Flat Earthers: Growing In Numbers

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Pokey

Re: Flat Earthers: Growing In Numbers

Post by Pokey »

I guess the photos of Earth from outer space showing it as a globe are easily dismissed as "faked" by the Flat Earthers.

When I started working at the company I currently work for I was told that one of our coworkers was a Flat Earther. He worked in the Quality Assurance department. I thought it was strange that someone would make a living working for a company that for decades has made spacecraft and satellites for NASA. ',:-|
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

This famous Edge flat earthers are talking about, isn't it a ghost ?
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

I am astonished that this is even a subject of contention. I’m sorry but anyone that believes the earth is flat… we’ll let’s just say I would rather not insult you. There are multiple observations and scientific experiments that anyone can do at home to disprove the flat earth theory. Please flat Earthers open a book, do some research. The proof is there and it should be obvious that the Earth is spherical.

Rant over
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Comparisons with creationism comes to mind, but maybe we shouldn’t go there….
olywa

Post by olywa »

Wondering what the underside of the flat Earth looks like... mebbe that's where the Mole people live?
bobnikon

Post by bobnikon »

Mushroom wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:01 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Mushroom wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:13 am
This is something I do not even pretend to entertain, in the least.

Anyone acting serious about the earth being flat, is either a troll or a moron. It is usually the latter and there is never an in between.
And I think most rational people would agree with you. That's not my point of bringing up this thread. Because I just find it extremely strange that something like the Flat Earth Society can even get off the ground period with all the valid proof there is to refute their claims.

I've often wondered if it wasn't some type of weird mind control experiment or program. I just wonder how it ever grew legs to begin with. And as much as I disagree with them I still want them to have the freedom to explore that issue if they so choose. It bothers me a lot that there is so much intolerance at this time against people who have alternate viewpoints. We are supposed to have freedom of speech here in the USA as well as freedom of religion or any other persuasions for that matter.

I've got a very good neighbor who practices a religion from the far east that I don't agree with at all. But I do want him to have the freedom to practice his religion even though I wouldn't touch it with a 1000 foot pole.
Flat Earth "movement" happened because everyone is allowed to access the internet, even the dumbest people. Dumb people tend to have a strong influence over other dumb people. (Not all dumb people are flat earthers though. I'm a dumb people myself and I strongly disagree with the flat earth crazies.)

Freedom of speech does not exclude the speaker from being wrong. Insisting that the earth is flat is not an alternate viewpoint or an opinion, it is factually incorrect.

I do not feel bad about calling "flat earther's" dumb. They're about as sensible as the earth is flat.
This!

Flat earth (and a whack of other bird brained conspiracies) isn't a belief, it is one of two things:
willful ignorance in face of all science, fact and proof; or
purposeful rhetoric.

I don't understand how people can think their uneducated opinion holds value against fact.

Some great memes about a guy sitting on a toilet looking at his phone hollering to his wife to tell her he just discovered something that scientists and scholars missed...

You just can't make this stuff up... but somebody did!
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

Any of you folks heard of the Dunning-Kruger Effect? I'd highly encourage you to read up on it. The wikipedia article has some good information with sources. However, my favorite description of it is the way that Dunning describes the effect in Self-insight: Roadblocks and Detours on the Path to Knowing Thyself. He states, "If you're incompetent, you can't know you're incompetent ... The skills you need to produce a right answer are exactly the skills you need to recognize what a right answer is."
--Jeremy
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

All this time I've been using a globe that was round. I feel so foolish and betrayed! ☹

Now I have to wonder what's on the bottom?
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

So now you all have me thinking...if the Earth is flat then how/why do we have gravity? What's holding us on?
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:40 pm
So now you all have me thinking...if the Earth is flat then how/why do we have gravity? What's holding us on?
Magnets & force of personality?
sok

Post by sok »

Nobody believes the earth is flat. It is a movement being astroturfed to delegitimize other conspiracy theories.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

bobnikon wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:08 am
Mushroom wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:01 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Mushroom wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:13 am
This is something I do not even pretend to entertain, in the least.

Anyone acting serious about the earth being flat, is either a troll or a moron. It is usually the latter and there is never an in between.
And I think most rational people would agree with you. That's not my point of bringing up this thread. Because I just find it extremely strange that something like the Flat Earth Society can even get off the ground period with all the valid proof there is to refute their claims.

I've often wondered if it wasn't some type of weird mind control experiment or program. I just wonder how it ever grew legs to begin with. And as much as I disagree with them I still want them to have the freedom to explore that issue if they so choose. It bothers me a lot that there is so much intolerance at this time against people who have alternate viewpoints. We are supposed to have freedom of speech here in the USA as well as freedom of religion or any other persuasions for that matter.

