"Fast lane obsessed" people

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Evil D

Re: "Fast lane obsessed" people

Post by Evil D »

Since I have to do the speed limit I do my best to stay in the slow lane unless I know I have to take a left side exit or something, but even in the slow lane I get "oblivious tailgaters" who will follow me for miles right on my bumper, often when the lane next to us is totally empty. I'll watch them and it's like they have that ah-ha moment when they realize "wtf am I doing following this slow moving truck" and they zip up around me and almost every time there's a phone in their hand. This one happens several times a day.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
James Y

Post by James Y »

I once saw a guy pass me on the freeway while looking at his rear view mirror and brushing his teeth(!). He was wearing an office shirt and had toothpaste froth all over his mouth. Yuck. Whatever made him think combining driving and brushing his teeth was a clever idea?

Jim
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

As I get older I learn things. I have learned over the years that we all think it is the "other guy" who is the problem, while completely ignoring our own contributions to the situation. I'm pretty sure I have been the "other guy" more than once, despite being very good on focussing on just driving while driving.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

“Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?”

― George Carlin
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JRinFL wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:31 pm
As I get older I learn things. I have learned over the years that we all think it is the "other guy" who is the problem, while completely ignoring our own contributions to the situation. I'm pretty sure I have been the "other guy" more than once, despite being very good on focussing on just driving while driving.

I 100% admit I used to text and drive like crazy, and I kinda feel a little like a hypocrite for saying any of this but getting a driving oriented job was an eye opener because I see so much crazy erratic driving and they almost always have a phone in their hands, and I realized that was lost likely me when I did it.
~David
James Y

Post by James Y »

Well, I’m pretty sure I’ve been “that guy,” a few times in my life, but I always do my best not to be. At least I care. I do my best to stay in the appropriate lane(s) to whatever my speed is. I lot of people (but not most) don’t seem to care at all.

Jim
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I'm with you on the rant David! The last minute merge thing kills always gets my blood pressure up. I'll see someone come up in the mirror and they know full well they need to get in and they pass up the opportunity to get in behind me because they just have to get one more car ahead.
Airlsee wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:54 pm
It's really bad here in DFW. I just try to stay off major highways during busy morning/afternoons and generally stay in a relatively small radius on a daily basis. Liking maps and being comfortable taking side streets and backways is very handy. People are inconsiderate when they get into their metal vroom-vroom boxes, and what little common sense there is gets sucked right out the window.
Traffic here is pretty nutty and I've seen some crazy things! The Chicago area (where I'm from) is bad too but DFW has all these elevated overpasses that I've never experienced before. You really need to see it to believe it lol. Fortunately my drive to work is basically 635 east for about 10 miles and then back home in the afternoon. I typically run the left lane because that's moving the fastest but I also move over to the center lane to let people by if necessary.

It was really weird when Covid first hit and there was nobody on the roads. Snowmageddon this past February was strange too. After a couple days of being home I decided to drive into work to check on our building. Easy drive for me (I've driven in snow/ice for years) but there were people that definitely shouldn't have been out. It was interesting to say the least
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:45 pm
I'm a country girl that has to drive to dallas and back everyday... "big city turn me loose and set me free"
Haha!
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:45 pm
I'm a country girl that has to drive to dallas and back everyday... "big city turn me loose and set me free"
Oh Yeah!! Dallas Texas and their vast freeway system. Been there, Done that a few times!! For God Sakes Spydergirl stay the **** off of Central Expressway!!!

Central Expressway in Dallas is as close to pure insanity as anything I've ever seen on a highway system. The LBJ freeway wasn't all that bad but Central Expressway is occupied by demon possessed lunatics IMO> Texas does have well maintained highways though I will admit that.
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:18 pm
It was really weird when Covid first hit and there was nobody on the roads. Snowmageddon this past February was strange too.

Yeah COVID was eerie for sure, because you had huge highways that were practically empty during the middle of the day. Real Pyongyang vibes...LOL!

The snowstorms seem to shut down the area for a week, about once a decade now. Since Metroplex drivers don't enjoy the concept of coasting or driving cautiously it can be a risky time to be out, especially on highways.
So it goes.
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

In our state usually the left lane is the smoothest, no pot holes, etc.
Josh
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

murphjd25 wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:52 pm
In our state usually the left lane is the smoothest, no pot holes, etc.
Is there a left lane restriction for semis? That usually means a less damaged left lane compared to the other one or two lanes.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Oh yeah 2020 was by far the best driving year probably of my entire life. Both to and from work commute was fantastic, people who did come out and drive seemed a lot more chill too.
~David
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

The fast lane is not a fast lane, it's a passing lane. It should be used for passing, not traveling. Of course, everything changes in heavy traffic. The time saved from each lane is minimal, so there is usually no point in being in the passing lane for that.

Situations with left side off ramps like the one mentioned in the original post are understandable but that's not the only time people sit in the passing lane driving the speed limit. Traveling at the speed limit in the passing lane is effectively not allowing drivers behind you to use the lane properly and forcing them to pass them improperly and unsafely in a lane not designated for passing. That's not to say that everyone forcing themselves into the passing lane is just "trying to use the lane properly." Some people just take advantage of it as "fast lane" and consider it the American Autobahn lane.

