freedom v. fear

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
ladybug93

Re: freedom v. fear

Post by ladybug93 »

Ankerson wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:04 am
In society in general there are and always have been rules (laws) and regulations that have to be followed. There always has been and will be someone in charge running things.

Want to live in a civilized society or not?

Freedom is NOT free.

Civilized Society is not a free for all do anything and everything one wants to do anytime they please with no rules and laws.

No one person is the whole world, people really do need to grasp that reality and sooner than later.

Nobody is telling one they can't own a knife, they are just telling one they aren't going to bring it into (enter place here).

Their house their rules.

Reason does not matter.

People have the freedom to choose not to enter whatever place if they don't like it.
i'm sorry, but this whole post is ridiculous. no one is arguing that you should be able to do whatever you want whenever you want and however you want. no one is asking for anarchy. last i checked, that's a far cry from wanting to carry a pocket knife.

here is the problem with your reasoning...
if they don't allow knives because i might stab someone to death, that's an unnecessary rule that inhibits my freedom. there are already reasonable laws that prevent me from stabbing people, regardless of what knife i'm carrying. not allowing people to carry knives is not part of a reasonable law for society because there are a host of other reasons to use a knife that have nothing to do with harming others.
if they don't allow knives because i might vandalize something, that's an unnecessary rule that inhibits my freedom. there are already reasonable laws that prevent me from vandalizing, regardless of what knife i'm carrying. not allowing people to carry knives is not part of a reasonable law for society because there are a host of other reasons to use a knife that have nothing to do with harming property.

and what kind of argument is it to say you can own it and just not carry it? what good does a knife do locked in a safe? what a silly thing to say.

so, your whole position about how we need laws to have a civilized society is misplaced here. you might be fine surrendering your freedom to accomplish goals that sound nice even though they are already covered under other, more reasonable laws, but you shouldn't be so quick to surrender the rights of others because you like to be dismissive and don't care to think about your position.

successful societies are not only held together by laws, but also by freedom and rights.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

aicolainen wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:38 am
This development isn't so strange to me (though I'm no expert). It's sad, but not strange.

Increasing urbanization and globalization is decoupling most people from basic tasks and processes.
Very few are self sufficient or employ even a basic level of preparedness anymore, and while the pandemic might have turned the tide a little bit, at least for a little while, self sufficiency has pretty much been frowned upon in later times. It is borderline illegal many places.

If you grow up in an urbanized environment, you will not be familiar with the useful applications of knives, firearms and other dangerous tools. And if you're not familiar with their useful and harmless applications you will become distrustful of anyone in possession of such an object. If you live in a crime ridden area this distortion becomes even more amplified.
I will argue that more people are being harmed by familiar objects and "tools" that they do not fear, than of e.g. pocket knives. I personally fear smart phones and social media to a much larger degree than knives. Anecdotally I got my first O/U shotgun when I was 12. That would be impossible today, yet I would rather my kids had their own shotguns at 12 than their own smart phones at 9, which is so common these days, that you risk having kids that become social outsiders if you hold back as a parent.

A little insight as far as Norway goes, and it's getting quite silly; Legally, you're not allowed to carry any weapon in public, and anything that is deemed suitable to cause bodily harm is considered a weapon under the law.
So going back to my point of self sufficiency being borderline illegal, if you're following the law by the letter, you're pretty much unable to prepare for anything unexpected.
For instance the inside of a car on a public road is considered to be public space, so in theory you can't legally stash really important tools like spanners, a snow shovel, a knife or any other basic preparedness item in your car, that could be misused to harm someone.

Now, such stringent laws would never work in practice, and my guess is that most Norwegians are blissfully unaware of the full extent of these laws. Although we're being urbanized at warp speed, there's still some amount of common sense going around, and common sense is thankfully to a large extent governing the enforcement of these laws.
The sad part is that these laws makes anything you do a gamble at worst or a privilege at best. In what's probably a well intended "development" to catch and prosecute (real) criminals, the law is slowly turned into a tool that makes everyone a criminal rather than what I consider the intention of a law to be: a fair contract that makes interaction between people, organizations and government bodies predictable, so we can spend our time being productive rather than fearful.
that is insane. i'm sorry you have to deal with such laws. i agree with you that it's sad we're being legislated out of knowing how to take care of ourselves. what a crazy time it is. i'd also agree with you that smart phones are very dangerous. there are probably more victims of accidents caused by cell phone usage than there are from violent knife crimes, but my phone isn't sharp, so it's okay.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

ladybug93 wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:57 am
Ankerson wrote:
In society in general there are and always have been rules (laws) and regulations that have to be followed. There always has been and will be someone in charge running things.

