Anyone use a safety razor?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Anyone use a safety razor?

Post by Doc Dan »

I don't have a razor that will do that once clamped down. I've seen some cheap razors that do have a lot of blade play because the tolerances are not good. That is never a good thing to have a blade that will move like that. It kinda takes the "safe" out of a safety razor.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

One thing you might try, rather than moving the blade, is to take a spare blade and cut it to make a shim. That will make the razor more aggressive and make the blade clamp down tighter, I believe. I've never done it, myself.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 7:19 am

If this is a DE razor, by pushing the blade towards one edge you’re shortening it on the other. Unless I’m very much misunderstanding what you’re doing.

Yes, you’re absolutely right.

I’ll use one edge of the blade first for the right side of my face, then the other edge for the left side. So, when I switch to the other side of my face I’ll stop and slide the blade to the side I’m going to use next, so it’s now the side that sticks out a bit more. Regardless of which edge I’m using, I’m pushing the blade out for more exposure.

I guess I could pull the blade back from which ever side I’m using if that works for my skin/beard combination, too.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I never can keep track of which side I’m using 😂
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:45 am

When I got hooked on DE razor shaving a few months ago I’d try to “use up” one edge first, then switch to the other side and use it. It wasn’t hard to keep track of the edges and number of shaves if you could you could use a logo or label as a reference.

Then, it dawned on me, it would be easier if I just used one edge for the right side of my face and the other edge for the left side each morning I shave, and count the number of days I used the blade.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

So complicated! I use one side on one side of my face, rinse, use the other side of the blade for the other side of my face. Easy. I only have to keep track of how many days I've shaved with the blade.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 8:25 am
One thing you might try, rather than moving the blade, is to take a spare blade and cut it to make a shim. That will make the razor more aggressive and make the blade clamp down tighter, I believe. I've never done it, myself.

Yes, I’ve been reading about that on the B&B forums. I’ve already taken all of the edges off of a blade using a brown ceramic bench stone. It would be a very slow process to keep using the bench stone to take enough off that the shim is only wide enough to reach the clamping point between the razor/blade. I want to take enough material off the shim that there’s no way it’ll reach out and act like a (dull) twin blade.

So far I’ve found the clamping point on each razor/blade is in a different spot for each model. (Tech’s, Super Speed’s, etc.) So, I’d need to make a custom shim for each model. So, I’ll need a better way to trim down the shims faster. I miss the days when I had access to a machine shop where I worked.

Or, I can just toss a good sharp blade in the modern King C., or Parker Variant razors and swipe-away with reckless abandon. :winking-tongue
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Pokey wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 8:08 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 8:25 am

Yes, I’ve been reading about that on the B&B forums. I’ve already taken all of the edges off of a blade using a brown ceramic bench stone. It would be a very slow process to keep using the bench stone to take enough off that the shim is only wide enough to reach the clamping point between the razor/blade. I want to take enough material off the shim that there’s no way it’ll reach out and act like a (dull) twin blade.

So far I’ve found the clamping point on each razor/blade is in a different spot for each model. (Tech’s, Super Speed’s, etc.) So, I’d need to make a custom shim for each model. So, I’ll need a better way to trim down the shims faster. I miss the days when I had access to a machine shop where I worked.

Or, I can just toss a good sharp blade in the modern King C., or Parker Variant razors and swipe-away with reckless abandon. :winking-tongue
Apparently, everyone just cuts the razor blade with a pair of scissors. I have a video somewhere that someone sent me. I'll see if I can find it.

Here it is: https://youtu.be/sp_kBWMPNmY&t=15s

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Thought this interesting…

https://youtu.be/eeI7q_eIs7g
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

Out making the rounds today and hitting some antique stores. I stopped by the big one west of Denver, The Brass Armadillo.

I was looking in one of the glass cases when I saw not one, but two Gillette Super Adjustable razors, the 84 and the 109. Gillette named the two models for the length of their handles, 84mm and 109mm. They were being sold as a pair, and 20% off! Long story-short, I couldn’t resist.

