Anyone use a safety razor?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
ChrisinHove

Re: Anyone use a safety razor?

Post by ChrisinHove »

I’ve been using the Henson ++ of late, but I’ve a long day & evening ahead so put a standard blade in the +++ and wow! I’d almost forgotten how close this one gets. Careful prep & use, and zero nicks or irritation.

Whilst in Florence last month SWMBO kindly bought me some artisanal shaving soap (Goodfellas Sea Citrus) and a locally made Fontani horse-hair brush in olive wood handles.

I’m just blown away by the soap. It’s fantastic and so I may never go back to big brand types.

The brush is interesting. More rigid than my bushy, synthetic Simpsons T3, it lathers less (probably needs a bowl) and has a very different feel in use. It was important to me to use a harvested natural product, not a farmed one, if you know what I mean.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

For Fat Friday I used my custom Rudy Vey brush and Mitchel's Wool Fat shaving soap. For the shave I used a 1946-49 Gillette Gold Fat Handle Tech that I restored.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
miohin

Post by miohin »

I was gifted a Henson AL13 Mild/Regular/+ (take your pick) and shaved with it for the first time today. Wow, what a difference.

I have been using a cheap "mild" safety razor with brush and Taylor of Old Bond Street but still had a decent bit of irritation. Using the Henson with just canned shaving cream (traveling) I had much less irritation.

Looking forward to further shaving/learning with the Henson. It is definitely a very different experience than the other more "standard" style safety razor.
Lurker
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Someone gave you a wonderful gift, to be sure. I like Henson above all other modern safety razors. The space tech is amazing.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Today, I got out my Edwin Jagger DE89. I popped in a Feather blade and got a wonderful shave, near BBS except for one small spot. I've not used it in nearly a year, I think, and I am again reminded of just how good the design is.

Now, if they would make this from brass or bronze instead of Zamax (which won't last), then it could be a top contender for the five best safety razors in the world.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

This is the thread about double edged safety razors. After returning to shaving with a DE safety razor I wondered how we all got suckered into using those multi-blade monstrosities. Those things give a terrible shave, cause shaving bumps, ingrown hairs, irritation, and etc. Plus, they cost a lot for the cartridges and for the disposable kinds, too. A DE safety razor costs pennies per blade once you have a good razor.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JoshLikesSekiCityKnives

Post by JoshLikesSekiCityKnives »

Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:41 am
This is the thread about double edged safety razors. After returning to shaving with a DE safety razor I wondered how we all got suckered into using those multi-blade monstrosities. Those things give a terrible shave, cause shaving bumps, ingrown hairs, irritation, and etc. Plus, they cost a lot for the cartridges and for the disposable kinds, too. A DE safety razor costs pennies per blade once you have a good razor.
I will agree that disposable razors cost way too much and that they suck because they get hair in them that is hard to remove and it often messes up my shave. I have a cheap $15 Target safety razor in my pack. Reason being I got hurt lol. Really hurt. My own fault.
sidpost

Post by sidpost »

RLR wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:07 pm
Merkur. Period. Good quality, good price, and enough choice to suit your style. Long handle, short handle, closed comb, open comb, etc... check them out.
Pretty bold statement. My experience with Merkur wasn't good. Edwin Jagger and Muhle have be very good to me. Razorock is another brand well regarded.

Everyone's face and whiskers are different so, the razor, blade, and soap used for one person may not work well for the next.
sidpost

Post by sidpost »

On the shave forums, the Henson and Razorock get raves from a broad cross-section of users for something in the $40~$70 range.

My Muhle R41 is awesome with a 4-day 'forest' on my face! It is super aggressive for a daily shave for myself but, with a light touch does a great job.

I'm getting ready to give a Muhle Rocca test drive which is reported to be between a Muhle R89/Edwin Jagger 89 and the Muhle R41!
JoshLikesSekiCityKnives

I have a Van Der Hagen $18 safety razor in my bug out bag. Not used it since I cut the living **** out of my jaw.
I decided to start using.it.again since cartridges and One blade heads have went up to insane prices.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Sometimes you get what you pay for. There are good razors out there that are inexpensive and there is a lot of just plain junk.

