Flat Earthers: Growing In Numbers

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
JD Spydo

Flat Earthers: Growing In Numbers

Post by JD Spydo »

There is a movement that has been gaining steam I would say in the past 10 years or so. They are known as "Flat Earthers". When I first encountered it about a decade ago I immediately blew it off as a fad or just a novelty that had gotten media attention. But in the past two years I've talked to more and more people who are believing in the concept of a "Flat Earth". Well first off I'll set the record straight. I JD Spydo am not a Flat Earther. My oldest Nephew is an astronomer and I've had some in depth talks with him over the years about his line of expertise. But none the less I am still baffled by this current "Flat Earth" movement.

One of the big spokespersons of this movement here in the USA is a guy named Mark Sergeant. I've listened to him on a couple of talk shows and I do find it amusing as to how him and others came to this most strange conclusion. Yes they believe the Earth we live on is a flat disc/plane instead of a globular sphere which I personally believe it is. I base my belief on the fact that all the other planets in our solar system are spherical/round. Not to mention the weather differences between the northern and southern hemispheres. Not to mention the changes of seasons and so forth. I don't believe any of that would be possible on a Flat Earth plane.

However in history this isn't the first time many have believed in the Flat Earth concept. At one time even many of the Earth's rulers and Popes and other religious leaders have believed in a Flat Earth. But it does baffle me as to why this sudden rise of popularity of the Flat Earth concept. The exclusive group of people who believe in a Flat Earth does seem to be continually growing in numbers from sources I've read lately. There is even a group who have an internet site known as the Flat Earth Society. Personally I just don't get it. It is one of the strangest cult-like movements I've ever encountered. I personally see far more evidence of a globular sphere planet. What would create a fad like this? What scientific basis would there be for a Flat Earth? I just wonder if any of you know anything about this most confusing movement that has apparently grown legs in the past few years?
Last edited by JD Spydo on Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Evil D

Re: Flat Earthers: Growing In Numbers

Post by Evil D »

Show me the edge

🤷‍♂️
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:15 am
Show me the edge

🤷‍♂️
That's an interesting concept among Flat Earthers that I've recently asked some of them about. And their answer is something you just couldn't have made up. Most of the Flat Earthers that are in this current movement of the Flat Earth Society believe that the continent of Antarctica doesn't exist. They believe that there is an "ice wall" that surrounds the entire disc/plane that no one can venture into or beyond because of the Antarctic Treaty of 1959.

They claim that they base that on the Antarctic Treaty of 1959 in which several nations signed and agreed to that treaty that they would not allow any independent exploration of that continent. The Flat Earthers believe that is the government's way of hiding the truth about Antarctica. The main content of that treaty is that Antarctica is to be protected from mining, Oil production or anything else that could make that continent a wasteland. Antarctica is actually considered the biggest nature preserve on the planet according to that treaty.

The Flat Earthers claim that Admiral Richard E. Byrd of the US Navy did an interview on a TV Show in the 1950s in which he supposedly spilled his guts revealing that Antarctica is this big "ice wall" that surrounds our disc/plane. I've watched the broadcast about 4 times now and I'm not getting that from listening to him myself. However Admiral Byrd was involved with a military operation known as "Operation Highjump" which actually took place in Antarctica. To this day there is very little that the USA will reveal about that operation which I do personally find to be strange.

But the bottom line is that the Flat Earthers sincerely believe that we are confined by a huge ice wall that surrounds the entire planet i.e. disc/plane. So I guess that's their explanation of "The Edge">> Yeah it is baffling to me as well :thinking
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

And yet no independent believers have tried to break this rule, despite the fact that untold number of people have circumnavigated the globe. I guess they were forced to not fly to the edge?

What exactly is there to gain from lying about this anyway? What would the government be gaining by convincing us the planet is round when it isn't? What's the motive?

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups" - George Carlin
~David
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

I would love to see some flat earthers debate the "time cube" guy.

It would be amazing.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:48 am
And yet no independent believers have tried to break this rule, despite the fact that untold number of people have circumnavigated the globe. I guess they were forced to not fly to the edge?

What exactly is there to gain from lying about this anyway? What would the government be gaining by convincing us the planet is round when it isn't? What's the motive?

