Exotic Woods For Knife Handles?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
benben

Re: Exotic Woods For Knife Handles?

Post by benben »

SpyderNut wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:00 pm

I love exotic hardwoods—especially Snakewood. Here’s a Trapper with Snakewood I made several years ago.
Wow, just wow!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

James Y wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:48 am
Not an exotic wood, but I wonder how hickory would work as a knife handle? It’s used for axe handles, for example, and the 51” walking stick I like to carry on my walks is hickory. At least in those applications, hickory is very strong and durable. I don’t know how it would work as a knife handle material, though.

I like some wood handled knives. My favorite Buck pocketknives have wood handles. But for me, wood isn’t a favored handle material on knives. Mostly because I’m concerned about it warping, breaking, etc. Similar to how I feel about bone and stag handles.

Jim
I totally agree with you Jim that Hickory is an excellent wood for all kinds of handles and various other applications as well. It's extremely hard >> and I know that first hand because I used to cut a lot of it with a chainsaw. You will be filing down your chain cutters at the end of the day anytime you cut Hickory or Osage Orange ( hedge trees).

I do also agree with Tom Aiello that you must treat the Hickory wood immediately when you're finished working with it because it doesn't endure weathering and hard work abuse like some other woods do. When it comes to handles for axes, hatchets, hammers, sledge hammers or any other striking tool I will say that Hickory is the best way to go. But again even when using Hickory for an ax handle you better treat it with raw linseed oil or something similar or it won't hold up in the long run.

But as long as you do the linseed oil or other similar maintenance a Hickory handle can last for years.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Pokey wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:16 pm
TomAiello wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:26 am
I've never used it but I see stabilized gum for sale on several knife sites, so I think it probably works. Someone should totally buy some and make some mule scales from it. :)

I've been wondering if someone could make some scales for my Mules if I supplied the wood.
Do you want them removable or non removable ?

What type of wood do you have ?

Being the US too far for me to help out.... But someone here may.... Start a thread in the Mule Forum and tell us more.....
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

benben wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:11 pm
SpyderNut wrote:

I love exotic hardwoods—especially Snakewood. Here’s a Trapper with Snakewood I made several years ago.
Wow, just wow!
Thanks, benben! It was one of my favorites to be sure. I love everything about Snakewood, except for one thing: it has a tendency to shrink. (Nothing too major; only a few thousandths here and there, but it's annoying when you're trying to make everything fit tightly). The stuff that I purchased was not stabilized, so I expected a little bit of shrinkage.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Here’s another one with Snakewood. This one was based off of the Lanny’s Clip pattern.

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

benben wrote:
SpyderNut wrote:

Wow, just wow!
Hey BenBen does snakewood have like an official name or is that the official name they would have it listed in supply catalogs? I'm kind of ashamed to say that this is the first time I've ever even heard of "Snakewood". I love the markings on this "snakewood" you've given us a picture of and also I'm wondering if it is a hardwood similar to Oak, hickory and osage orange ( American hard woods)?

Consider the African Bubinga wood that I've previously spoken of on this thread indeed does have some amazing properties as well as a finished beauty. I remember in the late 1970s that the Colt gun company made a really elaborate "drilling Rifle" ( an "over/under with 12 gauge over and .30-06 under. It was listed at around $11,000 at that time when that amount would pay cash for a really nice vehicle. And it's not the only super elaborate gun that they used African Bubinga wood with.

You would think this snakewood could fall into a similar category maybe?
benben

Post by benben »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:13 pm
benben wrote:
SpyderNut wrote:

Wow, just wow!
Hey BenBen does snakewood have like an official name or is that the official name they would have it listed in supply catalogs? I'm kind of ashamed to say that this is the first time I've ever even heard of "Snakewood". I love the markings on this "snakewood" you've given us a picture of and also I'm wondering if it is a hardwood similar to Oak, hickory and osage orange ( American hard woods)?

Consider the African Bubinga wood that I've previously spoken of on this thread indeed does have some amazing properties as well as a finished beauty. I remember in the late 1970s that the Colt gun company made a really elaborate "drilling Rifle" ( an "over/under with 12 gauge over and .30-06 under. It was listed at around $11,000 at that time when that amount would pay cash for a really nice vehicle. And it's not the only super elaborate gun that they used African Bubinga wood with.

Sorry JD, that was SpyderNut who posted that knife, not me. Sounds like you like it too! ;)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

benben wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:19 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
benben wrote:
SpyderNut wrote:

Wow, just wow!

Sorry JD, that was SpyderNut who posted that knife, not me. Sounds like you like it too! ;)
Whoops!! my bad. Yeah I can see now that the original post was done by Spydernut. And yes I do like the appearance of that "Snake Wood". I would even be interested to know what the tree looks like when it's growing.

I'm going to check with Paxton Lumber here in KC, MO to see if they have any in stock. It's one place here in KC, MO that stocks all types of exotic woods.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:12 am
benben wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:19 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
benben wrote:

Wow, just wow!

Whoops!! my bad. Yeah I can see now that the original post was done by Spydernut. And yes I do like the appearance of that "Snake Wood". I would even be interested to know what the tree looks like when it's growing.

I'm going to check with Paxton Lumber here in KC, MO to see if they have any in stock. It's one place here in KC, MO that stocks all types of exotic woods.
JD, I've also heard it referred to as "Letterwood" or "Armourette." It originates from South America, from what I understand. It is a very hard/dense wood. Snakewood trees grow fairly tall, but they remain slender with only a 6"-12" trunk diameter. I once read that it is one of the hardest woods available--second only to Ironwood. I tend to believe that, having smoked a few drill bits while trying to work with it. It also likes to eat sanding belts. Despite its obstinance, I just love everything about this wood--it is just so different than other species. I buy it in small parcels to use for knifemaking. I need to find a place to have it stabilized because it likes to shrink, which can cause issues with knife handles. If you do find a source out your way, please let me know. I'm always on the hunt for more suppliers.

P.S. This thread reminded me about the piece of Bubinga I picked up several years ago. It is a beautiful piece of wood too. (I've just been waiting for the right design to come along to use it on). I've also become quite fond of Zebrawood. If you like Snakewood, you might also like the unique pattern of Zebrawood.

standy99

Post by standy99 »

Some new Australian Hardwoods

Hooked Needlewood
Sassafras
Figured Redgum
Horse Chestnut
Birdseye Redgum
(Had these stabilised)

And a favourite of Ringed Gidgee
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.