I've got a very good neighbor who practices a religion from the far east that I don't agree with at all. But I do want him to have the freedom to practice his religion even though I wouldn't touch it with a 1000 foot pole.
Flat Earth "movement" happened because everyone is allowed to access the internet, even the dumbest people. Dumb people tend to have a strong influence over other dumb people. (Not all dumb people are flat earthers though. I'm a dumb people myself and I strongly disagree with the flat earth crazies.)

Freedom of speech does not exclude the speaker from being wrong. Insisting that the earth is flat is not an alternate viewpoint or an opinion, it is factually incorrect.

I do not feel bad about calling "flat earther's" dumb. They're about as sensible as the earth is flat.
This!

Flat earth (and a whack of other bird brained conspiracies) isn't a belief, it is one of two things:
willful ignorance in face of all science, fact and proof; or
purposeful rhetoric.

I don't understand how people can think their uneducated opinion holds value against fact.

Some great memes about a guy sitting on a toilet looking at his phone hollering to his wife to tell her he just discovered something that scientists and scholars missed...

You just can't make this stuff up... but somebody did!

Well, conspiracy theories are and have been around forever.

People will believe just about anything if they are told it enough times it just becomes gospel.

Also if that goes along with what they personally believe or want/need to believe it just sets it in even more.

There is so much garage flying around these days, conspiracy theories, propaganda that people just buy into 100% etc that it's just mind boggling.

But yes ignorance and or willful ignorance is a lot of it.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

sok wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:04 am
Nobody believes the earth is flat. It is a movement being astroturfed to delegitimize other conspiracy theories.

Possibly, or it could just be a way to thumb one's nose at science, the way the Flying Spaghetti Monster movement does with religion.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

The Deacon wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:38 am
sok wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:04 am

Possibly, or it could just be a way to thumb one's nose at science, the way the Flying Spaghetti Monster movement does with religion.

Not here so much, but it is mind blowing some of the things that I see posted online these days.

Just total complete ignorance really.

It would actually be funny if it wasn't so pathetic for some that have been around for almost 6 decades and have no clue about how things actually work in the world.

If they had a clue they wouldn't post 99.9% of what they do.
T.J.

Post by T.J. »

Even with all the supply chain issues, there’s still no shortage of idiots in the world.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I'm going to start a movement that we, humans are actually aliens and we took over the world from dogs. They only love and adore us because their sucking up to us and want their power back. Who's with me!?
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:40 pm
I'm going to start a movement that we, humans are actually aliens and we took over the world from dogs. They only love and adore us because their sucking up to us and want their power back. Who's with me!?

:')
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

T.J. wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:34 pm
Even with all the supply chain issues, there’s still no shortage of idiots in the world.
^ Wins the internet today!
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
me2

Post by me2 »

I delved into this pretty hard about 5 years ago when I heard people really still believed it. It was so outlandish I had to find out how it was possible. What I found was interesting.

They (flat earthers) have a couple issues but I do admire their search for proof and willingness to question accepted knowledge. However they have a singularly amazing ability to reject the proof they find.

One issue is with scale. They don’t really understand how small we are compared to the planet. That scale makes a lot of things difficult to see/detect/observe.

Another is a misunderstanding of physics and science. They do understand some things very well, but other things they just stop about half way through. That said there is a real aversion to math and science by the general public which makes people vulnerable to some less than accurate notions.

I don’t deride them. They are often intelligent and otherwise knowledgeable people. They have just gone off into the forest on this issue. I could happen to anyone. There are mechanisms for correction in research. They just didn’t catch the FEers. Once they pass a certain point they won’t accept the mechanisms even if they’re clearly labeled and explained.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

me2 wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:28 pm
I delved into this pretty hard about 5 years ago when I heard people really still believed it. It was so outlandish I had to find out how it was possible. What I found was interesting.

They (flat earthers) have a couple issues but I do admire their search for proof and willingness to question accepted knowledge. However they have a singularly amazing ability to reject the proof they find.

One issue is with scale. They don’t really understand how small we are compared to the planet. That scale makes a lot of things difficult to see/detect/observe.

Another is a misunderstanding of physics and science. They do understand some things very well, but other things they just stop about half way through. That said there is a real aversion to math and science by the general public which makes people vulnerable to some less than accurate notions.

I don’t deride them. They are often intelligent and otherwise knowledgeable people. They have just gone off into the forest on this issue. I could happen to anyone. There are mechanisms for correction in research. They just didn’t catch the FEers. Once they pass a certain point they won’t accept the mechanisms even if they’re clearly labeled and explained.
An intelligent and thoughtful post.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"