Flat Earthers: Growing In Numbers

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
VooDooChild

Re: Flat Earthers: Growing In Numbers

Post by VooDooChild »

JD Spydo wrote: Well "VooDooChild" I see what you're saying and I do fully understand your point. But for years I've often wondered why they have kept the interior of Antarctica off limits. Even the Science Channel and Animal Planet channel both when they've had any of their shows dealing with creatures from Antarctica they are always without exception doing their shows strictly on the shores of Antarctica and hardly ever in the interior of the continent.

I'm not exactly sure what all the restrictions are with the Antarctic Treaty of 1959. But I do know that the terms of the treaty were agreed upon by at least 40 different nations who have signed it. For some unbeknownst reason they really don't want anything dealing with the continent of Antarctica to go public. It's never been easy to get information from that part of the world for whatever reason.
Well there is a US research station at the south pole. Look up the 300 club. There are also a lot of other research stations on the interiror of the continent.

The only animals that are in the interior of the Antarctic are various birds. Birds that can be found in other places for the purposes of nature documentaries.

Also sometimes the truth is just really boring. Theres nothing out there but ice. If there is anything interesting its under two miles of ice which you couldnt get down to.

Plenty of expeditions went into the interior of Antarctica since its discovery. None of them reported anything out of the ordinary.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Maybe Elvis and Tupac don't want anyone to find their alien spaceship that is parked inside the ice wall on the edge of the Earth...
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Santa Claus has his house down there during the summer and we can't go down there because we will disturb the elves who are busy making toys for the next Christmas.

Any idiot can launch a camera on a balloon and get a shot of a round earth. I think this is just a few people having fun because they know there are imbeciles out there who will believe anything.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

VooDooChild wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:06 am

Now realistically, they could just do it and deal with the consequences after the fact. But then your back to how dangerous it is to fly over in the first place.

Could just trust that we have videos from the ISS and satellites that show the planet is round, show that Antarctica is real and show there is no silly ice wall, but unfortunately (I guess in their defense) we do live in an age where digital manipulation is a real thing and I guess that stuff could be faked. But again, why? What's the big coverup? Are the aliens hiding on the bottom of the earth and that's why they wanna hide it?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mushroom wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:13 am
This is something I do not even pretend to entertain, in the least.

Anyone acting serious about the earth being flat, is either a troll or a moron. It is usually the latter and there is never an in between.
And I think most rational people would agree with you. That's not my point of bringing up this thread. Because I just find it extremely strange that something like the Flat Earth Society can even get off the ground period with all the valid proof there is to refute their claims.

I've often wondered if it wasn't some type of weird mind control experiment or program. I just wonder how it ever grew legs to begin with. And as much as I disagree with them I still want them to have the freedom to explore that issue if they so choose. It bothers me a lot that there is so much intolerance at this time against people who have alternate viewpoints. We are supposed to have freedom of speech here in the USA as well as freedom of religion or any other persuasions for that matter.

I've got a very good neighbor who practices a religion from the far east that I don't agree with at all. But I do want him to have the freedom to practice his religion even though I wouldn't touch it with a 1000 foot pole.
Flat Earth "movement" happened because everyone is allowed to access the internet, even the dumbest people. Dumb people tend to have a strong influence over other dumb people. (Not all dumb people are flat earthers though. I'm a dumb people myself and I strongly disagree with the flat earth crazies.)

Freedom of speech does not exclude the speaker from being wrong. Insisting that the earth is flat is not an alternate viewpoint or an opinion, it is factually incorrect.

I do not feel bad about calling "flat earther's" dumb. They're about as sensible as the earth is flat.
-Nick :bug-red
James Y

Post by James Y »

First off, I will say that there are SOME things I myself either know to be true (and others I simply believe in, or the possibility of) that, in popular opinion, are a bunch of hooey. Just check out my thread dealing with the paranormal.

That said, there is no basis (factual or otherwise) for the Flat Earthers and their theory. In fact, only the opposite is true. The earth is a sphere, pure and simple. COUNTLESS people have circumnavigated the globe, and continue to do so all the time. It’s quite common.

