Sharpening Media: Survival Style

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
JD Spydo

Sharpening Media: Survival Style

Post by JD Spydo »

It's been a couple of years since I seen a superb article in OFF GRID magazine that was written by Spyderco's great staff member "Michael Janich". The content of that article has really stuck with me the past two years or so since I read it. He listed a wide array of items you can use that are found around the home or farm to keep your blade sharp in a potentially desperate situation. But I got a feeling that it doesn't stop with his great suggestions. Mr. Janich showed items like the edge of auto window glass, the bottoms of coffee cups and ceramic jugs and a few other common items found around the home or farm. He also went into a litany of the things you can find in nature to assure you keep your blade sharp when your conventional sharpening gear isn't handy at the time.

If a guy just knew of all the rocks & minerals in the locale he lives at it would also be somewhat of a help when sharpening in a pinch. Because not all rocks would be hard enough on the Moh's Hardness Scale to be of any good and not all rocks have the properties necessary for abrasive uses. With the constant threat of weather related disasters, potential EMP attacks or God Forbid a nuclear war or societal breakdown we had better be knowledgeable about what items that might be around us that can be used to sharpen your blade when you might need it the most.

I would like to take a hard look at any possible sharpening devices or common materials that we may not be aware of that might have abrasive properties. Most of the rock in my area ( Central Missouri) is common limestone and Bethany Falls limestone and I'm doubtful if either one of them would touch any of these newer supersteels. But there are items that can be of help that might surprise the average person. OK let's talk about survival sharpening and what devices or materials that can potentially be used when your favorite sharpening gear might not be handy..
FK

Re: Sharpening Media: Survival Style

Post by FK »

These survival articles have been published since forever,,,,,, they were aimed at plain carbon steel blades with moderate hardness. Today's steels would struggle to sharpen up with old time ideas. One should consider carry of softer steel blades for survival situations.

I keep a set of the DMT thin credit card plates in my bug out bag for field sharpening.

https://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/DMT- ... IYQAvD_BwE

Regards,
FK
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Sandpaper...

LASERS!
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

I have ceramics in my bugout bag.

And a Randall Model #14 and an SAK for knives.
kiwisailor

Post by kiwisailor »

Well, those two pretty much cover all your bases.
Nice choices, I have to admit, my BOB is outfitted the same with addition of a serrated Endura.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

kiwisailor wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:43 pm
Well, those two pretty much cover all your bases.
Nice choices, I have to admit, my BOB is outfitted the same with addition of a serrated Endura.

Figure they would cover 99.9% of what I would need knives for, the SAK is an added plus with the extra tools also.

For heavier chopping and digging I have an E-Tool in the BOB also.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

FK wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:35 am
These survival articles have been published since forever,,,,,, they were aimed at plain carbon steel blades with moderate hardness. Today's steels would struggle to sharpen up with old time ideas. One should consider carry of softer steel blades for survival situations.

I keep a set of the DMT thin credit card plates in my bug out bag for field sharpening.

Regards,
FK
That's a great point you bring up "FK". And one that deserves deep consideration. Because unless you have sharpening gear that can maintain these newer supersteel blades then maybe a guy should keep some older carbon steel blades on hand because of easier maintenance and more efficient survival uses. Because if we do find ourselves in the midst of an economic or societal breakdown then our fascination of space aged steels will be rather meaningless.

But on the other hand with "Knowledge" being a form of "Power" it doesn't hurt to know what items can be used for any type of sharpening in a pinch. As far as survival tools go>>the "KNIFE" is one of your more important tools to keep on hand. And it's like my late favorite uncle used to always tell me>> a dull knife is one of the most useless tools there is.

In a serious survival scenario a guy needs a game plan on what you need to have on hand to maintain a blade that might make the difference between hunger and being well fed>> or life & death for that matter. A sharp blade during hard times could make a lot of difference in the quality of your life in a dire situation. It only makes good sense to know how to keep a sharp blade on hand and what tools and/or materials can make that possible.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

VooDooChild wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:36 am
Sandpaper...

LASERS!
Thank you for bringing that up "VooDooChild". I've got two videos on sandpaper sharpening and it's been a while since I've viewed either one of them. But keeping sandpaper and other common abrasives on hand is a great idea. Because sandpaper can be utilized for a lot of different jobs. Especially in a time when access to many modern tools becomes highly restricted.

I did this thread because I do seriously believe that a brutal societal or economic breakdown could possibly be on the horizon in the near future. And I hope I'm completely wrong. It's not something I ever want to live through. But I come from a family that many of my Aunts, Uncles, Parents and Grandparents who all told me of the horrors of the Great Depression.

