Anyone use a safety razor?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
RustyIron

Re: Anyone use a safety razor?

Post by RustyIron »

sidpost wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:16 pm
I would suggest you try a better razor.

Van der Hagen has great advertising and big box store market penetration but, they aren't very impressive

You're spot on. My first foray into real shaving was with Van der Hagen. They weren't too expensive and they sounded Dutch. Dutch people should know how to make blades and stuff, right?

The learning curve involved a lot of red leakage, but I picked it up fast enough. Cuts became less frequent, but were an ever-present danger. Eventually the Van der Hagen stuff started to fall apart. First was the cat hair brush. I replaced it with silver tipped badger, which was better. I'm still using that brush. The next to go was the stand. It started leaving rust marks on the countertop. I saved the chrome "H" thing, and then fab'ed the rest out of brass and ironwood. Last to go was the razor handle itself. It started rusting internally and became hard to use. I replaced it with a Feather AS-D2 handle.

Lo and behold, my shaving experience improved tenfold. My shaves were immediately closer. Cuts and abrasions were almost non-existent. It's hard to tell someone who is considering adopting real shaving that they need to throw out a couple Benjamins on equipment. But to be honest, that's what's needed to guarantee a good experience.
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Has anyone used one of these?

https://youtu.be/AIPIm77CXl8&t=1s
JoshLikesSekiCityKnives

Post by JoshLikesSekiCityKnives »

sidpost wrote:
JoshLikesSekiCityKnives wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:26 pm
I used my Van Red Hagen today. I did good until I tried to hit my neck. Got the burn like crazy. I blame my technique and cheap Barnwell shave cream. I tried r to shave against the grain like so could do with my cartridge razors. To get a closer shave.Gonna stick with it and figure it out. That was my fault 100%.
Better shave cream will help but, I would suggest you try a better razor. Something like an Edwin Jagger 89 would be a good place to start but, there are a lot of other good options too at modest price points. Van der Hagen has great advertising and big box store market penetration but, they aren't very impressive and turn a lot of people off wet shaving.
I just found a King Gillette on sale for $12.71 on Amazon with 35% subscribe and save discount plus a $5.00 discount from an Amazon promo code.
I still blame my technique for 80% of my mishaps as I was pressing down too hard. No worries about me quitting wet shaving. I will learn because cartridges are getting entirely too expensive for me. I just ordered a 50 pack of Gillette Silver blades for $8.00. I'm here to stay. Razor burn won't break me.
JoshLikesSekiCityKnives

RustyIron wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:38 pm
sidpost wrote:
I would suggest you try a better razor.

Van der Hagen has great advertising and big box store market penetration but, they aren't very impressive

You're spot on. My first foray into real shaving was with Van der Hagen. They weren't too expensive and they sounded Dutch. Dutch people should know how to make blades and stuff, right?

The learning curve involved a lot of red leakage, but I picked it up fast enough. Cuts became less frequent, but were an ever-present danger. Eventually the Van der Hagen stuff started to fall apart. First was the cat hair brush. I replaced it with silver tipped badger, which was better. I'm still using that brush. The next to go was the stand. It started leaving rust marks on the countertop. I saved the chrome "H" thing, and then fab'ed the rest out of brass and ironwood. Last to go was the razor handle itself. It started rusting internally and became hard to use. I replaced it with a Feather AS-D2 handle.

Lo and behold, my shaving experience improved tenfold. My shaves were immediately closer. Cuts and abrasions were almost non-existent. It's hard to tell someone who is considering adopting real shaving that they need to throw out a couple Benjamins on equipment. But to be honest, that's what's needed to guarantee a good experience.
[/quote

I will agree that Van Red Hagen is pretty mediocre. Hoping a King Gillette on order and a 50 pack of Silver blades will change my experience somewhat.
But I may have to eventually buy a $100 or $200 safety razor. I hope not. I really don't have the funds to buy hundreds in shaving stuff.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The King Gillette should be okay. If you would buy a really good razor one time that will be sufficient. Razors you can't go wwrong with are Henson, Edwin Jagger DE89 (just this model), old Gillette Tech razors. There are a number of others that would work but I am absolutely confident one of the two I mentioned will make you happy. The Henson is the best one. Get the color that you like. https://hensonshaving.com/

Maggard still has some of the older version 1 in red. https://maggardrazors.com/search?type=a ... t&q=Henson

I have bought from both places.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
sidpost

Post by sidpost »

RustyIron wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:38 pm
... It's hard to tell someone who is considering adopting real shaving that they need to throw out a couple Benjamins on equipment. But to be honest, that's what's needed to guarantee a good experience.
I tend to disagree on the Benjamins! While $200 will buy some nice gear, it also isn't a requirement!

