Knife maintenance - Ballistol

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
pantagana23

Knife maintenance - Ballistol

Post by pantagana23 »

Hello fellow forum members,

I have a question regarding Ballistol versions.

Been using classic Ballistol spray (as in the picture below) for 10 years now for arms maintenance and cleaning sticky tape that would get stuck on the blade of my knives, sometimes would even push it in the pivot when I was too lazy to open the knife.

As I'm almost all out, was looking to get it somewhere local, when I stumbled upon this silicon version:

Have any of you been using this version to clean and lubricate your knives, as opposed to standard Ballistol.

All advices and knowledge is welcome.
MacLaren

Re: Knife maintenance - Ballistol

Post by MacLaren »

I'm sorry, can't say that I have. Although, I am interested in this.
benben

Post by benben »

Yep never used the new Ballistol.

I've been using and loving Breakthrough Battle Born, great stuff, the metal needle applicator is just a plus!
https://www.breakthroughclean.com/produ ... oz-bottle/
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

I don't use the Ballistol Silicone on knives, but I've used it for a variety of other maintenance tasks. It's fine, perhaps containing more lubricant-to-propellant, but I haven't compared enough to be certain.

Regular Ballistol works fine for me, but rather than buying buying it in an aerosol that gets in the air and all over everything, I get the bulk can and then put it into needle applicators. I think precision lubrication is better on knives, guns, and most other mechanisms.

IMG_3635.jpeg
Senfkarte

Post by Senfkarte »

I don't have any proof for this, but I am always a bit skeptical about the combination of Ballistol and knives.
If I am right, Ballistol is able to clean a gun. It is able to get rid of copper and there is copper in bronze. The washers are made out of bronze.
But on the other hand one would probably need a lot of Ballistol over a long period to cause real damage. And Ballistol says on their website that one can use Ballistol to protect and maintain knives. So it probably is absolutely fine and I overthink this way too hard.

I am sorry, I never have used the Silikon-Öl from Ballistol.
pantagana23

Post by pantagana23 »

RustyIron wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:53 pm
I don't use the Ballistol Silicone on knives, but I've used it for a variety of other maintenance tasks. It's fine, perhaps containing more lubricant-to-propellant, but I haven't compared enough to be certain.

Regular Ballistol works fine for me, but rather than buying buying it in an aerosol that gets in the air and all over everything, I get the bulk can and then put it into needle applicators. I think precision lubrication is better on knives, guns, and most other mechanisms.
I do have Nano Oil when I disassemble the knife, but what I found that Ballistol is great at is removing sticky tape residue on blade.

Every here and then I get to open quite a lot of boxes at work, and found that the tape residue is very difficult to remove - this was until I used Ballistol on a cotton mop, just wiped everything clean.

Also used it to lubricate pivots prior to buying Nano Oil (which is not something easily bought in Europe.

Nano Oil, however, gets sticky and collects a desert of dust on everything I put it on.
OldHoosier62

Post by OldHoosier62 »

Used Ballistol for years on guns, knives, etc....No issues at all. It's good to go.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I don’t trust silicone as a lubricant so I would avoid it and stick with the original. Plus you really don’t want silicone on any wood you might want to refinish someday. Research silicone contamination in wood for detail. I see very little upside to silicone sprays and too many downsides.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

JRinFL wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:25 pm
I don’t trust silicone as a lubricant so I would avoid it and stick with the original. Plus you really don’t want silicone on any wood you might want to refinish someday. Research silicone contamination in wood for detail. I see very little upside to silicone sprays and too many downsides.
I agree with you concerning silicone . I have been using Tri-Flow for several years . I have been looking at the various offerings by Nano , just not sure what weight I want to try out . I do like Ballistol standard and Lucas n firearms . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:06 am
JRinFL wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:25 pm
I agree with you concerning silicone . I have been using Tri-Flow for several years . I have been looking at the various offerings by Nano , just not sure what weight I want to try out . I do like Ballistol standard and Lucas on firearms . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

I've always wanted to try Ballistol but never have. I have used silicone, but only on blades, never on pivots, washers, etc. It works pretty well, leaves a very thin layer, probably good protection.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I've been a huge fan of Ballistol since the year I joined this Forum ( 2004). I was doing some business with the guys at SFO and they told me to try it for cleaning some of my hard use folders. I did and I was pleasantly surprised at how well it worked with G-10 handles in particular. I literally rejuvenates G-10 handles like magic in many cases.

But I've used it on a myriad of different jobs over the years and I've had excellent results. I've not yet tried any of the other variants of Ballistol but I'm anxious to test them out. I've got my first 3 16 ounce cans of Ballistol from SFO over the years but I'm actually wanting to know of a good vendor that I can get these other versions of Ballistol to try out.

I'm wanting to see what this thread covers because the original Ballistol is a product I'm already sold on and I'm anxious to hear more about these other variants.