And what we could be potentially facing could be just as bad if not worse I'm sure. And being prepared will be of vital importance. And a sharp knife is just one of several necessary tools to keep on hand. And a knife is a tool that has to be maintained to be of any use to a person. Yeah having plenty of good abrasive paper on hand could be a major "Ace In The Hole". Having good tools and medical supplies on hand during a hard time could be the difference between life and death.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I always get a chuckle out of "in my bugout bag". As if a survival situation is going to call ahead and schedule an appointment, or a disaster will wait for you to run home and get your stuff. Maybe it's just from half a century in tornado alley, but I consider "survival gear" to be what you have on you RIGHT NOW, because that's what you know you'll have available when the fecal matter impacts the rotating blades. Supersteel knife, meet DMT Diafolds. They ride together in my back pocket every day. Why improvise when it's that easy to have proper gear on hand?
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I keep a dmt pocket stone in its leather slip in my pocket.
Been having it for over 10 years and it still works.

https://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/DMT- ... 03C24.aspx
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

yablanowitz wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:38 am
I always get a chuckle out of "in my bugout bag". As if a survival situation is going to call ahead and schedule an appointment, or a disaster will wait for you to run home and get your stuff. Maybe it's just from half a century in tornado alley, but I consider "survival gear" to be what you have on you RIGHT NOW, because that's what you know you'll have available when the fecal matter impacts the rotating blades. Supersteel knife, meet DMT Diafolds. They ride together in my back pocket every day. Why improvise when it's that easy to have proper gear on hand?

It's not going to happen that fast normally that one won't have some sort of notice to get out.

Some of us work from home so it only takes about 60 secs to grab it and throw it in a car etc. and leave. ;)

And even if I didn't I would have it in the car so. ;)
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

BoB is in common usage, but not everyone uses the phrase in the same manner these days. Calling something a"Bug out Bag" or "Bail out Bag" has a certain snappiness, where as "emergency kit" does not. All my BoBs are just EKs. One in each vehicle, 2 at home. Just a little insurance in this time of more powerful storms, etc.

I agree that if you are using the term Bug out Bag in the way it was originally intended, then not having it with you at all times is a failure.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Ankerson wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:58 am
yablanowitz wrote:

It's not going to happen that fast normally that one won't have some sort of notice to get out.

Some of us work from home so it only takes about 60 secs to grab it and throw it in a car etc. and leave. ;)

And even if I didn't I would have it in the car so. ;)
You apparently don't live in tornado alley. We consider a whole minute's warning miraculous. Tornados destroy cars just as quickly as houses, so a kit in your car might just as well be on the moon.
FK

Post by FK »

yablanowitz wrote:
Completely agree,,,, my "bugout bag" is in my SUV permanently, not at home in a closet.

Regards,
FK
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

VashHash wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:50 am
I keep a dmt pocket stone in its leather slip in my pocket.
Been having it for over 10 years and it still works.

https://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/DMT- ... 03C24.aspx
Second to Spyderco's small sharpening tools I like both DMT and Fallkniven small sharpening tools. Small sharpening stones can be a lifesaver in certain situations. Spyderco's Doublestuff stones are the best but DMT and Fallkniven both also have some nice tools as well.

I found my old set of Spyderco 702 Profiles a couple of days ago. If you all remember they are the shorter version of the 701 Profiles. Extremely handy for a lot of sharpening jobs. I do hope at some point that Spyderco will see fit to bring back both the 701 and 702 Profiles.
jkurtz7

Post by jkurtz7 »

This is one reason why I don’t buy super steels. I want ease of sharpening on non-diamond media in my daily life, and in an emergency I want to be able to sharpen my knives on a car window, or even a river stone if need be.
Dragonfly 2 Wharncliffe - Dragonfly 2 - Dragonfly 2 Damascus - Urban Sprint AEB-L - Pacific Salt - Endura 4 - Ulize - Para 3 LW - Dragonfly 2 Salt
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I have so many different sharpeners from 40 years of knife use and accumulating that being without one is not something I can picture. Diafolds and diamond cards are so easy to carry and keep why would I think about using a mug or river rock? Unless I was forced into a place like jail or prison where I had everything taken from me there really isn't much chance of my being without . IMO, bug out bags are just a generic term nowadays. My stuff is a getting home bag. If I was forced to leave because of a Chernobyl like event I'd get by but it would really bother me to leave my stuff. :( I could get by on very little and have in the past but it sure wouldn't be my first choice.