More annoying search, bourbon or sprint knives?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
twinboysdad

More annoying search, bourbon or sprint knives?

Post by twinboysdad »

I never can seem to find a hobby that is mainstream yet has easy access to upper tier variants…I truly believe the bourbon flippers are more committed to the capture than knife nerds. In AL, our state ABC has brick and mortar stores and very much controls the top shelf finds like Pappy Van Winkle, etc. The guys will camp out all night to be in line when store opens and then flip the bottle online. The whole thing has me appreciating FRN Delica/Dfly and Wild Turkey 101 so much more. This may sound like I am not competitive but the opposite is true. I am so competitive that not getting something or having my access controlled infuriates me. I just put these hobbies on cruise control and enjoy solid mid tier offerings. Anyone else have a hobby that the purist have taken enjoyment from?
RustyIron

Re: More annoying search, bourbon or sprint knives?

Post by RustyIron »

twinboysdad wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:09 am
not getting something or having my access controlled infuriates me.
All it takes is money.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

RustyIron wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:12 pm
twinboysdad wrote:
All it takes is money.
If you're one of those guys who is in it for the 'thrill of the chase' then spending the extra money and not 'winning the hunt' probably isn't nearly as satisfying.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

RustyIron wrote:
twinboysdad wrote:
All it takes is money.
In the case of the tier 1 bourbon at AL ABC stores it takes time as well, to camp out. Unless you pay someone to camp out for you I guess?
vivi

Post by vivi »

twinboysdad wrote:
The whole thing has me appreciating FRN Delica/Dfly and Wild Turkey 101 so much more.
There isn't anything in life an FRN Pacific Salt and a bottle of 101 can't handle :cheap-sunglasses
:unicorn
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

vivi wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:40 pm
twinboysdad wrote:
The whole thing has me appreciating FRN Delica/Dfly and Wild Turkey 101 so much more.
There isn't anything in life an FRN Pacific Salt and a bottle of 101 can't handle :cheap-sunglasses
I think I agree with this completely.
benben

Post by benben »

vivi wrote:
twinboysdad wrote:
Keeper quote here on the ole Spyderco forum! ;)
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Enjoying pour 2 off of some 101 now, last game of 8th grade football and Monday starts wrestling season for my little mauler and track for my VO2 monster, Wharncliffe Dragonfly in sap pocket. Life is alright right about now.
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

In Georgia the liquor stores are able to set the price on bourbon, which makes for some interesting fluctuations. All it takes is some bourbon to win an award an the price will go up. Henry McKenna 10 yr was around $30. Wins the best bourbon under $40 award and now it's close to $50 at my local store. My guy at the local store says he hasn't seen Blantons in over a year. He was selling it around $120, no idea what he'd sell it at now. One that surprised me the most was Elmer T Lee. It was one of my favorite bourbons and I use to get it for around mid $30s. Whatever reason it is now going for $200 & up when I have seen it. It's good, BUT not that good. Thankfully one of my favorite bourbons is still around $40.

Watched the documentary "Neat" and enjoyed it, but at the same time was irritated by it. Some of the young hip adults on there strike me as part of the problem. It's like once the kids that collected Pokemon grew up they switched to collecting bourbon. I belong to a FB Bourbon group and there are people on there with home bars that are better than some bourbon bars I have been to. Rows of bottles, most of them dusty an untouched. I currently have 5 bottles of bourbon/rye/whiskey. 2 are opened. 1 will get opened when I finish 1 of the open ones. 1 is saved for my oldest turning 21 in March. And the other I'm not a fan of, but it was a gift. Keep hoping the bourbon craze will die down and some of these people move on to another spirit - hopefully Gin as I don't like it.

Least my Spyderco knives last longer once I get them :)
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

twinboysdad wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:19 pm
RustyIron wrote:
twinboysdad wrote:
All it takes is money.
In the case of the tier 1 bourbon at AL ABC stores it takes time as well, to camp out. Unless you pay someone to camp out for you I guess?
Ask a friendly manager to get a bottle for you. I don't remember what city you live in, but you could drive to TN and get someone there to get you a bottle, too. Or, you could find ABC stores in the smaller towns or even in the area of town most likely to have a top shelf bourbon.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Halfneck wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:10 pm
In Georgia the liquor stores are able to set the price on bourbon, which makes for some interesting fluctuations. All it takes is some bourbon to win an award an the price will go up. Henry McKenna 10 yr was around $30. Wins the best bourbon under $40 award and now it's close to $50 at my local store. My guy at the local store says he hasn't seen Blantons in over a year. He was selling it around $120, no idea what he'd sell it at now. One that surprised me the most was Elmer T Lee. It was one of my favorite bourbons and I use to get it for around mid $30s. Whatever reason it is now going for $200 & up when I have seen it. It's good, BUT not that good. Thankfully one of my favorite bourbons is still around $40.

Watched the documentary "Neat" and enjoyed it, but at the same time was irritated by it. Some of the young hip adults on there strike me as part of the problem. It's like once the kids that collected Pokemon grew up they switched to collecting bourbon. I belong to a FB Bourbon group and there are people on there with home bars that are better than some bourbon bars I have been to. Rows of bottles, most of them dusty an untouched. I currently have 5 bottles of bourbon/rye/whiskey. 2 are opened. 1 will get opened when I finish 1 of the open ones. 1 is saved for my oldest turning 21 in March. And the other I'm not a fan of, but it was a gift. Keep hoping the bourbon craze will die down and some of these people move on to another spirit - hopefully Gin as I don't like it.

Least my Spyderco knives last longer once I get them :)
My dad would drive to ATL Total Wine somewhere from AL to buy cases of Macallen 12, simply based on price and availability. AL law requires any non ABC store to buy at the price set by ABC and cannot sell lower than ABC. Which is jacked up
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:00 pm
twinboysdad wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:19 pm
RustyIron wrote:
twinboysdad wrote:
All it takes is money.
Ask a friendly manager to get a bottle for you. I don't remember what city you live in, but you could drive to TN and get someone there to get you a bottle, too. Or, you could find ABC stores in the smaller towns or even in the area of town most likely to have a top shelf bourbon.
So the truly exclusive bottles are released in lottery placement in line twice a year. Here in Birmingham only the Hoover and Mountain Brook stores received any allotment and you have to choose the store you are signing up for with a place in line. I chose Hoover based on it being a larger store and wasn’t selected for a place in line. The folks lucky enough to get a place in line are limited to one bottle from group A (your Pappy Van Winkle type bottles), 2 from group B (Single barrel Blantons type) and 3 from group C which is limited supply but not as exclusive (Old Grandad 114). My “connection” at the Vestavia ABC told me if you aren’t in the first 15 spots in line, you ain’t getting the tier 1 bottles. See why I say this is infuriating? It is probably worth driving to TN or GA
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

As they say, some people know the price of everything, but the value of nothing.

The best whisky to me always seemed to be the one shared with friends.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:45 am
As they say, some people know the price of everything, but the value of nothing.

The best whisky to me always seemed to be the one shared with friends.
This is a fine sentiment sir
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

vivi wrote:
twinboysdad wrote:
Haha this is perfect.