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups" - George Carlin
David I find their beliefs incredibly strange myself. But I always like to hear what the other side has to say in their defense. But the "Ice Wall" theory is truly almost laughable. My pastor was 32 years in the US Navy and he told me that he personally knows some guys he served with that were on a ship which circled Antarctica>> that alone blows away the "ice wall" concept. And if you can circle the continent of Antarctica in the southern seas then that more than proves the earth is a sphere.

And your point of why would the government lie about the shape of the earth? And I agree that it would not serve any purpose at all. I do believe that Antarctica is indeed a continent because a guy I did some work for lived there at the McMurdo Station for about a year and he knew all about what went on down there.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

VooDooChild wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:52 am
I would love to see some flat earthers debate the "time cube" guy.

It would be amazing.
Again just the change of the seasons and the differences between the Northern and Southern hemispheres alone blow away what they seem to believe in.

My whole point for making this thread is that I always like to hear the other side of the story whenever there is a debate on virtually anything. I'm just astounded at how many people are latching on to that movement.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Well I guess show me the ice wall then lol.

How is it that in all of history we've never heard of an account of this ice wall? I guess the gub'ment altered history to pull the wool over our eyes.

How do they get every space program in the world to all go along with this lie? Is it some New World Order super power thing? How many astronauts and employees have to be sworn to secrecy and forced to go along with the lie? All those astronauts and not one of them broke their silence about it.

But then we're also talking about the masterminds that faked the moon landing too 🤣
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:32 am

How is it that in all of history we've never heard of an account of this ice wall? I guess the gub'ment altered history to pull the wool over our eyes.

How do they get every space program in the world to all go along with this lie? Is it some New World Order super power thing? How many astronauts and employees have to be sworn to secrecy and forced to go along with the lie? All those astronauts and not one of them broke their silence about it.

But then we're also talking about the masterminds that faked the moon landing too 🤣
Oh they have pictures of what they call the "Ice Wall". And there are walls of ice on the shores of Antarctica. But with the average temperature in Antarctica being below freezing I can understand why.

If there was an Ice Wall around the entire flat plane ( the one that they allege) that would be impossible to hide with our satellite technology as well as with so many seafaring vessels that would encounter it frequently.

Like I said I'm a believer that we are on a spherical globe myself. And I'm not saying this to defend the flat earthers but I do find it rather odd that they won't let a billionaire with his private aircraft to fly over the continent of Antarctica. It does baffle me as to why the Antarctica continent is a "no fly" zone.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

We have circumnavigated the globe in both planes and ships and we have taken pictures of the earth from space.

I think flat earthers are a very small group of people that get way too much attention. Has anybody actually known a flat earther? I have never met one.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Flat earth eclipse

Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:30 am
We have circumnavigated the globe in both planes and ships and we have taken pictures of the earth from space.

I think flat earthers are a very small group of people that get way too much attention. Has anybody actually known a flat earther? I have never met one.
There is actually a small group of Flat Earthers in the town I'm currently living in i.e. Blue Springs, MO USA. I think there are also Flat Earth clubs at some of the local colleges too>> at least that's what I've been told recently.

That Mark Sergeant and his girlfriend ( I forget her name at this time) are doing a lot of talk shows in the past two years. The two of them are considered to be leaders of the movement here in the USA. I think they have both been on Coast To Coast AM which has a huge national audience. But C2Cam has a lot of super weird guests on throughout the years ( especially in the Art Bell days)>> even though they do have some good guests at times too.

Also that movement seems to be sort of popular with high school age kids as well. I see several of them in local shopping malls with their flat earth shirts on. But kids like to get into all kinds of movements over the years.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

JD Spydo wrote: ...but I do find it rather odd that they won't let a billionaire with his private aircraft to fly over the continent of Antarctica. It does baffle me as to why the Antarctica continent is a "no fly" zone.
Just google it, its all pretty straight forward.
https://aerocorner.com/blog/planes-over-antarctica/
standy99

Post by standy99 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:09 am
Evil D wrote:

Oh they have pictures of what they call the "Ice Wall". And there are walls of ice on the shores of Antarctica. But with the average temperature in Antarctica being below freezing I can understand why.

If there was an Ice Wall around the entire flat plane ( the one that they allege) that would be impossible to hide with our satellite technology as well as with so many seafaring vessels that would encounter it frequently.

Like I said I'm a believer that we are on a spherical globe myself. And I'm not saying this to defend the flat earthers but I do find it rather odd that they won't let a billionaire with his private aircraft to fly over the continent of Antarctica. It does baffle me as to why the Antarctica continent is a "no fly" zone.

