1 year of keto dieting results

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Evil D

1 year of keto dieting results

Post by Evil D »

Really more like about 7 months of hardcore strict keto and then 5 months of lazy keto where I gained back as much as 17lbs from my lowest but I've fluctuated at around a 60lb loss.

I started on November 7th 2020 at 245 pounds and hit my lowest back in June 2021 at 172 pounds and currently sit lazily at around 180-185 most days. I still have quite a bit of belly/spare tire that I need to get rid of but it seems I'm going to have to drop my weight down to what is probably an unhealthy weight in order to burn the rest of it off because at 172 I was getting reeeeally thin everywhere else and I don't know if losing more beyond that would be a good idea. I also haven't done anything serious as far as building muscle (yet), just basic pushups/planks/free weights in the mornings but I'll most likely be joining the gym with my wife at some point. 12 hour shifts make it hard.

Anyway, this is in no way a "hey look at me give me praise" post, far from it, it's more of it hey if you feel like you need to drop some weight you can do it if you actually want it. What I learned more than anything else is that while diets like keto help (and believe me keto DOES help) ultimately it's going to come down to eating less (calorie deficit aka eat less than you burn) and sticking with it long enough to actually see results. I think it says a lot about how well keto works if you consider I had lost almost 75lbs without ever stepping foot inside a gym and never ran a single mile and I did it in 8 months.

Also if you're wondering, my blood pressure, cholesterol etc are all fantastic. My doc is super pleased with it all. Apart from my old man back I'm as healthy as I've ever been.
20211109_143258.jpg
Attachments
20211109_133030.jpg
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Ramonade

Re: 1 year of keto dieting results

Post by Ramonade »

Congrats ! I'm happy for you, even your skin is an indicator of how well your body seems to be running now !
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Ramonade wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:58 am
Congrats ! I'm happy for you, even your skin is an indicator of how well your body seems to be running now !

Some of that may be selfie camera mode. I don't think I've got any filters on (I don't use that crap) but another thing for sure is the pic quality has jumped leaps and bounds between the full body shot and recent. That pic isn't actually from 1 year ago it's from about 6 years ago but I weighed the same as when I started the diet and it's one of the only selfies I could find showing that much of my torso.

But yeah a big part of that is also that I drink a bunch of water now vs not drinking any at all back then. I usually drink around 4 liters a day now depending on how much coffee I drink 🤫
~David
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Fantastic David!
Congratulations brother. You've made a lifestyle change and that ain't easy.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Excellent David, very happy for you. Your health is your wealth.

I did keto for a little bit but didn’t keep it up. I am a naturally skinny person so I wasn’t doing it to lose weight but rather to feel better.

Do you find that you have better mental clarity? After about a week my brain seemed to feel really good. My overall mood and mental acuity were great. I read that your brain runs well on ketones. I have been thinking about doing it again just for the health benefits even though I don’t need to lose much weight. Even though I am not overweight my blood work could be a lot better.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:08 am
Ramonade wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:58 am

Some of that may be selfie camera mode. I don't think I've got any filters on (I don't use that crap) but another thing for sure is the pic quality has jumped leaps and bounds between the full body shot and recent. That pic isn't actually from 1 year ago it's from about 6 years ago but I weighed the same as when I started the diet and it's one of the only selfies I could find showing that much of my torso.

But yeah a big part of that is also that I drink a bunch of water now vs not drinking any at all back then. I usually drink around 4 liters a day now depending on how much coffee I drink 🤫
Change of camera might have something to do with it indeed !I'm with you on the filters, I don't get it, for any pic really (maybe just the old fake black and white, or sepia...).
As for skin tone, it's just something that I've noticed with myself. With stopping smoking and starting to drink way more water. I used to drink almost no water (some, from all the bad stuff I was drinking like Coke for example). Water really helps, and IMHO there is a lot of us not drinking anywhere near enough water everyday.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I will 3rd the importance of h20 and the danger of coke in particular. Imo, stick with a clear soft drink if you must.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:20 am
Excellent David, very happy for you. Your health is your wealth.

I did keto for a little bit but didn’t keep it up. I am a naturally skinny person so I wasn’t doing it to lose weight but rather to feel better.

Do you find that you have better mental clarity? After about a week my brain seemed to feel really good. My overall mood and mental acuity were great. I read that your brain runs well on ketones. I have been thinking about doing it again just for the health benefits even though I don’t need to lose much weight. Even though I am not overweight my blood work could be a lot better.

Yes absolutely, and now I'm on the opposite side where eating carbs makes me feel like garbage. My understanding is that carbs are easier for your body (and more importantly your brain) to process as energy, but fats are a better quality source. Once your body knows what to do with fats and learns to live without carbs as an energy source you feel very different. One of the biggest benefits is that I don't get a crash from lack of food between meals because I'm always burning fat, so if it's not from food it's from my gut. I also feel a more direct effect from what I eat and I like that feeling, food feels like it has more of a purpose than just for taste or pleasure (as it really should).

