1 year of keto dieting results

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
z1r

Re: 1 year of keto dieting results

Post by z1r »

Congrats. Nice achievement.

I've managed to lose 15 lbs over the last couple of years, and 10 of those since early summer when I had my last physical. My cholesterol hit the top end of the "good" zone which motivated me to change up my diet. I'll be looking into the Keto diet to see what I can do to get me to my goal. I'd like to lose another 20 lbs. I know I need to up my H20 intake. I don't soda or other sugary drinks including juices.
austrian_spyder_fan

Post by austrian_spyder_fan »

Congrats!
How do you feel?
Maiden Fan!? :winking-tongue

ASF
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

David, I have a question. I found it difficult to actually achieve keto. It is my understanding that you can go into ketosis on both the Atkins diet and the Keto diet with the main difference being that Atkins is a high protein diet and Keto is a high fat diet. Proteins are more filling than fats and I think many people who say they are doing keto are actually doing Atkins. If someone is just eating lean meat and green vegetables their carbs will be low enough to achieve ketosis but they won’t be consuming enough fat to truly be on the keto diet.

When I did it I ate lots of vegetables soaked in butter or olive oil and tried to eat fattier pieces of meat and fish. When actually tracking it I found it hard to get 70-80% of my calories from fat and was often closer to 50-50. Do you track your macronutrients that closely or do you just try to stay under your carb limit?
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:07 am
David, I have a question. I found it difficult to actually achieve keto. It is my understanding that you can go into ketosis on both the Atkins diet and the Keto diet with the main difference being that Atkins is a high protein diet and Keto is a high fat diet. Proteins are more filling than fats and I think many people who say they are doing keto are actually doing Atkins. If someone is just eating lean meat and green vegetables their carbs will be low enough to achieve ketosis but they won’t be consuming enough fat to truly be on the keto diet.

When I did it I ate lots of vegetables soaked in butter or olive oil and tried to eat fattier pieces of meat and fish. When actually tracking it I found it hard to get 70-80% of my calories from fat and was often closer to 50-50. Do you track your macronutrients that closely or do you just try to stay under your carb limit?

Yeah I track everything. I've found that too much protein will actually knock me out of ketosis if I eat more than my body will use because at a certain point it starts to turn into glucose, and/or you get so much less ketones in your blood or urine that testing your pee shows you're no longer in keto. That may not mean you're not going to lose weight, but for me personally I have actually seen weight gains and weight plateaus from changing nothing more in my diet than eating larger quantities of proteins so I think there's something to it.

We have a notebook of recipes we've collected and a few of them are soups (we LOVE soup around here). One of them for example uses a lot of cream cheese as a base and that jacks the fat ratio way up. Then most keto recipes (well, any recipe) that calls for meat can be tweaked to adjust how much protein you're eating per serving so you can dial in on what's best for your goals. We also cook with real butter or lard/tallow and when we're being super strict we even count the numbers for butter and even seasonings.

That soup I mentioned is really simple to make too, we just call it spicy broccoli soup. I'll look tonight and get you the recipe. It's really filling for being soup, and then if you want or need more you can make a grilled cheese. I think it's Marie Calendar (again I'll check the brand) that makes a 1g per slice keto bread that we use. Apparently a lot of these breads are false advertising and have way more carbs than they claim so we try to eat it sparingly.

Also be careful with veggies, many of them are loaded with carbs and a carb is a carb. Some will say they don't count carbs from veggies but your body will count them the same as if they came from a candy bar. We tend to stick with broccoli and cauliflower and sometimes green beans but beans are another you should be careful with. Unfortunately potatoes are out which really sucks because I could live off potatoes alone lol.

When we make a recipe we look at anything we can delete from it without ruining the end result and you can trim quite a bit of carbs by cutting out things like shredded cheese from a salad and you won't miss it if you eat the salad with dressing because you taste the dressing more than anything else.

The simplest way to go about it, but also the most boring way, is to just make X size portion of meat and X size portion of some low carb veggie and stay within your numbers. I found that sticking below 20 carbs a day is a good goal for weight loss, and protein is usually less than 60g and fat can be as high as 130g. Once you start tracking those macros you won't have to worry about calories because they'll fall in line with the macros, and/or if you set a higher calorie goal you'll see higher macro goals but that'll depend on your weight loss goals. The shocking thing about all this is how much most of us are over eating and how we don't even realize it. I guess it depends a lot on how active your lifestyle is but with me for example, a 2000 calorie diet will absolutely cause me to gain weight even if I do it with a keto diet because I just don't burn 2000 calories on an average day. People who work out or have more physical jobs might, but office workers really should consider looking into what their actual resting caloric intake is because you may be shocked to find that even when you think you're eating light you're eating far more than you need and that's where people end up not seeing progress despite trying really hard on their diets.

So...sorry to be long winded. I do use a tracker for my macros, it's a free one called Stupid Simple Keto. I really only use it to manually enter my macros and keep track of them each day and to log my daily weight. I found that weighing everyday is a big motivation for me, others say it'll drive you crazy and only weigh once a week. Personally I know I'll backslide into old habits if I'm not bordering on being militant with myself so the first thing I do every morning is weigh in and log my weight.

