you like yours. What blades do you use and what shaving cream?

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

I used a new Merkur Super, Platinum plated blade this morning. Wow, what a difference! It's very sharp with very little irritation.

I noticed right away that I could feel the razor on my skin, but not the blade as it cut. I was able to do a real clean job in the crease half way between my lower lip and chin, something I haven't done with any of the other blades, so far. (or with the old disposable bladed razors)

I've been using the Van Der Hagen Shave Butter instead of aerosol foam or shave soap.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I have always used feather blades. For cream, I’m not picky. I’ll use cheap foam, bar soap or whatever girly gel foam my wife uses.

I hope you like the Edwin Jagger. It’s been good to me.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

There was another thread about this recently.

I like my Merkur Futur 700 quite a bit. One of the hardest things to learn with a DE razor is to let the weight of the razor do the work, rather than your hand. The added heft of the Futur helps reinforce this behavior, I think. Though it's adjustable, I pretty much always use the 2 setting. I've owned 2 in 15 years, because I lost the first one in a move.

I've used a variety of blades, but the Merkur are my absolute favorite. Feather are good too, but I cut myself more with those. Everything else I've tried is basically trash. Like Pokey mentioned, I notice less irritation overall with the Merkur blades, and they're still only $1/ea. Consider I use each blade for at least a week, that's not bad at all.

I've messed around with a few shaving soaps, but it's really hard to beat this Pacific Shaving Company cream. A little goes a long way, and I just lather it directly on my face. I'm still on my first bottle over a year later.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

kennethsime wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:09 pm
There was another thread about this recently.

I like my Merkur Futur 700 quite a bit. One of the hardest things to learn with a DE razor is to let the weight of the razor do the work, rather than your hand. The added heft of the Futur helps reinforce this behavior, I think. Though it's adjustable, I pretty much always use the 2 setting. I've owned 2 in 15 years, because I lost the first one in a move.

I've used a variety of blades, but the Merkur are my absolute favorite. Feather are good too, but I cut myself more with those. Everything else I've tried is basically trash. Like Pokey mentioned, I notice less irritation overall with the Merkur blades, and they're still only $1/ea. Consider I use each blade for at least a week, that's not bad at all.

I've messed around with a few shaving soaps, but it's really hard to beat this Pacific Shaving Company cream. A little goes a long way, and I just lather it directly on my face. I'm still on my first bottle over a year later.
I looked at the Futur, but over here they want an arm and a leg for it, so I had to pass. The next one I buy will fully stainless steel. No zinc, no plastic. There are a number of companies that make these. Somewhere along they way I lost my old Gillette safety razor. It really shaved well, but I was forced to start using those disposable razors because I was always away from the barracks out in the field. I didn't go back to the safety razor, but wish I had.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Doc Dan wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:58 pm
I looked at the Futur, but over here they want an arm and a leg for it, so I had to pass. The next one I buy will fully stainless steel. No zinc, no plastic. There are a number of companies that make these. Somewhere along they way I lost my old Gillette safety razor. It really shaved well, but I was forced to start using those disposable razors because I was always away from the barracks out in the field. I didn't go back to the safety razor, but wish I had.
The Futur is about twice as expensive as the entry-level Merkurs here, but I haven't regretted it. At any rate, both are a lot cheaper than year's worth of disposable refills, and offer a much better shave.

I have an old Gillette from my Grandfather or Great Grandfather- my Grandma wasn't sure when she passed it on. The box looks like it's from the 40s. I've yet to try it, but I'm sure it'd work just fine. Good stuff.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:46 pm

I have always used feather blades. For cream, I’m not picky. I’ll use cheap foam, bar soap or whatever girly gel foam my wife uses.
I've never tried to figure out the economics of shaving soap. It would take effort to do so, but I suspect expensive soap might be cheaper. I strongly recommend Saponifico Varesino soap, in whatever fragrance appeals to you. And get a silver-tip badger brush. While many might be averse to throwing down forty bucks on a puck of soap, that puck will last close to a year.

When traveling, I"ll often use canned shaving cream. It's truly awful. The cream is always overwhelming with artificial chemical perfumes that feels like I've sprayed my face with oven cleaner. Try the real stuff and it might be hard to go back.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Have any of you tried Rockwell or Karve razors?

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

I got a Parker Variant adjustable razor last week. The size of the head is larger than the Van Der Hagen I used originally, and after a couple of shaves, I think I'm getting my technique dialed in to get a good shave. It does feel like I've gotten more razor burn, but that may change as I tweak the technique.

https://www.parkershaving.com/p/vargr-v ... ety-razor/