What goes hand in hand with keto is intermittent fasting, and that's where the sharp mental focus really starts to get crazy.
~David
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

Congrats David! I'm currently working on losing weight and getting healthier myself. I've lived a mostly sedentary lifestyle the last 10+ years out of college with my job being behind a computer, but about 10 weeks ago I started to pick up cycling. I do about 16mi a day for 5 days a week, and I'm working on fixing my diet as well.
--Jeremy
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Impressive results David! Amazing what our bodies are capable of if we can just stick to a program, work a little harder, stay motivated and get in a routine. You've proved that.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

If you have the means, I would recommend BJJ or boxing over just a gym. BJJ in particular gives you a hobby with a skill set that will affect body composition. Most of the schools have some type of weights around too. Just a suggestion
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Great work! I've been doing "almost Keto" for a couple of years now. I need to buckle down and get more serious about it. However, if people want to make a good change, they need to avoid all the easy carbohydrates (most especially sugar) in their diet. A little daunting at first, but it gets much easier over time. Much weight will just come off from doing low/no carb alone. It's scary how incorrect the traditional food pyramid is and how much they still get wrong today.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JRinFL wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:51 am
Great work! I've been doing "almost Keto" for a couple of years now. I need to buckle down and get more serious about it. However, if people want to make a good change, they need to avoid all the easy carbohydrates (most especially sugar) in their diet. A little daunting at first, but it gets much easier over time. Much weight will just come off from doing low/no carb alone. It's scary how incorrect the traditional food pyramid is and how much they still get wrong today.

Yeah the food pyramid was 100% about selling product and nothing about nutrition. I remember when Subway was pushing their subs as being healthy while you're eating a whole dang loaf of bread.
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

There is a lady who I've read a lot about named Dr. Lorraine Day who claims that she literally cured herself from cancer ( both breasts) by eating a strictly vegetarian diet. She claims the only 2 items that she cooks are rice and potatos>> everything else she eats raw.

Her website is www.drday.com

I have been presented with testimony from a close relative that her diet indeed works. Not to mention the lady is now 84 years old and she looks like a woman in her late 40s or early 50s. And I've seen her on a very recent video in the past 2 months. It's nothing short of incredible. I doubt if I would have the determination or discipline to stay on a diet that rigid. I have somewhat of a sweet-tooth and I love dairy products. But the proof seems to be in the pudding with Dr. Day's claims.

I've heard a lot about KETO diets but really know nothing about them. If I ever get in bad shape maybe I'll consider some type of radical diet.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

JD, there was a man named Max Gerson who claims to have cured cancer in the 40’s with a diet of raw produce and coffee enemas. He is long gone but his daughter still carries on his method.

I don’t know how true it is but I do believe that food is medicine and that you can address many health problems with diet.

I once went an entire year eating nothing but cooked meat and raw produce. No starches or grains. It wasn’t low carb because I ate a ton of fruit. The idea is that cooking kills lots of beneficial bacteria as well as enzymes. There is merit to the idea of eating raw food. I have been into fermenting lately. Homemade sauerkraut, fermented pickles and fermented beets. It is eaten raw so it has the enzymes intact and you get extreme amounts of probiotics. Good for the guts and it keeps the colon happy. It should reduce the chances of colon cancer from built up toxins. I make sure to eat raw food everyday. I get my honey from a local guy and it is also raw/never heated. Lots of good stuff in there. Store bought honey and store bought sauerkraut is pasteurized and lots of the good stuff has been killed off. I want to get hooked up with a supplier of raw milk soon.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:54 am
JD, there was a man named Max Gerson who claims to have cured cancer in the 40’s with a diet of raw produce and coffee enemas. He is long gone but his daughter still carries on his method.

I don’t know how true it is but I do believe that food is medicine and that you can address many health problems with diet.