Freedom is NOT free.

Civilized Society is not a free for all do anything and everything one wants to do anytime they please with no rules and laws.

No one person is the whole world, people really do need to grasp that reality and sooner than later.

Nobody is telling one they can't own a knife, they are just telling one they aren't going to bring it into (enter place here).

Their house their rules.

Reason does not matter.

People have the freedom to choose not to enter whatever place if they don't like it.
i'm sorry, but this whole post is ridiculous. no one is arguing that you should be able to do whatever you want whenever you want and however you want. no one is asking for anarchy. last i checked, that's a far cry from wanting to carry a pocket knife.

if they don't allow knives because i might stab someone to death, that's an unnecessary rule that inhibits my freedom. there are already reasonable laws that prevent me from stabbing people, regardless of what knife i'm carrying. not allowing people to carry knives is not part of a reasonable law for society because there are a host of other reasons to use a knife that have nothing to do with harming others.
if they don't allow knives because i might vandalize something, that's an unnecessary rule that inhibits my freedom. there are already reasonable laws that prevent me from vandalizing, regardless of what knife i'm carrying. not allowing people to carry knives is not part of a reasonable law for society because there are a host of other reasons to use a knife that have nothing to do with harming property.

and what kind of argument is it to say you can own it and just not carry it? what good does a knife do locked in a safe? what a silly thing to say.

so, your whole position about how we need laws to have a civilized society is misplaced here. you might be fine surrendering your freedom to accomplish goals that sound nice even though they are already covered under other, more reasonable laws, but you shouldn't be so quick to surrender the rights of others because you like to be dismissive and don't care to think about your position.

successful societies are not only held together by laws, but also by freedom and rights.

I believe you are mistaken about the rights you think you have, but never did. ;)

That is a major issue with a lot of people these days that just don't understand that hard FACT.

You or anyone else do not have the right to carry or do what they want on private property.

Never did, and that is NEVER.

It is up to those property owners and their right to make the rules.

THEY decide not YOU or anyone else what is tolerated and or allowed on their property.

People are a guest when they enter a place of business etc. So they have to abide by their rules.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Ankerson wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:45 pm
ladybug93 wrote:
Ankerson wrote:

Freedom is NOT free.

Their house their rules.

Reason does not matter.

I believe you are mistaken about the rights you think you have, but never did. ;)

That is a major issue with a lot of people these days that just don't understand that hard FACT.

You or anyone else do not have the right to carry or do what they want on private property.

THEY decide not YOU or anyone else what is tolerated and or allowed on their property.

People are a guest when they enter a place of business etc. So they have to abide by their rules.
the museums are largely run by and about 2/3 funded by the government. it's not a private business. try again.

i just knew you would jump on this thread and start condescending. i should know better than to engage with someone that behaves the way you do on these threads. i'm done. you can continue to be ridiculous all you want. the rest of us can have a sensible conversation around you.
current collection:
spyderco steels:
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

ladybug93 wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 5:11 pm
the museums are largely run by and about 2/3 funded by the government. it's not a private business. try again.

i just knew you would jump on this thread and start condescending. i should know better than to engage with someone that behaves the way you do on these threads. i'm done. you can continue to be ridiculous all you want. the rest of us can have a sensible conversation around you.
Yes, far better to simply ignore him.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

ladybug93 wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 5:11 pm
Ankerson wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:45 pm
ladybug93 wrote:
Ankerson wrote:

Freedom is NOT free.

Their house their rules.

Reason does not matter.

Hardly, you just don't really have a clue about what you are talking about in the 1st place.

That is the problem. Some think they have these assumed rights that just don't exist.

Government Buildings?

Federal or State, you have to follow their rules, their guidelines or you will end up in jail. Take a weapon into a Government building?

Like I said before you don't have the rights you think you do and never did and that is NEVER.

Get educated, learn something before talking.

You would be much better off.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:05 am
I get it with art galleries, unfortunately. There have been multiple incidents of lunatics slashing important artworks, and even the tiniest SAK is all that is needed. As a consequence you also often have to look at pieces behind glass, from a distance, or even a make do with seeing a copy.