Here's an example of my daily calorie/macro split. The 5/80/15% split is perfect for weight loss.
Screenshot_20211112-094105_Keto.jpg

This whole thing starts to become a bit of a game once you get a feel for it. I have a pretty good control over it all at this point, I feel I could drop 10lbs in a month if I wanted to with nothing more than tweaking what I eat.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Super interesting post - thank you for sharing, David.

Everyone looks better in an Iron Maiden t-shirt, though….
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:04 pm
Super interesting post - thank you for sharing, David.

Everyone looks better in an Iron Maiden t-shirt, though….

Up the irons! 🤘

I was lucky enough to see them live finally in 2018. Honestly the best concert I've seen and I've been to a bunch.

Here's that soup recipe, it's the second one on this page called "KETO JALAPENO POPPER CHICKEN SOUP" the wife said she substitutes the chicken for broccoli and that keeps it from being too much protein and I guess that's how we ended up calling it spicy broccoli soup.

https://peaceloveandlowcarb.com/jalapen ... cken-soup/
~David
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Tonight she made what is basically just chicken fajitas but we either don't eat it with tortilla wraps at all or we get the 1 carb per wrap stuff (again, not sure how much that stuff can really be trusted so we just try to play it safe and eat small amounts of it). She just grills some chicken thighs (higher in fat that white meat and we like dark meat better anyway), bacon, mushrooms, green peppers, onions and cheese and our numbers came out to 14 carbs, 34 fat and 60 protein so we're far from hitting that 80% fat goal, but if you're focus is on weight loss then that's not a bad thing because it's a little counterintuitive to eat too much fat if you're trying to burn it. Eating lots of fats helps you to feel full and it can even help to push your body into keto, but coming in under your numbers is never a bad thing IMO.
~David
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I'm down to one meal a day for the most part here. I eat around 3 to 5PM. We will see what kind of weight I can lose by just cutting back on eating with no snacking.
Last edited by Naperville on Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Naperville wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:02 pm
I'm down to one meal a day for the most part here. I eat around 3 to 5PM. We will see what kind of weight I can lose by just cutting back on eating with no snaking.

A lot of times that's what I end up doing just because my work day is sometimes too busy for lunch. It varies sometimes, I'll have time for a 4 course meal and other times I don't have time for a restroom break. With counting macros I've found it's a lot easier to do one meal and it feels more filling when you can pack it all into that single meal. Supposedly this is also known as the Warrior diet because apparently the Spartans ate this way, one meal around mid day. If I could eat my main meal around noon everyday I absolutely would, but I like having dinner at home with the family.

Another thing I've found that helps with all this is keeping a healthy sleep cycle. This is something I have to stay on top of anyway because it's a migraine trigger, but you won't have to deal with hunger or cravings if you're asleep lol.
~David
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

So far there has been one small drawback to losing weight....seems that I can no longer tolerate cold weather like I used to. It hasn't really dipped below freezing much here yet and I've already been freezing my butt off. I guess fat really is a good insulator.
~David
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Evil D wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:51 am
So far there has been one small drawback to losing weight....seems that I can no longer tolerate cold weather like I used to. It hasn't really dipped below freezing much here yet and I've already been freezing my butt off. I guess fat really is a good insulator.
100%!

I grew up a rink rat and was at the rink 4 to 6 hrs a day. Tonight when I go, I'm thinking about wearing my Winter coat so that I don't freeze.

Here at home I usually throw on more shirts and a baseball cap. If the torso is warm you should be OK.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Wild Turkey 101 is a great warming vessel but maybe counter to the keto conversation
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

There is an old timeless saying that I've heard several times over the years that goes "You Are What You Eat". I've always known in the back of my head that there was a lot of truth in that statement. Because I have encountered some people with very impressive testimonies including David's and it usually involves serious diet changes.

But I'm not completely convinced that all of these particular new diets are good for all people. I do believe there is some truth about different diets for different blood types. I do believe some people have more need for protein than others and some people can't get away with eating any sweets or junk food at all. There are some people that just can't burn it off for whatever reason. Sweets have never been a problem for me but in the past few years I have switched over exclusively to raw honey, real molasses and Real Maple Syrup. I do think that white sugar and for certain most artifical sweeteners are somewhat poison . I'm also far more leery of the dairy industries these days with all the hormones they use. Also I'll opt to eat wild game and fresh fish over any store bought meat when I have the option.

Another thing I've found beneficial as I've gotten older is the simple exercise of "walking" is incredibly helpful. I push myself on average to walk 2 to 3 miles each day. And on good days I walk up to 5 miles. Walking pays great health dividends and it does improve your weight and overall attitude. But I do congratulate David on the incredible discipline he had to accomplish his goals.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:44 pm
There is an old timeless saying that I've heard several times over the years that goes "You Are What You Eat". I've always known in the back of my head that there was a lot of truth in that statement. Because I have encountered some people with very impressive testimonies including David's and it usually involves serious diet changes.