I once went an entire year eating nothing but cooked meat and raw produce. No starches or grains. It wasn’t low carb because I ate a ton of fruit. The idea is that cooking kills lots of beneficial bacteria as well as enzymes. There is merit to the idea of eating raw food. I have been into fermenting lately. Homemade sauerkraut, fermented pickles and fermented beets. It is eaten raw so it has the enzymes intact and you get extreme amounts of probiotics. Good for the guts and it keeps the colon happy. It should reduce the chances of colon cancer from built up toxins. I make sure to eat raw food everyday. I get my honey from a local guy and it is also raw/never heated. Lots of good stuff in there. Store bought honey and store bought sauerkraut is pasteurized and lots of the good stuff has been killed off. I want to get hooked up with a supplier of raw milk soon.
That's interesting because I've also heard Dr. Lorraine Day speak of those coffee enemas too on one of her several videos that she has made. I've got a lady friend who is a super health food nut who swears by those coffee enemas as well. I have heard of "Max Gerson" before but I can't quite recollect where I heard his name previously. Oh sure there is a lot of stuff that helps with cancer and other heath problems that big Pharma doesn't want anyone to know about. I'm into health food as well but not nearly as much as my lady friend is. But Dr. Lorraine Day is a super testimony. I've had people I really trust tell me that her story is genuine too. I can't believe how nice looking she is at age 84. She doesn't have one wrinkle on her face at all. I would have guessed her to be probably mid or late 50s the most.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Congratulations David on losing the weight. You look great and I can imagine you feel great.

I need to drop 50lbs. I'll look at whatever people are doing and see what my Dr recommends. I was diagnosed with diabetes (I think) last month. I have so many Dr appointments, it's hard to keep track of what is going on.

I took my COVID booster shot last week, and just took my mother to get hers today. I'm 61 w several comorbidities, and mom is 81. We're hanging in there.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Naperville wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:44 am
Congratulations David on losing the weight. You look great and I can imagine you feel great.

I need to drop 50lbs. I'll look at whatever people are doing and see what my Dr recommends. I was diagnosed with diabetes (I think) last month. I have so many Dr appointments, it's hard to keep track of what is going on.

I took my COVID booster shot last week, and just took my mother to get hers today. I'm 61 w several comorbidities, and mom is 81. We're hanging in there.

This all started in part out of fear of diabetes, funny enough because I had a cat that got it and I nursed him through 3 years of insulin before we had to put him to sleep and it broke my heart watching him go out that way (14 years). I figured it sucked that much for a cat, I don't wanna deal with it myself if I can avoid it.
~David
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:44 am

I started on November 7th 2020 at 245 pounds and hit my lowest back in June 2021 at 172 pounds and currently sit lazily at around 180-185 most days. I still have quite a bit of belly/spare tire that I need to get rid of but it seems I'm going to have to drop my weight down to what is probably an unhealthy weight in order to burn the rest of it off because at 172 I was getting reeeeally thin everywhere else

Congratulations, and nice work, David. When I was fat, I chose to lose weight by dieting a different way, but our results were similar. When I hit 230, I put on the brakes and realized I was heading in the wrong direction. I dropped down to 168, and then decided that wasn't healthy, either. I started looking too scrawny. Currently I'm at 195, although I think somewhere in the 180's would be my sweet spot. I also have a sub-optimal mid-section, but I try not to be too concerned about it. To be realistic, even if we dropped another 10, neither one of us has much of a shot at being featured in Abercrombie & Fitch's next underwear catalog. The great thing about maintaining a sensible weight, aside from the obvious health benefits, is just being able to engage in strenuous activity for periods that would wreck average folks--greater ability to do more fun stuff.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

RustyIron wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:03 pm
Evil D wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:44 am

I started on November 7th 2020 at 245 pounds and hit my lowest back in June 2021 at 172 pounds and currently sit lazily at around 180-185 most days. I still have quite a bit of belly/spare tire that I need to get rid of but it seems I'm going to have to drop my weight down to what is probably an unhealthy weight in order to burn the rest of it off because at 172 I was getting reeeeally thin everywhere else

Congratulations, and nice work, David. When I was fat, I chose to lose weight by dieting a different way, but our results were similar. When I hit 230, I put on the brakes and realized I was heading in the wrong direction. I dropped down to 168, and then decided that wasn't healthy, either. I started looking too scrawny. Currently I'm at 195, although I think somewhere in the 180's would be my sweet spot. I also have a sub-optimal mid-section, but I try not to be too concerned about it. To be realistic, even if we dropped another 10, neither one of us has much of a shot at being featured in Abercrombie & Fitch's next underwear catalog. The great thing about maintaining a sensible weight, aside from the obvious health benefits, is just being able to engage in strenuous activity for periods that would wreck average folks--greater ability to do more fun stuff.

Yeah actually the day I officially started this diet we were on a hike through some woods that go up some pretty serious elevation changes and it was absolutely killing us to walk up it. We decided right then that we're too young to be killing ourselves just hiking up a hill. I don't know that I'm in any better shape as far as endurance and such goes since I haven't done anything to improve on that stuff but just the fact that I'm carrying around 60-70lbs less weight is a very noticeable difference even just in my day to day routines. I even noticed my boot soles are wearing differently because my walking gate has changed. It's incredible how we adjust to the extra weight over time but if I picked up 60lbs and tried to hike up that hill right now it would be even more difficult.
~David