Anyone use a safety razor?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Anyone use a safety razor?

Post by Doc Dan »

Maybe razor blade makers should make one side of the blade one color and the other half a different color so that people who have difficulty with remembering which side to use can tell the difference.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:43 pm
Maybe razor blade makers should make one side of the blade one color and the other half a different color so that people who have difficulty with remembering which side to use can tell the difference.
Blades with logos or numbers on them sure make it easier to tell. What about marking the dull end of the blade with a black or red Sharpie marker?
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Pokey wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:29 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:43 pm
Blades with logos or numbers on them sure make it easier to tell. What about marking the dull end of the blade with a black or red Sharpie marker?
I have an image of people with red and black marks on their faces. :grin-squint How could it be seen when shaving? I guess it could work. I really wouldn't need to do it. I simply shave with one side of the razor on one side of my face, then flip it around and shave the other side of my face with the other side of the razor. Pretty easy.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Ric

Post by Ric »

Better to mark the razor itself not the blade.

How are the chances that you use mainly one side?
If one side is full of lather I use the other. Then rinse.
Don’t overthink too much.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Yesterday, I got out my Henson mild (black) that had a Feather blade with one use. I attacked a three day growth of beard with it. I got a very fine shave in two passes, near BBS. Of course, I had to do touch ups. Still, that was quite an accomplishment. I didn't even have to worry about how I was shaving like I do with other razors. No cuts, no weepers, no irritation.

That Henson has a blade gap of .68, which is the same as many other razors. Yet, the Henson is a better shaver. It is more efficient and smoother. It can't be magic, can it? The blade is clamped and bent. It does not flex or move. I guess that is the reason. Or, maybe it is magic.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Ric

Post by Ric »

Yes, the blade is more sturdy, less flex.
Used my R89 grande today. Also very smooth.

My main issue on the AL13 is the lock stick. When screwed tight it’s very hard to unscrew.
The thread (hole) looks dirty. Tried to clean. And unscrew after using.
That should help. I will keep an eye on it.

Ti22 are back in stock. No sign that they start shipping.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

The AL13 can stick because the tolerances are so exact. There is no play, no give, nothing. It does get better as it wears in from changing blades, it seems to me. I use a towel on the head and handle to help grip it and then it is easy.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Ric

Post by Ric »

I use a wash cloth. When I use it it is fine.
After use 1 day later it's "locked".
Maybe due to temperature difference?
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Maybe so. Mine kind of sticks a little, but isn't "locked."

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

There is something about a good shave that just starts the day off right. I feel so much cleaner and more awake when I have a good shave in the morning. Today, I was feeling a bit irritated when I awoke, so after a cup of coffee, I had a shower and then got out my electric blue Henson medium AL13 and put a fresh Nacet blade in it. I got a great, smooth, clean shave. I put some Thayer's witch hazel with Aloe, in which I have put menthol, on my face and head. I felt great! I still do, in fact.

I've had beards and I still have a mustache/goatee thing going on. With beards I never really feel clean. I also like to have my neck shaved, as well. I don't feel I've had a hair cut unless my neck is shaved with a razor and soap. Yep, shaving just makes all the difference.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Ric

Post by Ric »

Ti22 is one the way to me.
They took a bit more time to ship due to the big C.

A nice shave feels good. As a sharpened knife. Something you achieved yourself. Used things in a perfect way to achieved fine results.

I also have a goatee. Which can also be trimmed nice to be in good shape.
I do not feel dirty with it.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I shaved off my fu-man-chu yesterday. After a hot sweaty day and also needing a haircut, I cut my hair and clippered the stach. Took more than 2 passes with a mild Henson and a fresh Astra blade, but I’m smooth again. Whew. My kids keep telling me I look weird without it.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 5:28 pm
I shaved off my fu-man-chu yesterday. After a hot sweaty day and also needing a haircut, I cut my hair and clippered the stach. Took more than 2 passes with a mild Henson and a fresh Astra blade, but I’m smooth again. Whew. My kids keep telling me I look weird without it.
Are you sure they mean "without it"? :grin-squint

I still have my mustache and goatee, but everywhere else I am clean shaven. I even shave the back of my neck. It feels good, especially when I get some mentholated Thayer's on it. Then, when I put the Barrister's Reserve Cool Aftershave Balm on my face and neck, I really feels fresh and clean.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Ric wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 9:59 am
Ti22 is one the way to me.
They took a bit more time to ship due to the big C.

A nice shave feels good. As a sharpened knife. Something you achieved yourself. Used things in a perfect way to achieved fine results.

I also have a goatee. Which can also be trimmed nice to be in good shape.
I do not feel dirty with it.
That's great! You are going to love it. It is not too heavy and not too light. I get a great shave everytime with mine.

Did you get the medium or the standard mild?

They are now coming with RK blades supposedly made just for the Henson AL13. Let us know how you like them. Some are not liking them and some are, but that is only to be expected due to differences in faces.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 7:59 pm
Woodpuppy wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 5:28 pm
Are you sure they mean "without it"? :grin-squint
Well, they like the fumanchu better than the Ted Lasso stach I grew for Halloween. They said I looked to much like a cop, but that was probably enhanced with the aviator shades! When it gets hot I tend to shed the facial hair.
Ric

Post by Ric »

I ordered the TI 22 medium.
Thought about aggressive but played save and went with medium.

Did not add the big blades pack. The new ones seems not having the best reviews.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

You will love that medium Ti! I doubt you'd be as happy with the aggressive unless your name is Magilla Gorilla. I have a pretty good beard and the medium does just fine.

Congratulations on the purchase! You made a good choice, in my opinion.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I’m interested to hear how you like it. My mild with Feather blades is a most satisfying combo, but I can’t help but be intrigued by the Ti22 medium!

What are your favorite creams / soaps?
Ric

Post by Ric »

I use mainly proraso sensitive soap. Muehle and proraso shaving cream and Kiehls brushless shaving cream.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I didn't know Proraso made a sensitive soap. I'll look into that. I use La Toja sensitive most of the time.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050