An Edwin Jagger 89 razor on Amazon is only ~$25 for me and my searches. Do I enjoy my Edwin Jagger 3one6 at 4 times the cost, sure but it also isn't required. 100 packs of popular Double Edge blades are ~$10 for many different styles and varieties, in my case Nacets and Personna mainly but, others are even cheaper and still pretty good.

That leaves shaving creams and soaps. $35 bought me a really good Badger hair brush. Not the nicest, whatever that is, out there but also is not some artificial plastic handled option from China. Shave bowl can be anything from a cheap $1 option from Dollar Tree, Family Dollar, etc. to a ~$25 Scuttle from various sources.

For me, this is still less than a common quality electric shaver and you can do the math with your favorite multi-blade heads for whatever name-brand option you use from Walmart, CVS, Walgreens, etc.

With something like the Edwin Jagger 89 razor, the risk of cuts and razor burn is really low.
sidpost

Post by sidpost »

Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:46 am
I will agree that Van Red Hagen is pretty mediocre. Hoping a King Gillette on order and a 50 pack of Silver blades will change my experience somewhat.
But I may have to eventually buy a $100 or $200 safety razor. I hope not. I really don't have the funds to buy hundreds in shaving stuff.
Absolutely not required! The Edwin Jagger 89 isn't the Kmart 'blue light special' at Amazon but, it is a better razor IMHO. Better meaning not nearly as heavy and a much smoother shave. For $25 it is also not that expensive.

Blades are different because users skin and whiskers are different so, the DE blade that is best for me, may not be best for you. Blade sampler packs are good for 'testing' different blades to find the one most comfortable that shaves the closest. Generally, coated blades in the medium sharpness range are a good match for most "wet shavers".

Shaving after you shower is also a good idea when you are learning to 'wet shave'. The steam and hot water soften your whiskers making them easier to cut.

Finally, try some better canned products like Nivea and Aveeno shave creams. I find they work better than things like Edge gel and the more common cheaper shave creams. They "cushion" better and are much easier on my skin with fewer harsh foam components and some nice moisturizing components. Nivea "cooling" menthol shave cream is a nice one for me, especially in the Summer months!

Lastly, a little face-specific lotion is also a good idea to have on hand if you feel a little burn or your facial skin is drying out from Alcohol-based aftershaves! Buy the better brands here like Eucerin, Nivea, Aveeno, and others, not the cheaper 'dime store' names. There really is a difference between the cheap dime store lotions and the more expensive premium ($6~$10) options at Walmart and similar places.
JoshLikesSekiCityKnives

sidpost wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:49 am
Absolutely not required! The Edwin Jagger 89 isn't the Kmart 'blue light special' at Amazon but, it is a better razor IMHO. Better meaning not nearly as heavy and a much smoother shave. For $25 it is also not that expensive.

Blades are different because users skin and whiskers are different so, the DE blade that is best for me, may not be best for you. Blade sampler packs are good for 'testing' different blades to find the one most comfortable that shaves the closest. Generally, coated blades in the medium sharpness range are a good match for most "wet shavers".

Shaving after you shower is also a good idea when you are learning to 'wet shave'. The steam and hot water soften your whiskers making them easier to cut.

Finally, try some better canned products like Nivea and Aveeno shave creams. I find they work better than things like Edge gel and the more common cheaper shave creams. They "cushion" better and are much easier on my skin with fewer harsh foam components and some nice moisturizing components. Nivea "cooling" menthol shave cream is a nice one for me, especially in the Summer months!