Also, insinuating that everyone who drives over the speed limit is just a crazy person with no regard for others is a bit dramatic considering you pretty much have to exceed the speed limit to use the passing lane properly.

David, I would even venture to say that when you're not in your speed monitored work truck, you might drive like you're not in a speed monitored work truck.

Merging is a very situational thing but I agree, most people suck at it. For a few reasons too but I've found selfishness to be the biggest reason why. From both ends as well, the person already in the lane and the person merging into the lane. (Stupidity has to be a close second because I don't know how else to explain some of the things people do in their cars)

This - "Why can't you let someone in? Is that one extra car in front of you really going to make a difference?"
Followed by this - "Merging means YOU yield." Seems like a confusing situation to be in. If one extra car in front of you isn't going to make a difference, shouldn't you just let them in? Or should you speed up a little because you were there first and they should be the one yielding to you?

In light traffic, there is no need for zipper merging, so merging early makes sense and should be effortless for both lanes.

In heavy traffic, late merging or zipper merging is the most efficient method and really should be the only acceptable way to merge.

It requires cooperation from both lanes though and unfortunately, the person already in their lane usually gets angry at the driver zipper merging and they close the gap with the car in front of them so as to not let the merging driver actually merge, slowing down both lanes further. (i.e. Causing more traffic!)

Merging drivers should not be stopping early at some random point in their lane to sit there until they have space to merge into heavy traffic. Doing that is forcing the entire lane behind you and the lane you're merging into to stop unnecessarily. (i.e. Causing more traffic!)

Neither one of those situations is hypothetical either. I've witnessed and experienced both on more occasions than I can count. I've even had a guy swerve halfway into my lane to cut me off because he didn't want anyone merging with traffic in front of him. He even went to the extent of leaning out of his window, while driving, to make few choice gestures towards me... but I'm the one driving like an A-hole because I'm using my lane properly? :eye-roll

The majority of drivers need to learn how to zipper merge and actively practice it while driving. Be the change you want to see.

And as someone who puts thousands of miles on a motorcycle each year, I couldn't agree with the last two points more. People need to use their blinker, get the F off their phone, and pay attention to driving safely.
-Nick :bug-red
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Mushroom wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:08 pm

David, I would even venture to say that when you're not in your speed monitored work truck, you might drive like you're not in a speed monitored work truck.

This - "Why can't you let someone in? Is that one extra car in front of you really going to make a difference?"
Followed by this - "Merging means YOU yield." Seems like a confusing situation to be in. If one extra car in front of you isn't going to make a difference, shouldn't you just let them in? Or should you speed up a little because you were there first and they should be the one yielding to you?

In light traffic, there is no need for zipper merging, so merging early makes sense and should be effortless for both lanes.

I'm a pretty mellow driver in general. I'm more loose with my speed in my vehicle but I'll get there when I get there. I still deal with the same nonsense in my truck as I do my work truck.

The merge thing is talking about two very different scenarios. Since I'm cruising in the slow lane, I'm constantly dealing with people who think it's ok to merge into my lane going 10mph slower than the speed limit, and they expect me to get over or slow down so they can meander their way in, and then they floor it and zip off. In that situation where there's plenty of room in front and behind me, I have zero courtesy and they need to get their act together and learn to merge. These people are also usually on their phones not paying attention.

In bumper to bumper traffic it's a different situation completely as there's no room in front or behind me, so now the person in the lane has to slow down and let someone in or not. In this situation the person merging can't blend in by their own actions, no matter if they go to the front of the line or not.

As for zipper merging, the whole entire thing (traffic altogether) actually comes down to tailgating. I don't remember who but there was a study done about traffic that showed that tailgating is the root cause, because everyone is constantly hitting their brakes. The study said if everyone would travel with an "air cushion" gap between vehicles to allow for changes in speed and to allow non stop zipper merging, there would be a slow down but never a complete stop and traffic would continue moving instead of standing still. Even the teeth of a zipper do this...you never see zipper teeth bunched up end to end.
~David
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Mushroom wrote:
The fast lane is not a fast lane, it's a passing lane. It should be used for passing, not traveling. Of course, everything changes in heavy traffic. The time saved from each lane is minimal, so there is usually no point in being in the passing lane for that.

Situations with left side off ramps like the one mentioned in the original post are understandable but that's not the only time people sit in the passing lane driving the speed limit. Traveling at the speed limit in the passing lane is effectively not allowing drivers behind you to use the lane properly and forcing them to pass them improperly and unsafely in a lane not designated for passing. That's not to say that everyone forcing themselves into the passing lane is just "trying to use the lane properly." Some people just take advantage of it as "fast lane" and consider it the American Autobahn lane.

Also, insinuating that everyone who drives over the speed limit is just a crazy person with no regard for others is a bit dramatic considering you pretty much have to exceed the speed limit to use the passing lane properly.