Now, the hard decision, which one should I use tomorrow morning?
Attachments
417F879F-07B2-41C2-A3A2-33FCB789C394.jpeg
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Sweet! those are pretty nice. It will be fun trying different blades in them to see which gives what kind of shaves and at what settings. I only have two Gillettes. My adjustable is a "J" Slim. Bond. James Bond.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

Oops, I did it again.

I found a guy that bought a box of old razors and blades from a vendor at the local mega-antique store. (The same guy I bought the Super Adjustables from above.) He said he’s trying to down-size. He really wanted to sell me the whole box. I told him I was interested in Gillette razors, not for their collectability, but for shaving.

I looked through the box and picked out a few. ;)

Left to right, top to bottom: A late ‘30’s-mid ‘40’s Tech, a late ‘40’s-early’50’s Executive, 3 ‘59 Fatboys, and 5, I, K, and L dated Slims. (no Bond models)

I cleaned up a couple of them and tried one of the Fat Boys this morning. I'm impressed with it for using it for the first time.

I’m not collector, am I? :smiling-cheeks
Attachments
707FA546-DB0E-4949-9386-DBA879F03513.jpeg
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Whoah! You've got a museum all by yourself! Hahahaha!

Nice finds. I started with a Slim and a Fatboy in the late 60's. I remember the nicks and burns well. I always got good close shaves, though.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Ric

Post by Ric »

@pokey:
Nice collection.
Are there noticeable difference in shaving?

@doc dan: I pulled the trigger yesterday. By accident, I saw titanium medium are in stock :D
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

You will love it! Trust me.

This is one time I have zero buyer's remorse.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Ric wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:48 am
@pokey:
Nice collection.
Are there noticeable difference in shaving?

@doc dan: I pulled the trigger yesterday. By accident, I saw titanium medium are in stock :D
When will it arrive?

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Ric

Post by Ric »

I ordered last Wednesday.
It's not shipped yet.
Hope end of May it is here, let's see.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

The last four days I ran an experiment, one I've done before. Starting with two days growth of beard I shaved with a mild Henson. Then, two days later I shaved with the medium Ti22 Henson. I did everything exactly the same, as must as possible. I showered in warm, but not hot water. I put La Toja shave cream in my bowl and used the same brush. I put a new Feather blade in the razors. I wet my face and then applied the cream the same way both times. After the shaves I put Thayer's Witch Hazel with menthol, which I added. I used no balm or other aftershave. Instead, I put some Rosken skin cream on my face afterwards, knowing that whiskers will retreat a bit after a shave and so some rougher areas will become smooth. The first shave was with the AL13. I got a great shave. I did two passes. I had a bit of touch up to do. It was very smooth and easy. After two more days of growth, I used the medium titanium. It was a good, smooth shave. It was a bit more efficient and the slight extra weight made shaving a breeze. I made two passes, shaving in the same pattern as before. I had very little touch up, afterwards, only on places I had missed or not gotten the angle right. Both razors gave a near BBS shave without making three passes. This is far better than most other razors that I have shaved with. I had no irritation with either and no weepers, though I do occasionally get a weeper with the medium, but not this time. Personally, I like shaving with both. The medium Ti would be the one I'd keep if I could only have one, but both are very enjoyable. I like the way I can flip around and get a bit crazy with the mild, in ways I would never do with other razors. I like the smooth efficiency of the medium. They both get me there, no problem. The medium gets me there a slight bit faster and shaves closer. I notice that after both shaves, my face feels the same. However, I notice my 5:00 shadow is more with the mild than the medium. In fact, it is night as I type this and I shaved this morning with the medium and I still don't really need a shave.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Ric

Post by Ric »

Thanks for sharing.

The mild was made to shave other areas as the face. Therefore smoother but less efficient.
I also love on Henson that they are forgiving.
I prefer my medium one not fully tightened.

I was not fully concentrated with my R41 and got a big cut instantly.
Therefore I switched to more mild razors.

It's nice to enjoy a good shave and celebrate it.
Osok-308

Post by Osok-308 »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:45 am
This is my problem too. So I typically take a few strikes with one side and flip once that side is covered in shaving cream. It's he only way I can make sure I use both sides relatively equally.