But I'm not completely convinced that all of these particular new diets are good for all people. I do believe there is some truth about different diets for different blood types. I do believe some people have more need for protein than others and some people can't get away with eating any sweets or junk food at all. There are some people that just can't burn it off for whatever reason. Sweets have never been a problem for me but in the past few years I have switched over exclusively to raw honey, real molasses and Real Maple Syrup. I do think that white sugar and for certain most artifical sweeteners are somewhat poison . I'm also far more leery of the dairy industries these days with all the hormones they use. Also I'll opt to eat wild game and fresh fish over any store bought meat when I have the option.

Another thing I've found beneficial as I've gotten older is the simple exercise of "walking" is incredibly helpful. I push myself on average to walk 2 to 3 miles each day. And on good days I walk up to 5 miles. Walking pays great health dividends and it does improve your weight and overall attitude. But I do congratulate David on the incredible discipline he had to accomplish his goals.
A lot of truth here. I have always been around 170 and 6 feet tall but in trying to get single digit body fat in my best gym days, I did very low carb for longer than I should have and developed gout. I can’t say exactly what caused me to get gout but I am convinced running low carb for many years played a part. I also have tried just about every form of hardcore exercise and have lots of issues at 47 that could have been avoided with more moderation. I don’t moderate well, but have finally learned to at least exercise some moderation
Last edited by twinboysdad on Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Well, "diet" aside, sugar in general is not good for anyone. Whatever nutritional value things like honey have, comes from other things in that honey besides the carbs themselves. A person can live with higher amounts of carbs if they have a much more active lifestyle, but we also have a diabetes epidemic for a reason and sugar/bread/carbs are the cause and keto is just one solution to avoid and even reverse diabetes. It's really less about being a diet and more what humans are meant to be eating in the first place, we weren't designed to be drinking Coke and eating donuts, and even naturally occurring sugar found in nature is hard to come by so it would be a very small part of our natural diet.
~David
Hopweaver

Post by Hopweaver »

Congrats! Your results are inspiring. I just started my KETO journey two weekends ago.

Two weeks ago I had a blood test and my doctor said the results showed prediabetes. They sent me home with some low-fat/high carb diets promoted by the government (USDA food pyramid). What a joke. Tell someone who has too much glucose in their bloodstream to eat foods that cause glucose to go up.

I did some of my own research and determined KETO was a better way to go. I am already down 9 lbs in less than 2 weeks and starting to feel much better. Have more energy and am less hungry between meals. I just recently discovered (a few days ago) some information on the benefits of fasting. I've started to shorten my food intake window and not snacking after 7PM.
:bug-red Make time for the important things in life, and learn to enjoy the little things more. :bug-red
sok

Post by sok »

Congrats Evil D. Thanks for putting this out there. I was on the Atkins diet about 15 years ago and lost about 30 pounds before I fell off the wagon. I did feel great and need to do it again.

Most of my life, when going to the doctor, I always get lectured for high blood pressure. I went to the doc for some ailment, when I was in the middle of the diet, and the nurse took my blood pressure. I braced myself for the blood pressure lecture and when it didn’t come I asked her if my blood pressure was high. She said no, that it was good.

I agree, carbs are terrible for general health and should be avoided.

Ironically, Atkins died slipping on a patch of ice and hitting his head.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

D, thank you for the reply. I find nutrition fascinating. Like I said, food is medicine.

No need to apologize for being long winded, especially to me. I have the gift of gab. We have been chatting on here for many years now and I figured you were tracking your macros closely. I’m truly happy for you. Your doing great man.

I agree about sugar being bad. I did some research about the glycemic index and what it means for your body, interesting stuff. Your body pretty much releases insulin to trigger your body into storing blood sugar as fat. This is a survival mechanism not only for storing calories but also because your body needs to maintain your blood sugar in a small window or else you can fall into a diabetic coma or have seizures. Eating foods that are too high on the glycemic index like sugars triggers you to release insulin to basically keep you alive. It’s a fascinating system but most people are very much abusing it, hence the epidemic of both diabetes and obesity.

The first thing your body wants to do with blood sugar is convert it to glycogen which is stored in muscles as an instant energy source. This is why active people who consume small amounts of high glycemic index carbs don’t see spikes in blood sugar or the release of insulin. Sedentary people already have their glycogen stores full so any high glycemic carbs quickly become blood sugar causing a trigger to release insulin which in turns triggers the body to convert that blood sugar into stored fat. Active people on keto can consume 50 grams of carbs and still stay in ketosis because all those carbs get converted to glycogen and not blood sugar/body fat. If you exercise less you may need to limit your carbs more to maintain ketosis.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

We were told for decades that the devil was salt and fat when in reality it has always been carbohydrates (includes sugars), carbohydrates, and carbohydrates. Even if you don't or cannot go full keto, reducing carbs as much as possible will help your health immensely.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

that's awesome! congrats!
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C