I’ve had a non locking SAK confiscated, and another time barred entry for having a SAK, going into stone built ancient monuments, however. I could have whittled one of the sign boards, or scratched my moniker somewhere, I suppose ….

Personally, I blame the Risk Assessment culture, where the person implementing it is far-and-away most concerned with the risk to themselves. If there was such a risk to the population from knives as they must otherwise believe, every restaurant would be a scene of carnage and a total bloodbath!
to a degree, i understand what you're saying. i was walking around another a historical site recently and there were some beautiful woods on the grounds. as we walked through the fall colors, the sun was breaking through the canopy and it was stunning. then i noticed a specific tree that was especially beautiful, but as my eyes traveled down the trunk to my level, i noticed dozens of names, initials, shapes, etc. carved into the otherwise beautiful tree. such a shame that people can't control themselves when it comes to such impulses. we've surrendered so many rights by failing to govern ourselves properly.

i still think it would be better to remove the fifteen guards from the door and have them patrolling the museum instead. ultimately, anyone could do the damage you're talking about with a number of items that would make it through security without second thought. they should be looking for lunatics based on behaviors rather than assuming someone is a lunatic simply for carrying a tool that is useful for much more than harm.
current collection:
spyderco steels:
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

ladybug93 wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:25 am
. such a shame that people can't control themselves when it comes to such impulses. we've surrendered so many rights by failing to govern ourselves properly.
I really don’t know what the answer is to that. I wonder whether people never really did, but historically were too busy chasing the bare necessities of life to cause problems, or for anyone else to notice?
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Although my life would have been short lived because I was born with certain cardiovascular issues that would have killed me at an early age, I wish that I was born closer to the foundation of the USA, say 1770, so that I could meet the Founders and experience first hand the freedoms afforded to US Citizens in the early years.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Naperville wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:14 pm
Although my life would have been short lived because I was born with certain cardiovascular issues that would have killed me at an early age, I wish that I was born closer to the foundation of the USA, say 1770, so that I could meet the Founders and experience first hand the freedoms afforded to US Citizens in the early years.

You are aware that we were under British Rule until after 1776 right? We were British Colonies.

I know what you ment though.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Ankerson wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:28 pm
Naperville wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:14 pm

You are aware that we were under British Rule until after 1776 right? We were British Colonies.

I know what you ment though.
Yes... I would have been 6yrs old at the founding of the country. To young to be killed by British soldiers, to young to get involved in the uprising, but hopefully old enough to live during the foundation and meet the founders.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

Change my mind.

Hurting innocent people bad.

Knives and firearms are tools.

Weapon restricted environments make easy targets.

News and government use fear and anger to their gain.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

This is why I stay away from downtown Seattle on my personal time. If it came down to it and I had to kill(shoot) someone in self defense, you can bet your *** I will be the one in jail for murder. No thanks. Our society and government is really messed up these days.
Josh
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

Curiously, in this day and age
a knife has become the razor's edge of freedom.

There are basically two schools of thought.
The first is that people are not accountable for their actions
due to circumstances beyond their control
and therefore must be regulated and provided for.
This appeals to both fear and greed, the two strongest motivators.
It gives power to the regulators.

The second is that people are responsible for their actions,
can overcome circumstances and should provide for themselves.
This is rooted in individual liberty and responsibility.
Power lies with the individual, but they are accountable
for the consequences of their decisions and actions.

So a simple knife is more than a tool.
It is a symbol of independence, competence
self sufficiency and individual responsibility.
This does not fit the narrative
for those who desire power over others.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Mad Mac wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:52 am
this is so well said. i've been trying to get these words out for a while now and you hit it right on the head. the knife is one of the most basic tools for the survival of the human race and we've become so weak willed that we see it as a dangerous weapon to be feared rather than a valuable tool to be carried. that symbol, as you put it, is why i feel so frustrated by being regulated out of carrying a knife. it's not because of the blade. it's because of what the blade represents and what the law represents.

thank you for your thoughts.
current collection:
spyderco steels:
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Mad Mac wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:52 am
Curiously, in this day and age
a knife has become the razor's edge of freedom.

There are basically two schools of thought.
The first is that people are not accountable for their actions
due to circumstances beyond their control
and therefore must be regulated and provided for.
This appeals to both fear and greed, the two strongest motivators.
It gives power to the regulators.