Lastly, a little face-specific lotion is also a good idea to have on hand if you feel a little burn or your facial skin is drying out from Alcohol-based aftershaves! Buy the better brands here like Eucerin, Nivea, Aveeno, and others, not the cheaper 'dime store' names. There really is a difference between the cheap dime store lotions and the more expensive premium ($6~$10) options at Walmart and similar places.
I sure appreciate your advice and insight. I do use Deep Sea Cosmetics mens after shave balm. Very pricey but lasts for 5 or 6 months as it is very concentrated.
The after shave I use is cheap alcohol based Aqua Velva prior to lotion. It's been my favorite since my teens.
I am hoping the King Gillette will be a better razor for me than my Van Der Hagen. The blades with Van Red Hagen may be the culprit and not so much the razor. Which is why I bought a 50 pack of Gillette Silvers. If all else fails I will try some Feathers or Platinum out.
As far as shaving cream is concerned. I suspect the Barbasol is not very good for wet shaving. I even tried watering it down to slick it up.
I may try some secret Shave out which I liked at one point. Or add some pure Glycerol to my Barbasol to see if that helps with lubrication.
If that don't work. I will try a different cream or shaving soap. I am just trying to finish off my Barbasol as I don't like to waste product.
I will get it figured out. And I still blame my technique of shaving heavy handed for 80% of my issues. Today I am going to concentrate on using a light hand and taking my time.
JoshLikesSekiCityKnives

sidpost wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:49 am

Also, I will not spend tons of $$$ on wet shaving stuff. As I took up wet shaving to save money from cartridge shaving. Not to spend 3x as much.
I get some collect and buy high end and that's cool. But for me it is strictly to save money over cartridges and to have money for my savings account or other needs I deem more important than shaving.
sidpost

Post by sidpost »

Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:50 pm
If that don't work. I will try a different cream or shaving soap. I am just trying to finish off my Barbasol as I don't like to waste product.
I will get it figured out. And I still blame my technique of shaving heavy handed for 80% of my issues. Today I am going to concentrate on using a light hand and taking my time.
I get not wanting to waste anything and keeping a modest budget for cost savings. That being said, personally, I find Barbasol to be a poor choice unless you are using one of those fancy heads with a lubrication strip on them.

At $25 on Amazon without prime and other discounts, the Edwin Jagger 89 is still pretty cheap to me compared to a multi-pack of heads for popular modern razors. Your two existing razors probably cost more than the EJ89 I'm referencing.

When that can of Barbisol with added glycerin or whatever it takes to get to work well is used up, try a can of Nivea which would be in the $4~$5 range in a big box retailer like Walmart. I just did back-to-back test shaves with a new razor with Edge Gel and Nivea Shaving Cream. Nivea was significantly better for me. The cushion was better, comfort was better, and it simply worked better.
sidpost

Post by sidpost »

Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:55 pm

Also, I will not spend tons of $$$ on wet shaving stuff. As I took up wet shaving to save money from cartridge shaving. Not to spend 3x as much.
I get some collect and buy high end and that's cool. But for me it is strictly to save money over cartridges and to have money for my savings account or other needs I deem more important than shaving.
ABSOLUTELY!

The shave heads I used were $40 a pack so, two of them were $80. My EJ89 was $25 and the 100-pack of DE blades was $9 at the time. Shave cream for me is the same cost because I basically use the same products now I did back them most of the time.

Over time, I added a $20 Scuttle and a $30 Badger hair shave brush because I really enjoyed the process more that way. $50 is a pretty big price but, it is also about 4 Starbuck coffees or a normal dinner out for two people without alcoholic beverages. A Saturday night out with friends at clubs never was less than $50 for me personally. Years later, I still have my $50 scuttle and shave brush and the dinners or clubbing may be remembered but honestly, aren't near as memorable as my near daily use with these two items.

These days, I find shaving with nice gear an affordable bit of luxury. My used stainless razors were $60, which is a lot of money to most people but, again compared to the $50 discussion is not that far off that target. I now have the knowledge to make a better razor choice for what I want out of a razor and, I must say shaving with these razors to me is more enjoyable than a Starbucks $7~$9 coffee or an over-priced beer at a restaurant bar or some nightclub somewhere.

Shaving can be a chore that must be done each morning like brushing your teeth or, it can be elevated for a relatively modest amount to something luxurious, at least for myself!

In any case, I hope you enjoy your wet shaves and new razor. Shaving cream and different blades can make a lot of difference. In terms of your technique and user error, better gear really does help! That being said, try shaving after you shower or, put a hot water-soaked washcloth on your face before you start your shave. Then go slow and take your time paying attention to the angle of the razor on your face and the amount of pressure you are using. You should be getting a good shave without any blood with a reasonable shave technique. Pay attention to weepers post-shave and any irritation to where you shave and try to remember what was different from those areas and the ones that came through with a good shave, not blood, and no irritation.

