Anyone use a safety razor?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Ric

Re: Anyone use a safety razor?

Post by Ric »

The sensitive series is the white one.
Green is the original I think, with mint, quite „sharp“.
Red is sandalwood.

TI22 arrived today at 10am. Bad luck I shaved in the morning.
The razor looks nice. Much better than the AL version.

Packaged in soft paper case and plastic bag around it. Looks like somebody played soccer with it.
But the razor is fine. Came with a pack of RK blades. Will test it the next days.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I really like Feather blades in mine, but they are so sharp I have to be careful. I also have become impressed with Super Nacet blades.

One thing about the Ti22 is that it is enough heavier than the AL13 that you can simply let the weight of the razor do the job instead of pressing a little like you have to do with an AL13.

Overall, that Ti22 feels rich and luxurious.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Ric

Post by Ric »

Used TI and AL today.
AL feels smoother. Maybe related to the feather blade.
Up to now the AL feels softer and more skin friendly. Rides smoother.

I think I need much more shaves with both...

Anyways, both are a joy to use!!!
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Don't press with the Ti like you can with the AL. Just let the weight of the razor do its job.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Ric

Post by Ric »

Had to use pliers again to unscrew my AL13.
I ordered a new one, let's see how it is with it.

The TI and AL mild has no issue.

Does your TI razors also get some patina?
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Ric wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 7:50 am
Up to now the AL feels softer and more skin friendly.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Ric

Post by Ric »

:D
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I was thinking about value. What is the best value in a good safety razor? I'd have to say finding a Gillette Tech in good condition is probably the best value. The shave is impeccable and they can be found from $15 to $39.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Osok-308

Post by Osok-308 »

Ric wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 12:49 pm
Red is sandalwood.
Yep. So far I've used the sensitive one and the sandalwood. Both smell and work great. I'm gonna try original next.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Ric wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 1:46 am
Had to use pliers again to unscrew my AL13.
I ordered a new one, let's see how it is with it.

The TI and AL mild has no issue.

Does your TI razors also get some patina?
My Ti has not developed a patina. It might, but not so far. I've got it loaded with a new Gillette Super Nacet ready for in the morning.

Pliers? that is pretty extreme. When mine gets stuck, I just use a towel, head and handle, to give me more grip.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Osok-308 wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 10:29 am
Ric wrote:
Red is sandalwood.
Yep. So far I've used the sensitive one and the sandalwood. Both smell and work great. I'm gonna try original next.
Let me know what you think. I'm interested in this, but over here it is expensive. I want to be a bit more informed before I run out and buy.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Takuan

Post by Takuan »

My wife bought me a Henson AL13 about 3 weeks ago and its the best razor I've ever used. I have a thick beard and sensitive skin (and to make matters worse, my neck is always getting chewed up by collar-chokes in Jiu-Jitsu). This razor gives me the least irritation and closest shave I've ever experienced. I also appreciate that I'm no longer constantly chucking plastic disposable razor blades into the landfill.
"We cannot live better than in seeking to become better."
--Socrates
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Doc Dan wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 7:52 pm
I really like Feather blades in mine, but they are so sharp I have to be careful. I also have become impressed with Super Nacet blades.
I've been using Nacets for a couple months. I like them... maybe more than Feathers. With the Feathers, if I'm in a hurry, it's easy to scrape off a little extra meat with the whiskers. The Nacets don't do that, but they seem to give me just as close a shave. More experimentation is needed.
Osok-308

Post by Osok-308 »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 8:42 am
Osok-308 wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 10:29 am
Ric wrote:
Red is sandalwood.
Let me know what you think. I'm interested in this, but over here it is expensive. I want to be a bit more informed before I run out and buy.
Will do. I'm pretty impressed with the sandalwood so far. The sensitive series isn't bad at all, I can't recall scent. Honestly, going to a safety razor decreased my razor burn substantially, so I don't notice a difference in feel between the sensitive and "non-sensitive" versions.
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

Doc Dan wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 11:18 pm
I was thinking about value. What is the best value in a good safety razor? I'd have to say finding a Gillette Tech in good condition is probably the best value. The shave is impeccable and they can be found from $15 to $39.

Running around to thrift stores and antique stores around Denver I've found the thrift stores don't have any razors. I think people shop at thrift stores to buy products to use. I imagine a donation of an old shaving razor probably gets tossed due to the increased awareness of germs. I've found most of the antique stores have old straight razors or single edge safety razors. I think people buying old razors at antique shops want one to clean up and use, not to just look at.

Other than the 1958 Gillette Super Speed, (twist to open, refurbished, $65,) I bought, most of the old razors I've picked up have been in the $6-$25 range.

The Gillette Techs are pretty simple, and being a non-adjustable you just use a different brand or type of blade to suit your preferences.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Estate sales and yard sales are good places to look. Also, "antique" shops and such places might have them. It is a treasure hunt.

These razors are coming back in demand and people are snapping them up as fast as they find then, it seems.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Ric

Post by Ric »

Got my new AL13. It is from the same batch (serial number). It does not have that stickiness.
So the issue was the handle.

I gave the head now to my travel Merkur.
The handle I throwed away.

Still trying to get used to the TI…
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

You are going to love it. I've been shaving with my Ti22 for the last few days, after having doing my testing with the Super Nacet in the AL13 mild and medium and Gillette Tech. Great shavers all. I get a great shave each and every time using the Super Nacet blades, just like I do with Feathers.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Takuan wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 10:54 am
My wife bought me a Henson AL13 about 3 weeks ago and its the best razor I've ever used. I have a thick beard and sensitive skin (and to make matters worse, my neck is always getting chewed up by collar-chokes in Jiu-Jitsu). This razor gives me the least irritation and closest shave I've ever experienced. I also appreciate that I'm no longer constantly chucking plastic disposable razor blades into the landfill.
How's the Henson treating you? Superbly, I assume. Now, you can try different brands of blades and jump down the rabbit hole with us. The good thing is that blade sampler packs don't cost much at all.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Takuan

Post by Takuan »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 11:30 pm
How's the Henson treating you? Superbly, I assume. Now, you can try different brands of blades and jump down the rabbit hole with us. The good thing is that blade sampler packs don't cost much at all.
It’s excellent! My wife bought me a massive pack of replacement blades, so it might be a year before I’m in the market for new ones. I’ll have to try some of the brands you recommend above. Thanks!
Last edited by Takuan on Sun May 29, 2022 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
"We cannot live better than in seeking to become better."
--Socrates