Good Jeans

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
zenith2

Re: Good Jeans

Post by zenith2 »

Jeans that have served me well:

Kimes Ranch
Levis 541
Wrangler (though the fit generally is less than desirable due to my frame)
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

As a kid, into young adult I wore Levis. Then I noticed the quality was not as good and started looking for replacements. Tried out Old Navy and they fit weird, plus the quality was not great. Next tried Wrangler, fit was off, but quality was OK. Then I got some Lee jeans and liked them.

That said I just switched over to Duluth Trading Ballroom jeans. Bit pricier but my youngest son is working there while in college so his employee discount is nice. Best jeans I've had, actually bought my 2nd pair yesterday to replace one of the worn out Lee jeans I was wearing.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Halfneck wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:05 am
Next tried Wrangler, fit was off, but quality was OK. Then I got some Lee jeans and liked them.

That said I just switched over to Duluth Trading Ballroom jeans.

Same here. Wrangler was ok, but didn't fit perfect. Lee fit pretty good. Levis fit the best, but the either the quality has declined, or I just don't know how to shop. Earlier today I ordered another pair of Lee jeans, but not without consulting this thread first. The Lees are $33 to my door. They'll start off as dress pants, and soon be demoted to casual pants. And if I'm being stupid by wearing them in the garage and they get covered in grease and welding spatter, then it's no big deal.

I checked out your Duluth. They looked good, and the web site had several styles available for under $35. As it turns out, those pants are all sized for underfed teenagers. The man-sized styles are more than I'm willing to pay.
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

My four pairs of Bulletprufes are all still going strong, although the gray pair have started fading into a strange pinkish color...not affected by other laundry. LOL

I still wear Levi 505's (non-stretch) and have several pairs of Raleigh selvedge jeans that have taken on a life of their own.

Iron Heart, Gustin and Naked & Famous get also mentions...

For stretch and durability I find the Bulletprufes hard to beat. I've done Duluth and Carhartt for work but at 5'10/160lbs and being semi-vain, they are function over form.
So it goes.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I've wanted to try Iron Hearts, but they are really expensive. I haven't been thrilled with Gustin or N&F. Being similar size, I think I'd feel the same way about Duluth and Carhartt.
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

cabfrank wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:54 am
I've wanted to try Iron Hearts, but they are really expensive. I haven't been thrilled with Gustin or N&F. Being similar size, I think I'd feel the same way about Duluth and Carhartt.

Curious; What are your go-to's at the moment? Not thrilled with the fit or quality?
So it goes.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Fit mostly. I've been wearing Rag & Bone, which I know are not really the same stuff, but I like the way they fit. It's almost time to try something new though.
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

cabfrank wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:45 pm
Fit mostly...

Cut and weight make all the difference, but if you're looking for tough slim fit work pants, I do recommend the Bulletprufes but maybe size down and add length depending on how you like your fit.

Will (the owner) will work with you and returns/exchanges are super simple. You can find the pants for 60% off on a seasonal basis, they are completely worth a shot. I ordered one pair, then ordered another 3 pair the next time they were discounted.

Best of luck

P.S. I prefer the Slim Fit
So it goes.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Thanks. I am considering a pair of those.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Airlsee wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:11 pm
cabfrank wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:45 pm
Fit mostly...

Cut and weight make all the difference, but if you're looking for tough slim fit work pants, I do recommend the Bulletprufes but maybe size down and add length depending on how you like your fit.

Will (the owner) will work with you and returns/exchanges are super simple. You can find the pants for 60% off on a seasonal basis, they are completely worth a shot. I ordered one pair, then ordered another 3 pair the next time they were discounted.

Best of luck

P.S. I prefer the Slim Fit
I wear the “adventure fit,” because I am a person of considerable leg girth, but I also really love my Bulletprufes. I started with two, then did two more a year later - both on those crazy 60% off sales.

They are hands down the best jeans I’ve owned. I am looking forward to the day they decide to do an actual denim color, or several.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

RustyIron wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:45 am
Halfneck wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:05 am
Next tried Wrangler, fit was off, but quality was OK. Then I got some Lee jeans and liked them.

That said I just switched over to Duluth Trading Ballroom jeans.
I checked out your Duluth. They looked good, and the web site had several styles available for under $35. As it turns out, those pants are all sized for underfed teenagers. The man-sized styles are more than I'm willing to pay.
Yea the price for the Duluth Ballroom jeans is more than I would usually spend on jeans. My daily work pants are mostly Wranglers Riggs Technician khakis. My jeans only get worn casually so they tend to last a good while. Once a pair starts to wear, they become my beater yard work pants. Since I was able to use my son's Duluth employee discount I paid around $40 for them. If they hold up as well as my Lee jeans, I'd even be willing to pay full price.
Foehammer

Post by Foehammer »

I wear American eagle jeans and they’re ok, but I’m thinking about getting some proper boot cuts that are more durable. Is Wrangler a good brand? Looking for something that won’t break the bank.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

~Joe

MNOSD member #0045
mongo1958

Post by mongo1958 »

Carhartts jeans and dungarees.
Mongo1958
****John3:16****
:bug-red-white Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary? :bug-red-white
Para 3 Dark Blue G10 S110V (First Spyderco), PM2 Black G10 S45VN, Manix 2 LW Translucent Blue BD1N, Sage 5 LW S30V, Shaman G10 S30V, Tenacious C122BK SE LW, Native 5 LW SE S35VN, P4SE K390, Delica 4SE K390, Endela SE K390, Caribbean SE LC200N, Dragonfly 2 S30V (wife's first Spydie), Autonomy 2 Black LC200N DLC SE.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I’m normally a “relaxed fit” jeans guy, as I’m pretty athletic and muscular through the legs. I accidentally ordered a couple of “straight fit” Carhartt jeans from Sierra.com at $20 a pop maybe a year ago, and finally wore a pair today while everything else was in the wash.

Definitely a bit restrictive, but I’ll be darned if I didn’t get several compliments. I’ll tell you one thing, I’m glad I can dress comfortably for work.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.