Practice and paying attention to what is different should get you wet shaving without irritation or blood pretty fast!
sidpost

Post by sidpost »

I would also suggest buying better shave creams and soaps. While they are more expensive initially, many people find they use less so they last longer. This means that in many cases, the "good stuff" and the "cheap stuff" end up costing the same or nearly the same when you factor in how much use you get per dollar for each item!

With Nivea and Aveeno shave creams, I find I run out and need a new can much less than my old-time daily user Edge Gel. Those two are ~50% more expensive but, they last a lot longer too! The Nivea and Aveeno are better for shaving, better for my face, and simply more luxurious, to me at least.

Hard soap pucks are a different story altogether. They are more expensive, and take more time to lather up but, the scents, and skin treatment is on another level of luxury. Since I have a scuttle and shave brush, I'm really only out the cost of the soap puck at this point.

I suspect my "good shave soap" days are similar to women doing a Spa day for pennies a day for me with the gear I already own. With my newish stainless razor, scuttle, brush, and, blades, I'm a little over $100 in something that brings a lot of joy and pride to a rather ordinary daily chore!
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

sidpost wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:01 pm
I would also suggest buying better shave creams and soaps. While they are more expensive initially, many people find they use less so they last longer. This means that in many cases, the "good stuff" and the "cheap stuff" end up costing the same or nearly the same when you factor in how much use you get per dollar for each item!

Again, you're spot on. I thought I posted about this a couple days ago. Maybe my post ended up in the black hole of the forum's idiosyncrasies, maybe my wording was less than sensitive so it got deleted, or more than likely I just forgot to hit "submit."

Here's the stuff I currently use. Actually, I always have two different pucks going at one time. It's expensive, but a puck lasts over a year. After using good soap, foam that comes out of a can from the grocery store is like using bug spray.

IMG_9887.jpeg
JoshLikesSekiCityKnives

RustyIron wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:56 pm
sidpost wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:01 pm

Again, you're spot on. I thought I posted about this a couple days ago. Maybe my post ended up in the black hole of the forum's idiosyncrasies, maybe my wording was less than sensitive so it got deleted, or more than likely I just forgot to hit "submit."

Here's the stuff I currently use. Actually, I always have two different pucks going at one time. It's expensive, but a puck lasts over a year. After using good soap, foam that comes out of a can from the grocery store is like using bug spray.

IMG_9887.jpeg
Nice looking tin container.
JoshLikesSekiCityKnives

Doc Dan wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:33 am
The King Gillette should be okay. If you would buy a really good razor one time that will be sufficient. Razors you can't go wwrong with are Henson, Edwin Jagger DE89 (just this model), old Gillette Tech razors. There are a number of others that would work but I am absolutely confident one of the two I mentioned will make you happy. The Henson is the best one. Get the color that you like. https://hensonshaving.com/

Maggard still has some of the older version 1 in red. https://maggardrazors.com/search?type=a ... t&q=Henson

Liking those Hensons. May get one in a few months once I get out of debt. Thanks for the links.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:44 pm
Doc Dan wrote:

Liking those Hensons. May get one in a few months once I get out of debt. Thanks for the links.
By far my favorite DE Safety Razors. I have all three aggressions, but the medium (++) is my favorite. I have a blue, a black, a silver, and my wife has a red one.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JoshLikesSekiCityKnives

Doc Dan wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:21 am
Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:44 pm
Doc Dan wrote:

By far my favorite DE Safety Razors. I have all three aggressions, but the medium (++) is my favorite. I have a blue, a black, a silver, and my wife has a red one.
I want the silver Henson. I read the specs and they are very unique in their qualities.
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

I found out about the Henson on this form. Almost haven't used my vintage adjustable Gillettes since then. Really a great razor. So who ever first mentioned it, I thank you.
I started with the EJ DE89 as well. Still a good razor. I've also had good luck with some of the Parker offerings and they're not expensive either.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I had a long day planned last Saturday, so I used the Henson +++ and a Feather blade - although carefully.

I had my 5-o-clock shadow on Sunday!
Ric

Post by Ric »

I ordered the Henson medium 2.0 :D
I love the smoothness of the first version, how it glues to the skin.
This I am missing on #2.
But #2 is much better under the nose.

For me the handle is the same.
The AL13 aggressive also had the new handle. Did not notice when I bought it.

I changed now the handle of #1 and #2 because at #1 after use the handle was so hard to unscrew. Maybe due to tight tolerances.