I personally favor Henson (in all aggressions), Edwin Jagger DE89 (great shaver, not years long durable, though), and the old Gillette Tech. I have others, but these are my clear favorites. A person can find a good Gillette Tech for $20-$35 that would be in good enough shape. There are some refurbished ones going for a bit more. I got a 1946-1949 Gold Fat Handle Tech for $35 with shipping. I had to have it replated, but that was only $18.

My wife got me a DE89 and it is a great shaver, as well.

My hands down favorite is the Henson. To me, it doesn't matter much if it is the + (mild/standard), ++ (medium), or the +++ (aggressive). The mild is good enough for most people, but I find I have more shadow later. There is never any irritation, bumps, cuts, nothing. The medium is about right for me. The aggressive is good for those with heavier beards. I use one, but I do have to be more careful or I can get mild irritation from it.

With all of these razors a person must remember not to press, rather let the razor do the work.

Somebody mentioned Razorock. I do have a Game Changer with both heads (.68P and .84P). It is a good razor, but it is not as good for me personally as those above.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
sidpost

Post by sidpost »

JoshLikesSekiCityKnives wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:12 pm
I have a Van Der Hagen $18 safety razor in my bug out bag. Not used it since I cut the living **** out of my jaw.
I decided to start using.it.again since cartridges and One blade heads have went up to insane prices.
Try a different razor if that one continues to cause you problems.

The Edwin Jagger 89 and Muhle R89 are really good razors that are pretty mild. The last EJ89 I saw on Amazon was only $25 so, not that expensive either. Or, you can get a Muhle R89 head to use with your Van Der Hagen handle for $25. With modern razor heads running $5~$8 where I live, that is almost the price of 100 good DE blades.

I use a lot of Personna DE blades which seem to be a good middle of the road DE blade option. There are other DE blades that are sharper and will last a little longer but, they can cause weepers and razor bumps if you aren't careful according to many people.
sidpost

Post by sidpost »

https://www.edwinjagger.co.uk/en_us/edw ... azor.html]

Just shaved for the first time with this one with a Personna blade. Super easy to use and seemed relatively mild but, I got a DFS under less than ideal circumstances with super cold water and shave cream thanks to the bad weather in Texas right now.
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

I know it sounds goofy but If you have a way of stropping a de blade on clean leather, it makes all the difference in how smooth a new blade is (no cuts/weepers/etc), and how many shaves they’ll last.
sidpost

Post by sidpost »

jpm2 wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:27 pm
I know it sounds goofy but If you have a way of stropping a de blade on clean leather, it makes all the difference in how smooth a new blade is (no cuts/weepers/etc), and how many shaves they’ll last.
After 2 or 3 shaves, it will also realign the edge and let the blade live on for another 2 or 3 shaves. However, for a penny a blade, it really isn't worth the effort for most people.
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

sidpost wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:39 pm
jpm2 wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:27 pm
After 2 or 3 shaves, it will also realign the edge and let the blade live on for another 2 or 3 shaves. However, for a penny a blade, it really isn't worth the effort for most people.
Probably depends on the beard, for me it was more like 8-10 shaves, but the main reason was to avoid those first 1-2 harsh & tedious shaves on a new blade.
I used a very small needle nose vice grip that held the razor for stropping, much like doing a straight.
I've also had success sharpening one a few times. That was for sure not worth it.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I’ve read that running the edges over a cork has the same effect on a new blade. I wonder…?
JoshLikesSekiCityKnives

I used my Van Red Hagen today. I did good until I tried to hit my neck. Got the burn like crazy. I blame my technique and cheap Barnwell shave cream. I tried r to shave against the grain like so could do with my cartridge razors. To get a closer shave.Gonna stick with it and figure it out. That was my fault 100%.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:26 pm
I used my Van Red Hagen today. I did good until I tried to hit my neck. Got the burn like crazy. I blame my technique and cheap Barnwell shave cream. I tried r to shave against the grain like so could do with my cartridge razors. To get a closer shave.Gonna stick with it and figure it out. That was my fault 100%.
Buy a good razor. It will change your life.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
sidpost

Post by sidpost »

Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:26 pm
Better shave cream will help but, I would suggest you try a better razor. Something like an Edwin Jagger 89 would be a good place to start but, there are a lot of other good options too at modest price points. Van der Hagen has great advertising and big box store market penetration but, they aren't very impressive and turn a lot of people off wet shaving.