Microtech Question?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
jdw

Microtech Question?

Post by jdw »

I have found myself owning a couple of Exocets that are slowly replacing my D-fly options in my back pocket and both are some kind of treated M390. These are definitely not for hard use, they are for fun. Question is.....How do I care for them? I don't really trust other boards but please help me out here.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
troutinCO

Re: Microtech Question?

Post by troutinCO »

I keep my couple of microtechs blown out with compressed air. Just blow it straight down the blade hole typically. A couple of drops of oil at the choil(?), each side, run the blade in and out a few times and done typically.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I follow the microtech recommendation. Remoil for lube. Usually blow them out with compressed air every so often. Don't over lube them though. That will cause issues. Just a drop on each side of the blade. So 4 drops. Then cycle and wipe off any excess. Of it has a window breaker I will unscrew it to also blow air through that and out of the opening. If you ever want to clean it really good use naphtha /lighter fluid. Pour it in and shake it a bit. Then turn it upside down to drain out. Relube with rem oil. Some people also swear by running them dry with no lube.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Does Microtech have a maintenance service? I own 4 Microtechs but I rarely carry them. Super nice knives, but I find them less ergonomic for EDC than my Spydercos.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

TomAiello wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:58 am
Does Microtech have a maintenance service? I own 4 Microtechs but I rarely carry them. Super nice knives, but I find them less ergonomic for EDC than my Spydercos.
I'm sure they would do maintenance. According to the website if you send in for warranty they will clean, lube, and sharpen the knife for free. I would suggest calling them.
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

I use the recommended REM oil and it’s worked fine. Microtech has a video on YouTube, you should check it out.

I had issues with a UTX-85 and had to send it in… really good customer service, very friendly people. Top notch company. IMO
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

All of my Microtechs I use to have would occasionally get cleaned out with WD40, then compressed air to dry it all out, then a little drop of remoil inside and under the slide. I finally got another Microtech on the way again too, they finally made one without s ridiculous window breaker on the end! The Hera looks beautiful and right up my alley for a OTF.
Josh
brj

Post by brj »

I've been running my OTFs bone dry, no issues so far. Yes, there is more metal-on-metal friction and I guess at some point they will wear out but I strongly suspect this won't happen during my lifetime. Compressed air from time to time to blow out lint and that's pretty much all the maintenance they've seen so far.

I love the Exocet, it's quite pocketable and an irresistible combination of thin blade with awesome slicing abilities (I have the tanto) and an actually hand-filling handle.
jdw

Post by jdw »

murphjd25 wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:51 pm
All of my Microtechs I use to have would occasionally get cleaned out with WD40, then compressed air to dry it all out, then a little drop of remoil inside and under the slide. I finally got another Microtech on the way again too, they finally made one without s ridiculous window breaker on the end! The Hera looks beautiful and right up my alley for a OTF.

The Hera has really been speaking to me as well and I have almost grabbed the SE version a couple of times. I have really enjoyed carrying the Exocets and they have proven to be more durable than I originally guessed. As brj noted they have a handful of grip and nice slicing ability. Have you had a chance to use the Hera yet? Microtech lauds it as an EDC option and I wonder what your experience has been? I also am completely with you on getting rid of the stupid window breaker. Thank you and I appreciate everybody's feedback!
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

jdw wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 5:57 pm
murphjd25 wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:51 pm

The Hera has really been speaking to me as well and I have almost grabbed the SE version a couple of times. I have really enjoyed carrying the Exocets and they have proven to be more durable than I originally guessed. As brj noted they have a handful of grip and nice slicing ability. Have you had a chance to use the Hera yet? Microtech lauds it as an EDC option and I wonder what your experience has been? I also am completely with you on getting rid of the stupid window breaker. Thank you and I appreciate everybody's feedback!
I carry it a few times a week, and have used it. It’s a great edc, I think Microtech finally hit a home run with a knife that splits right down the middle of their lineup. And the clip is just amazing!
Josh