The only thing I can say about the Flat Earthers is that there are some people who think they are too clever. They believe they have it all figured out. “The government (and everyone/everything else) tells me it’s this way; but I’m too smart for them. If they keep telling me something is one way, the truth is really the exact opposite. And I’m one of the elite few who has it all figured out.”

There are some people who are simply contrarians. They believe they are the only ones who have figured out The Big Lie.

Yes, it is a cult. And there are many people in this country (and around the world) who are easily swayed into the cult mentality, for various things. Do the leaders at the top of this Flat Earth Society actually believe their own nonsense, or are they just using it as a tool to gain power over ignorant people? Are they actually trolling their own followers?

Jim
DrHE

Post by DrHE »

Until I watched a documentary on the flat earth groups I honestly thought it was just a contrarian joke. The amount of legitimate scientific evidence and availability of observable results that can be repeated by simple field tests is just staggering. Shocking this is a real thing anymore.
M.N.O.S.D. 0031
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

JD Spydo wrote:
Well "VooDooChild" I see what you're saying and I do fully understand your point. But for years I've often wondered why they have kept the interior of Antarctica off limits. Even the Science Channel and Animal Planet channel both when they've had any of their shows dealing with creatures from Antarctica they are always without exception doing their shows strictly on the shores of Antarctica and hardly ever in the interior of the continent.

I'm not exactly sure what all the restrictions are with the Antarctic Treaty of 1959. But I do know that the terms of the treaty were agreed upon by at least 40 different nations who have signed it. For some unbeknownst reason they really don't want anything dealing with the continent of Antarctica to go public. It's never been easy to get information from that part of the world for whatever reason.

There is nothing in the center of the Continent other than ICE and a few Scientific research Stations from Countries around the world.

It's a White desert.

And in that climate no life can exist with no food.

That continent is MASSIVE so being thousands of miles in the middle of nowhere in that climate away from any sort of life and or food sources nothing animal wise can survive. That's the reason why all the life is around the coasts with access to water and food.
Last edited by Ankerson on Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rangefinder

Post by rangefinder »

Both Roald Amundsen and Robert Falcon Scott made it to the South Pole long before any 1959 treaty. They had plenty of difficulties, but there were no "ice walls" keeping them from falling off the edge of the earth.

Plenty of people have gone to the pole since then. For example, Edmund Hillary did it in 1958: https://nzhistory.govt.nz/media/photo/d ... e-tractors

Incidentally, the book "The Last Place On Earth" about the Amundsen vs. Scott rivalry is long but excellent. There was a mini-series made from the book that was quite good too.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I think some people who claim to be "flat earthers" are just doing it to have a bit of fun. So many people get so worked up over other people's beliefs and ideas and there a bunch of other people who just enjoy giving that group grief. This thread is an example where lots attention is being paid to those "in on the joke."

Of course, there is a core of those who actually believe the earth is flat. It's probably due to some mental condition. If these same people went around claiming they were blue in color, they'd get pity. Claim the Earth is flat and they get scorn and ridicule.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Every proper scientific experience a flat earther made to prove the Earth isn't a spheroid shape just proved the opposite :squinting-tongue.
But nevermind that, these scientists got corrupted by the round side.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
kiwisailor

Post by kiwisailor »

JD Spydo wrote:
Well "VooDooChild" I see what you're saying and I do fully understand your point. But for years I've often wondered why they have kept the interior of Antarctica off limits. Even the Science Channel and Animal Planet channel both when they've had any of their shows dealing with creatures from Antarctica they are always without exception doing their shows strictly on the shores of Antarctica and hardly ever in the interior of the continent.

Hi, JD, one reason most of the Docos are Coastal, is that there is didly squat Wildlife inland..
Antarctica is "officially" the driest continent on the flat or round Earth (choose)

One of my friends has sailed down there on His Son's private yacht from Australia.
Lots of common sense restrictions due to isolation and difficulty of rescue.
Some Kiwis even circumnavigated by kayak a few years ago. No sign of ice wall reported !

