1 year of keto dieting results

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
nerdlock

Re: 1 year of keto dieting results

Post by nerdlock »

Congratulations on achieving this D. One thing that's very hard for anyone who wants to go into any diet regimen is consistency and discipline, and it's awesome that you have achieved all of that. I've been Intermittently Fasting (IF) for almost 3 years now but I kinda fell off the fast when COVID first hit and my daily work schedule was affected due to all the quarantine protocols etc. I've read that IF pairs nicely with Keto but my BMI and weight ratio is still good so I'm shelving that plan off - at this point the only stubborn fats that I'm trying to get rid of are the usual love handles around the waist.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

That's awesome David! I did a Keto similar diet back in 2013. Lost about 30lbs and it stayed off. I am not as strict with it now, just try to eat healthy cooked meals with minimal grains and avoid packaged goods. Seems to stay off for all these years even being less strict. I feel so much better.

Also, I only drink the essentials WCW. Water/Coffee/Whiskey
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

That’s excellent D!! I often go on Keto diet for 3-4 weeks at a time. I’m just finishing up a month on right now. My hobbies keep me in pretty decent shape for my age but at 52 it takes a little more effort each year to keep muscle mass up and body fat down. Inevitably it’s a losing battle but I’m trying to go down swinging. :smirk

I’d love to eat donuts and cinnamon rolls every day but I just start feeling terrible if I eat that stuff for too long. Keto sucks for the first few days but then it’s pretty easy and once your “in”, both physically and mentally it’s one of the easiest and fastest ways I know to drop fat. The only problem I have is finding a “healthy balance” when I start adding carbs back in. At first I’m like “ok, one banana a day and maybe a few beans”. A few weeks later I’m at the bakery every day. Whatever, haha.

Regarding losing ALL the belly fat, I’ve kind of given up on that. I can do it but the rest of me gets too skinny. I start losing muscle, strength and endurance. What’s the point of that? I want to feel good and perform well, not be an instagram model. :smirk I say eat healthy food, get plenty of exercise and whatever your body looks like is what its supposed to look like.

Congrats again on the dedication. It’s powerful to learn how much we can change our health just by what we put (or don’t put) in our bodies.

ETA: Your immune system is undoubtedly MUCH stronger today than it was a year ago. The massive correlation between obesity and disease was somehow overlooked in all of the last 2 years excessive public health messaging. I can’t imagine why? Oh wait, maybe because “it’s somebody else’s fault you aren’t well” and “don’t change anything, here’s a shot/pill to fix you” are much more popular and profitable messages. ;)
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

JSumm wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:02 pm

Also, I only drink the essentials WCW. Water/Coffee/Whiskey
NOW I’m listening…
vivi

Post by vivi »

Surfingringo wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:13 pm

ETA: Your immune system is undoubtedly MUCH stronger today than it was a year ago. The massive correlation between obesity and disease was somehow overlooked in all of the last 2 years excessive public health messaging. I can’t imagine why? Oh wait, maybe because “it’s somebody else’s fault you aren’t well” and “don’t change anything, here’s a shot/pill to fix you” are much more popular and profitable messages. ;)
so true. we're two years deep into this. a person can change their health A LOT in two years.
:unicorn
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Surfingringo wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:13 pm
I say eat healthy food, get plenty of exercise and whatever your body looks like is what its supposed to look like.
i'm definitely not as healthy as i need to be, but i've come to realize this as well. we're not all going to look like statues of greek gods. it's just not in the cards for everyone, but we can still be healthy and be happy for that.

this thread has me inspired to do better for myself and my family. time to get serious.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
max808

Post by max808 »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:44 am
Really more like about 7 months of hardcore strict keto and then 5 months of lazy keto where I gained back as much as 17lbs from my lowest but I've fluctuated at around a 60lb loss.

I started on November 7th 2020 at 245 pounds and hit my lowest back in June 2021 at 172 pounds and currently sit lazily at around 180-185 most days. I still have quite a bit of belly/spare tire that I need to get rid of but it seems I'm going to have to drop my weight down to what is probably an unhealthy weight in order to burn the rest of it off because at 172 I was getting reeeeally thin everywhere else and I don't know if losing more beyond that would be a good idea. I also haven't done anything serious as far as building muscle (yet), just basic pushups/planks/free weights in the mornings but I'll most likely be joining the gym with my wife at some point. 12 hour shifts make it hard.

Anyway, this is in no way a "hey look at me give me praise" post, far from it, it's more of it hey if you feel like you need to drop some weight you can do it if you actually want it. What I learned more than anything else is that while diets like keto help (and believe me keto DOES help) ultimately it's going to come down to eating less (calorie deficit aka eat less than you burn) and sticking with it long enough to actually see results. I think it says a lot about how well keto works if you consider I had lost almost 75lbs without ever stepping foot inside a gym and never ran a single mile and I did it in 8 months.

Also if you're wondering, my blood pressure, cholesterol etc are all fantastic. My doc is super pleased with it all. Apart from my old man back I'm as healthy as I've ever been.

