Anyone use a safety razor?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Snacktime

Re: Anyone use a safety razor?

Post by Snacktime »

Taylor of Old shaving cream was my biggest game changer. Also wish I had spent more on my badger brush, but I will buck some more cash when I re order supplies. My low cost Merkur Razor has been awesome so far.

I have pretty much gone to full time Safety Razor vs my blade one electric shaver. Been super happy with the transition. Definitely less razor burn and cuts! After the initial learning curve.
My socks carry tip up MNOSD Member 0021
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:28 am
I have two Merkurs and use Feather blades - best shaving solution by a mile for me.

^this^
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I had no idea shaving with a safety razor was a thing. I thought I was going to be the lone weirdo who wanted to go backwards in time to my young manhood and youth. Boy! Was I wrong! I've been looking around and there is a whole industry around this and apparently it is growing by leaps and bounds!

Now, someone needs to make and exact copy of the Gillette Fatboy, but in stainless steel. That would be the best ever razor.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:06 pm
I had no idea shaving with a safety razor was a thing. I thought I was going to be the lone weirdo who wanted to go backwards in time to my young manhood and youth. Boy! Was I wrong! I've been looking around and there is a whole industry around this and apparently it is growing by leaps and bounds!

Now, someone needs to make and exact copy of the Gillette Fatboy, but in stainless steel. That would be the best ever razor.
Doc, if you haven't yet, definitely check out the Badger & Blade Forum.

I'm not shaving geek enough to hang out there regularly, but there is a wealth of knowledge and experience hanging around that forum.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Thanks! Yeah, I found them a few days ago. Hard not to miss them as that forum is all over the net.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I am really happy with this Edwin Jagger DE89. Two passes with a Feather blade and I can get far closer than with a multi-blade disposable. If I make three passes my face is as smooth and clean as a new born baby butt.

I found an interesting brand of aftershave balm. It comes in a can so it is like a very thick paste. A little dab, very little, is all it takes. Barrister and Mann is the name. I got two scents. I put one on one arm and one on the other arm just to check it out. I went swimming for half an hour and even rubbed my arms in the water. I could still smell both. So, I went home and took a shower. I could still smell them. These last. https://www.barristerandmann.com

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Well, today I was talking to the guy at the B&M shave shop. I told him I loved my razor and wanted an adjustable that shaved like it did, but perhaps more efficiently. I was considering the Rockwell 6S stainless or the T2. Instead, he said the Razorock Game Changer was the better razor and would make me happy. For weeks I had been researching and most people agreed. But which to get? It is not adjustable. Do I get the .68 or the .84 model? Well, he sold me the razor with both heads at no extra charge, so I have a better razor that is adjustable coming my way.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Well, I got my Razorock Game Changer. That is the shorter razor above. The other razor is the Edwin Jagger DE89 that I fell in love with. The Game Changer is made from machined 316 Stainless Steel (The EJ is chromed brass and Zamax like most razors).

I used a Feather blade. These blades are so sharp they can split atoms. I shaved with the Game Changer and it is a bit more efficient than the DE89. I got a slightly raw spot on my adam's apple. However, it gave me a really good shave. Two passes was all it took to get a shave smoother than any disposable multi-blade razor. It is a highly rated razor and I can see why. The fit and finish are perfect. No flaws, no ill fitting parts, and everything was smooth and nice. Normally, American, Japanese, and Canadian made stainless razors cost $200 or more. This is called the Game Changer because it is only fifty something dollars and worth every cent.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:28 pm
Two passes was all it took to get a shave smoother than any disposable multi-blade razor.
See? Toljaso! The only downside is that now you can never go back to the disposable cheese graters. I like your stainless razor. The construction is the same as my Japanese one that costs several times more.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

RustyIron wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:10 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:28 pm
Two passes was all it took to get a shave smoother than any disposable multi-blade razor.
See? Toljaso! The only downside is that now you can never go back to the disposable cheese graters. I like your stainless razor. The construction is the same as my Japanese one that costs several times more.
Which one do you have? A Feather? Or something else?

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Mine is the 3-piece Feather. It's the shizz. Before that, I had an entry-level handle, and I would sometimes get nicks and abrasions when using the sharpest of blades. I thought it was just sloppy technique. Eventually the non-stainless parts began to deteriorate, and I stepped up to the Feather. Leaking red stuff has become a thing of the past (for the most part).
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Snacktime wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:49 pm
Taylor of Old shaving cream was my biggest game changer. Also wish I had spent more on my badger brush, but I will buck some more cash when I re order supplies. My low cost Merkur Razor has been awesome so far.

I have pretty much gone to full time Safety Razor vs my blade one electric shaver. Been super happy with the transition. Definitely less razor burn and cuts! After the initial learning curve.
Nothing wrong with a Merkur razor. They've been around since the 1800's doing it right.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

RustyIron wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:15 pm
Mine is the 3-piece Feather. It's the shizz. Before that, I had an entry-level handle, and I would sometimes get nicks and abrasions when using the sharpest of blades. I thought it was just sloppy technique. Eventually the non-stainless parts began to deteriorate, and I stepped up to the Feather. Leaking red stuff has become a thing of the past (for the most part).
Do you have the Feather AD-D2? If so, I'm jealous.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Larry_Mott wrote:
I have two Merkurs and use Feather blades - best shaving solution by a mile for me.
Great shavers, no doubt. I use Feather blades mostly. Some others like to drag as they aren't sharp enough. Feather blades are sharp enough to split atoms, I think.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 8:30 am

Do you have the Feather AD-D2? If so, I'm jealous.
I had to look it up in my Amazon history.
AS-D2.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I'm definitely jealous. That is a fine razor. Shabazz loves his. Everybody loves them. I just don't love the price.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 8:32 am
Larry_Mott wrote:
Great shavers, no doubt. I use Feather blades mostly. Some others like to drag as they aren't sharp enough. Feather blades are sharp enough to split atoms, I think.
I got a couple of blades with the Merkur but going back to them is like shaving with a broken bottle after the Feather blades :D
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

Well, after getting a handle on using the Parker Variant razor and a couple of notoriously great blades, (Merkur, Feather,) I decided to give the Rockwell Razors blades I mentioned in an earlier post another try. Big mistake! It feels like the broken bottle effect Larry mentioned above.

Years ago when I was in the Navy there was a sea story that circulated around that when the ships were decommissioned they were sold off and the steel was smelted down and turned into razor blades. I was thinking maybe the steel Rockwell uses was recycled from some surplus aircraft carrier where they forgot to remove the non-skid from the flight deck before making the blades. :confounded
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I have not tried a better blade than Feather. Very sharp. I have, however, heard good things about the Gillette Nacet blades. Feather is my go-to and they are so sharp they glide.

I just bought my wife a Henson AL-13 razor. I have heard great things about these. I got her the standard which is very mild feeling. Supposedly, they feel mild but shave really, really well. Ain't technology wonderful? https://hensonshaving.com/
These folks make parts for the space industry. They turned their expertise towards making razors. I might get a medium for myself.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050