There was a large Nazi base there in ww2.
Well documented.
We have a submerged (unintentional)
Nazi Underseebooten close off west coast (Dargaville) that was transporting Bullion to the Base at end of ww2.

Sorry, a bit diverted from the original post.
Regards from the bottom of the World, or is that "the Edge"?
I always wanted to live life on the Edge..
kiwisailor

Post by kiwisailor »

Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:49 am
Santa Claus has his house down there during the summer and we can't go down there because we will disturb the elves who are busy making toys for the next Christmas.

Any idiot can launch a camera on a balloon and get a shot of a round earth. I think this is just a few people having fun because they know there are imbeciles out there who will believe anything.
Yeah, but they use Fish Eye lens to make the horizon curved, the Rotters...
kiwisailor

Post by kiwisailor »

VooDooChild wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:28 am
JD Spydo wrote: Well "VooDooChild" I see what you're saying and I do fully understand your point. But for years I've often wondered why they have kept the interior of Antarctica off limits. Even the Science Channel and Animal Planet channel both when they've had any of their shows dealing with creatures from Antarctica they are always without exception doing their shows strictly on the shores of Antarctica and hardly ever in the interior of the continent.

Well there is a US research station at the south pole. Look up the 300 club. There are also a lot of other research stations on the interiror of the continent.

The only animals that are in the interior of the Antarctic are various birds. Birds that can be found in other places for the purposes of nature documentaries.

Also sometimes the truth is just really boring. Theres nothing out there but ice. If there is anything interesting its under two miles of ice which you couldnt get down to.

Plenty of expeditions went into the interior of Antarctica since its discovery. None of them reported anything out of the ordinary.
Actually, no, that is not correct.
Rocks, mountains and bare Earth are at surface on parts of the Continent.

Years back, my Flatmate who was Head if NZ Survey Party for many years told me about the "Mysterious disappeared C130 Hercules" ⛄️
USA owned.
Takeoff failed, so it was pushed to edge of runway. Too expensive to repair at time.
In time, (5 years?) Become worth while.
So, it was located under ice, ( snow falls had turned to ice and pushed it down)
Ramp cut down with bulldozer and plane cut out with Steam Lance's.
Hercules dragged out, repaired and flown away.
True story, I've seen the photos 🛫
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Evil D you are the greatest! “Show me the edge “ I almost fell out of my chair laughing . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

Flat earthers are only relevant in the context of intelligent people’s collective wish for their obscurity.

Antarctica is a fascinating place, though!
It’s life and geological history is super deserving of more public renown, especially regarding the rich fossil record. What is known of its geologic record joins many other things showing that aforementioned imaginative “Ice Wall” to be a totally bogus notion.

This little video by PBS Eons on Youtube tells a bit of the story if anyone’s interested!
Antarctica served as a passageway and evolutionary sanctuary for prehistoric life between South America and Australia for millions of years and still harbors many incredible life forms.
It’s really not as mysterious as conspiracists would like you to believe.
https://youtu.be/cC4WiBCoVeo
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
standy99

Post by standy99 »

JD Spydo wrote:

No seeing more, polluting. Ice core samples are a treasure trove of information.
Work for Dept of agriculture and environment and have seen extensive maps of Antarctica. Australia has one of the largest territories Nothing but White mountains. Treaty is all about keeping one part of the world void of humans.

The treaty was a diplomatic expression of the operational and scientific co-operation and established Antarctica as a zone of peace and science. As of 2020, there are 54 counties party to the treaty
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

:grin-squint :grin-squint Good one!
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

standy99 wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:21 pm
JD Spydo wrote:

No seeing more, polluting. Ice core samples are a treasure trove of information.
Work for Dept of agriculture and environment and have seen extensive maps of Antarctica. Australia has one of the largest territories Nothing but White mountains. Treaty is all about keeping one part of the world void of humans.

The treaty was a diplomatic expression of the operational and scientific co-operation and established Antarctica as a zone of peace and science. As of 2020, there are 54 counties party to the treaty

Yes, let it all go and let humans in and they will screw it up like most of the rest of the World.

So yeah.