20211109_143258.jpg
Amazing progression Evil D! You look incredible, your knees are surely grateful for the load decrease. It takes a lot of strength, determination and consistency to achieve your goals, and it only took you a year!?! Took me 5 years to get from a fat/unfit 225lbs to a dry buck 80. Good luck on the rest of your journey and if you're looking for some more science I would strongly recommend Dr. Huberman's channel. He's a neurology professor at Stanford and really dives into the nitty gritty. Way over my head sometimes but really fascinating stuff... Have a good one Sir.

Max
MNOSD 0047 - mens sana in corpore sano -
Do more than is required of you . Patton
For man's only weapon is courage that flinches not from the gates of **** itself, and against such not even the legions of **** can stand. Robert E. Howard
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Very interesting and inspiring thread.
And congratulations on your progress, D!

To be honest I'm not big on diets, though I think it could be worth looking into.

I do however look at pretty much every aspect of life in an evolutionary perspective to have some grasp on what makes sense and not. Obviously so much of the modern way of life is hyper novel, so to avoid being totally bugged down by excessive information processing and decision making I go with the flow for the most part and just grasp for the low hanging fruits as far as trying to stimulate the primitive component of my genes.

Food wise I try to stick with pure/natural ingredients and avoid processed food. I'm not actively avoiding carbs, but do try to limit the amount of carbs I consume.
I eat a lot of fish, which besides being generally healthy, is a crucial source of vitamin D in these higher latitudes.
A large portion of my meat comes from hunting, but I do supplement with meat from domestically farmed, grass fed animals if I have to. And I usually have to.

As a modern human with an office job, my primary approach to combating the hyper novel life style is to avoid sitting down and spend as much time outside as possible. Unfortunately I've developed a couple of self induced chronic illnesses over the years (mostly from trying to hard, rather than too little) that more or less limits what I can do much more than my own motivation, but I do what I can with what I have.
Hiking, wild camping, hunting, fishing or just talking a walk/run through the forest. Anything that reinforces my connection with nature and keeps the body active in some way.
Needless to say, with a full time office job, kids and a plethora of other obligations, my time spent outside is still not what I would want it to be, but any amount goes a long way.
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

Congratulations, Evil D.

Back in the '70s, my wife went on a low carb diet.
I lost 45 pounds and achieved my ideal weight of 140 pounds.
Forty some odd years later after jobs with travel and expense accounts
and poor self control and enough beer to float a battleship
I gained all that back and more.

A few months ago at age 74, I stepped on the scale and saw the number 200.
Now, I'm 170 on a self imposed low carb diet.
I do my own shopping and don't cook so the diet is really boring.
Eggs, hamburger meat or tuna are my main staples.
Only 30 more pounds to go.

But with 14 guests and great cooks here for Thanksgiving, all bets are off.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Nice work Evil D! It is motivating to discover what works for your body.

I've had great results on keto 5-6 years ago, dropping 50 lb over about 8 months. I couldn't imagine in my wildest dreams that 17 years later I would fit into my wedding suit again!

The last few years I was a bit relaxed about keto, and added a few kgs, no surprise. I started again in March with keto and IF with good results.

I've been able to maintain a healthy stable weight on that. The added mental clarity is real and is a fantastic side effect.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
kwakster

Post by kwakster »

Keto may act as a preventative measure for Covid:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/labs/pmc/a ... MC8003632/
Lucabrasi

Post by Lucabrasi »

Congrats OP. I started it this past May, am down 75 right now. Though started around 400, so long way to go still. But yes, if you can get your mind around it this is doable. Just have to look at food less as an opportunity for hedonistic joy and more as part of the job to fuel your day.
Current Spyderco: Native 5 LW s35vn; Delica zdp; Caly 3.5 zdp/CF; Chapparel FRN cts xhp; Southard 204p; Kapara s30v; Ikuchi s30v; Spydiechef lc200n, Waterway Lc200n; Manix 2 LW 20cv

Past Spyderco: Endura zdp; Manix 2 LW s110v; Paramilitary 2 s30v
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Lucabrasi wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:32 am
Congrats OP. I started it this past May, am down 75 right now. Though started around 400, so long way to go still. But yes, if you can get your mind around it this is doable. Just have to look at food less as an opportunity for hedonistic joy and more as part of the job to fuel your day.

That is still hard for me even after all this time. What helps me is to surround myself with healthy options and above all else stay as busy (aka distracted) as I can. They say idle hands are the devil's plaything and the devil likes to make me snack on everything in sight lol.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

Hang in there, you guys.
You are saving your lives.

For you youngsters out there, it's like this.
If you blow up a balloon and let the air out
it goes back to its original size.

If you blow up a balloon and keep it for weeks
when you let the air out it is flabby
and stretched out of shape.

Your hide will do the same thing.
Wait too long and though you lose weight
you will have flab and folds of skin.
I'm 74 so I can say this with authority.

Start now.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.