Merging is a very situational thing but I agree, most people suck at it. For a few reasons too but I've found selfishness to be the biggest reason why. From both ends as well, the person already in the lane and the person merging into the lane. (Stupidity has to be a close second because I don't know how else to explain some of the things people do in their cars)

In heavy traffic, late merging or zipper merging is the most efficient method and really should be the only acceptable way to merge.

It requires cooperation from both lanes though and unfortunately, the person already in their lane usually gets angry at the driver zipper merging and they close the gap with the car in front of them so as to not let the merging driver actually merge, slowing down both lanes further. (i.e. Causing more traffic!)

Merging drivers should not be stopping early at some random point in their lane to sit there until they have space to merge into heavy traffic. Doing that is forcing the entire lane behind you and the lane you're merging into to stop unnecessarily. (i.e. Causing more traffic!)

Neither one of those situations is hypothetical either. I've witnessed and experienced both on more occasions than I can count. I've even had a guy swerve halfway into my lane to cut me off because he didn't want anyone merging with traffic in front of him. He even went to the extent of leaning out of his window, while driving, to make few choice gestures towards me... but I'm the one driving like an A-hole because I'm using my lane properly? :eye-roll

The majority of drivers need to learn how to zipper merge and actively practice it while driving. Be the change you want to see.

And as someone who puts thousands of miles on a motorcycle each year, I couldn't agree with the last two points more. People need to use their blinker, get the F off their phone, and pay attention to driving safely.
I'm genuinely curious, so please try not to take this the wrong way, but are you even marginally aware that it is illegal to exceed the speed limit when passing another vehicle?
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Evil D wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:57 pm
Mushroom wrote:

I'm a pretty mellow driver in general. I'm more loose with my speed in my vehicle but I'll get there when I get there. I still deal with the same nonsense in my truck as I do my work truck.

The merge thing is talking about two very different scenarios. Since I'm cruising in the slow lane, I'm constantly dealing with people who think it's ok to merge into my lane going 10mph slower than the speed limit, and they expect me to get over or slow down so they can meander their way in, and then they floor it and zip off. In that situation where there's plenty of room in front and behind me, I have zero courtesy and they need to get their act together and learn to merge. These people are also usually on their phones not paying attention.

In bumper to bumper traffic it's a different situation completely as there's no room in front or behind me, so now the person in the lane has to slow down and let someone in or not. In this situation the person merging can't blend in by their own actions, no matter if they go to the front of the line or not.

As for zipper merging, the whole entire thing (traffic altogether) actually comes down to tailgating. I don't remember who but there was a study done about traffic that showed that tailgating is the root cause, because everyone is constantly hitting their brakes. The study said if everyone would travel with an "air cushion" gap between vehicles to allow for changes in speed and to allow non stop zipper merging, there would be a slow down but never a complete stop and traffic would continue moving instead of standing still. Even the teeth of a zipper do this...you never see zipper teeth bunched up end to end.
Well, I seem to agree with everything. Drivers being distracted by their phone is definitely one of the biggest issues present on the road these days. I can understand how your situation would quickly become infuriating.

If I recall correctly, they tested a small handful of traffic myths on the TV show MythBusters, which could be where that traffic study came from. (Just a guess.) I wholly agree though, tailgating is a huge cause of traffic. Which actually reminds me of another pet peeve I have with some drivers. Regardless of the lane, some people refuse to drive behind someone giving buffer space to the car in front of them. They will go crazy trying to pass just to end up tailgating the next car ahead.

yablanowitz wrote:
Mushroom wrote:

I'm genuinely curious, so please try not to take this the wrong way, but are you even marginally aware that it is illegal to exceed the speed limit when passing another vehicle?
LOL ;) Just when passing another vehicle or is it legal when I'm not passing anyone?

Even though it is technically illegal, it is often tolerated when done within reason. There is a difference between passing someone at 100 mph in a 60 mph zone and passing someone at 63 mph in a 60 mph zone. By the letter of the law, it is illegal speeding either way but one speed is much more reasonable than the other.
-Nick :bug-red
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

It may be tolerated, but it is illegal, not just technically. But of course, we're Americans, so laws only apply to other people, not us.
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Seattle has the worst traffic ever, that’s why I got a Hemi, lol.
Josh
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

In Birmingham, AL on I-65 and I-59 the speed limit is 140mph. I am certain it must be because even the cops are doing over 100mph. Cars drafting each other like on NASCAR is normal. I've seen cars get air borne and flip over. Yikes!
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

That's the funny thing about the passing lane, you're still only supposed to be doing the speed LIMIT in the passing lane too, it's supposed to be for when the guy in the other lane is going under that limit. If the guy in front of you is going exactly the speed limit and you just don't wanna be behind him, Tuff luck (see what I did there lol). But yeah, the majority of people don't even see it as the passing lane, it's the "speed minimum" lane. That George Carlin quote is so funny because even within the "speeders" there are different levels, it's almost like no matter how fast you go there is always someone wanting to go even faster.

Anyway most of this discussion kinda went off the rails. My main point was on how I see people push their way into that lane even when it's not even moving faster than the rest of traffic. It's just weird. Humans really do devolve into flock mentality in traffic.
~David