The second is that people are responsible for their actions,
can overcome circumstances and should provide for themselves.
This is rooted in individual liberty and responsibility.
Power lies with the individual, but they are accountable
for the consequences of their decisions and actions.

Extremely well-put.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Knivesinedc

Post by Knivesinedc »

This thread has been a pleasure to read through, guys. Some eloquently written statements as well, especially that last post by Mad Mac. I will try to make this reply as short as I can while still communicating my point.

I am currently working as an Armed/Unarmed Security Guard in California (Gear carried is dependent on client needs). I have worked a lot of posts from In-House, high end Hospital security to cannabis dispensaries to agricultural contracts and everything in between. The hospitals usually have a "No weapons" rule written into their policies. The nice thing about high end security, especially in critical infrastructure, is that you are looked at as a working professional rather than a visual presence with no authority. Even local law enforcement liked us at the hospital, because we knew our roles and knew the laws, policies, and could reference the codes for them when necessary. Hospital management also gave us discretion in dealing with people and policies. We had metal detectors and full authority to search an individual under specific circumstances. Despite this, I never took a knife or even a firearm away from someone if there was no legitimate reason to do so. Most of the time, people carrying knives and guns were and are, hard working, well behaved people with no intention of committing a crime. Because of this, there is no reason for me to cause a scene. Their only intention is getting healthcare help for themselves or their family/friends. Just like everywhere else, be it a retail store or a restaurant or a hospital, most people's intentions are not nefarious. For the amount of individuals that come in and leave a business every day, there is a staggeringly low amount of crime utilizing weapons. As an enforcer of rules and laws, I did everything I could to let people self govern and exercise self control. My entire existence is based around dealing with the people who are NOT capable of self control, not the the ones who are. The other thing to keep in mind, is that I am not allowed to violate someones rights just because I'm afraid they MIGHT do something wrong. I will obviously observe, investigate and act if someone is behaving poorly or is clearly doing something wrong, but the balance between enforcing private policy, state law and maintaining individual rights is a very fine line.

This is just a little bit of my view from the "other side" so to speak. I am totally open to questions regarding my job and thoughts as well. Take care, folks!
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Knivesinedc wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:54 am
This thread has been a pleasure to read through, guys. Some eloquently written statements as well, especially that last post by Mad Mac. I will try to make this reply as short as I can while still communicating my point.

I am currently working as an Armed/Unarmed Security Guard in California (Gear carried is dependent on client needs). I have worked a lot of posts from In-House, high end Hospital security to cannabis dispensaries to agricultural contracts and everything in between. The hospitals usually have a "No weapons" rule written into their policies. The nice thing about high end security, especially in critical infrastructure, is that you are looked at as a working professional rather than a visual presence with no authority. Even local law enforcement liked us at the hospital, because we knew our roles and knew the laws, policies, and could reference the codes for them when necessary. Hospital management also gave us discretion in dealing with people and policies. We had metal detectors and full authority to search an individual under specific circumstances. Despite this, I never took a knife or even a firearm away from someone if there was no legitimate reason to do so. Most of the time, people carrying knives and guns were and are, hard working, well behaved people with no intention of committing a crime. Because of this, there is no reason for me to cause a scene. Their only intention is getting healthcare help for themselves or their family/friends. Just like everywhere else, be it a retail store or a restaurant or a hospital, most people's intentions are not nefarious. For the amount of individuals that come in and leave a business every day, there is a staggeringly low amount of crime utilizing weapons. As an enforcer of rules and laws, I did everything I could to let people self govern and exercise self control. My entire existence is based around dealing with the people who are NOT capable of self control, not the the ones who are. The other thing to keep in mind, is that I am not allowed to violate someones rights just because I'm afraid they MIGHT do something wrong. I will obviously observe, investigate and act if someone is behaving poorly or is clearly doing something wrong, but the balance between enforcing private policy, state law and maintaining individual rights is a very fine line.

This is just a little bit of my view from the "other side" so to speak. I am totally open to questions regarding my job and thoughts as well. Take care, folks!
this is great! are you sure you're in california?! :rofl
current collection:
spyderco steels:
Knivesinedc

Post by Knivesinedc »

ladybug93 wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:52 am

this is great! are you sure you're in california?! :rofl
Thank ya sir. Not by choice I'm not 😂
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Growing up, every red blooded American kid had a Buck 110 sheath or equivalent on his belt and 3 3/4" blades were the norm....and this was in California. Won't get political here, but my how things have changed.