No fly zone has been around for years due to all the weather observations and weather balloons.
Australian arctic zone has some strict protocol for any interaction. The department of agriculture and environment have up to a few hundred staff there each year.

Also being too hard for and search or rescue…..
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:48 am

It's the same as with all conspiracy theories.

They don't need evidence as there really never is any any to back their claims.

All they are is a lot of hot hair.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

standy99 wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:50 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Evil D wrote:

No fly zone has been around for years due to all the weather observations and weather balloons.
Australian arctic zone has some strict protocol for any interaction. The department of agriculture and environment have up to a few hundred staff there each year.

Oh I completely understand what you're saying about flying over Antarctica being potentially dangerous with weather anomalies and search & rescue being virtually impossible in many circumstances.

But my point is that if a billionaire like Richard Branson, Bill Gates or Lawrence Ellison wanted to take their own private jet and wanted to assume the risk of what might happen I don't see why they would not be permitted to take their own chances if that's what they want to do. Because Antarctica has no government, no military or anything super secretive from what I've been told. I would think any super rich guy should be free to take a bad risk if he wanted to.

But on the other hand maybe there are dangers down there that they don't want to make known to the public. So it's better just to make it a no fly zone. I don't know but it does seem like the nations don't want anyone to see the interior of Antarctica from what I can ascertain.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

JD Spydo wrote:
standy99 wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:50 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Evil D wrote:

Oh I completely understand what you're saying about flying over Antarctica being potentially dangerous with weather anomalies and search & rescue being virtually impossible in many circumstances.

But my point is that if a billionaire like Richard Branson, Bill Gates or Lawrence Ellison wanted to take their own private jet and wanted to assume the risk of what might happen I don't see why they would not be permitted to take their own chances if that's what they want to do. Because Antarctica has no government, no military or anything super secretive from what I've been told. I would think any super rich guy should be free to take a bad risk if he wanted to.

But on the other hand maybe there are dangers down there that they don't want to make known to the public. So it's better just to make it a no fly zone. I don't know but it does seem like the nations don't want anyone to see the interior of Antarctica from what I can ascertain.
The air, just like the roads and just like the waterways, has laws (local, national, and international) that can not be broken just because somebody wants to. Same reason they cant drive their ferrari down the wrong side of the road, or park their yacht in the middle of a shipping channel. Its one of those few instances a billionaire actually gets told they arent above the law.

Now realistically, they could just do it and deal with the consequences after the fact. But then your back to how dangerous it is to fly over in the first place.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Well "VooDooChild" I see what you're saying and I do fully understand your point. But for years I've often wondered why they have kept the interior of Antarctica off limits. Even the Science Channel and Animal Planet channel both when they've had any of their shows dealing with creatures from Antarctica they are always without exception doing their shows strictly on the shores of Antarctica and hardly ever in the interior of the continent.

I'm not exactly sure what all the restrictions are with the Antarctic Treaty of 1959. But I do know that the terms of the treaty were agreed upon by at least 40 different nations who have signed it. For some unbeknownst reason they really don't want anything dealing with the continent of Antarctica to go public. It's never been easy to get information from that part of the world for whatever reason.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

This is something I do not even pretend to entertain, in the least.

Anyone acting serious about the earth being flat, is either a troll or a moron. It is usually the latter and there is never an in between.
-Nick :bug-red
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Mushroom wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:13 am
This is something I do not even pretend to entertain, in the least.

Anyone acting serious about the earth being flat, is either a troll or a moron. It is usually the latter and there is never an in between.
And I think most rational people would agree with you. That's not my point of bringing up this thread. Because I just find it extremely strange that something like the Flat Earth Society can even get off the ground period with all the valid proof there is to refute their claims.

I've often wondered if it wasn't some type of weird mind control experiment or program. I just wonder how it ever grew legs to begin with. And as much as I disagree with them I still want them to have the freedom to explore that issue if they so choose. It bothers me a lot that there is so much intolerance at this time against people who have alternate viewpoints. We are supposed to have freedom of speech here in the USA as well as freedom of religion or any other persuasions for that matter.

I've got a very good neighbor who practices a religion from the far east that I don't agree with at all. But I do want him to have the freedom to practice his religion even though I wouldn't touch it with a 1000 foot pole.