Taylor Guitars

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Taylor Guitars

Post by Doc Dan »

Does anyone else, here, play a Taylor Guitar?

I just bought a GS Mini Mahogany. I can't wait for it to arrive. This is my second Taylor. I stupidly sold the other one. The playability is second to none. They are as easy to play as a good electric.

That mahogany really gives it a nice warm tone and is not muddy like some guitars can be, nor is it too bright and shrill.

A friend of mine has an 814 or 816, I can't remember which, but that guitar costs as much as a car! He is a rich dentist so he can afford it.

I am no expert, but I owned some guitars from other makers over the years, and played more. I have never found anything approaching the feel of a Taylor.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
kennethsime

Re: Taylor Guitars

Post by kennethsime »

Dan, I have no doubt that you will absolutely love that guitar - your excitement is well-deserved.

I've owned a Taylor Big Baby, which is one of their most affordable models, for about 15 years. I originally got it as a nicer "campfire" guitar, as the slightly smaller 15/16ths size made it a bit more portable, but I've never taken it camping because it's just too nice. I had the advantage of being able to play a few different examples between different stores when I bought it, and bought the one I liked the sound of the best. I have an all-solid-wood Martin which cost me about twice the price, but I play the Taylor about 9 times out of 10 because it's just so darn pleasant.

My girlfriend has been playing as long as I have, but has never had a "nice" guitar of her very own. We went to guitar center before the pandemic started, and she played a new Big Baby next to a new GS Mini - she liked both the sound and the feel of the GS Mini better. I'd like to get her one, probably the Mahogany, for her next birthday if I can.

I appreciate the heritage and the deep bass tone of Martin guitars, but man there is nothing like the playability of a Taylor. They really make some fantastic instruments.

BTW Doc, I know you have an appreciation for Buck knives - did you know that Buck is currently sourcing their Ebony for the Buck 110s from Taylor?
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

kennethsime wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:36 pm
Dan, I have no doubt that you will absolutely love that guitar - your excitement is well-deserved.

I've owned a Taylor Big Baby, which is one of their most affordable models, for about 15 years. I originally got it as a nicer "campfire" guitar, as the slightly smaller 15/16ths size made it a bit more portable, but I've never taken it camping because it's just too nice. I had the advantage of being able to play a few different examples between different stores when I bought it, and bought the one I liked the sound of the best. I have an all-solid-wood Martin which cost me about twice the price, but I play the Taylor about 9 times out of 10 because it's just so darn pleasant.

The Big Baby is the one I sold and regretted parting with. It had such a fantastic sound that people assumed it was far more expensive. It is unusual in that the neck is like an electric guitar. There is no heel. Wonderful guitar and easy to play. I have started to play the guitar, stopped, and started again, based on what was going on in my life. I've had a Sigma, Alvarez, and Taylors. I've played Martins and Gibsons. There is no comparison to the playability and the sound of a good Taylor, as far as I am concerned. [/color]

My girlfriend has been playing as long as I have, but has never had a "nice" guitar of her very own. We went to guitar center before the pandemic started, and she played a new Big Baby next to a new GS Mini - she liked both the sound and the feel of the GS Mini better. I'd like to get her one, probably the Mahogany, for her next birthday if I can.

I appreciate the heritage and the deep bass tone of Martin guitars, but man there is nothing like the playability of a Taylor. They really make some fantastic instruments.

Taylors always sound clean. Martins have a good base, but the sound is always muddy to my ears.

BTW Doc, I know you have an appreciation for Buck knives - did you know that Buck is currently sourcing their Ebony for the Buck 110s from Taylor?

Yes, I read that, somewhere. Very good idea.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

I've had my Martin for 16 years now and would put it up against any guitar in the Acoustic Room...that's how I picked it out when I was 18, it was the first thing I ever financed, LOL!!!

It still amazes me every time I put new strings on it.

That being said, I do love my Baby Taylor and reach for it constantly. Taylor makes great products period, and when I bought my Martin 16 years ago I went into the store thinking I was going to buy a Taylor 514CE, but was surprised when I came out with the Martin instead.

I agree about the full body Martin's, but in the 000 auditorium size they sound fantastic!

So it goes.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Yeah, I was speaking of the larger ones, and also they have come out with a guitar to compete with the GS Mini, but I didn't think the sound was that clear. However, everybody's ears are different (mine are not good anyway) so we hear things differently from one another. Muddy and unclear to me (like a woman talking) is clear as a bell to someone else. Clear to me might sound off to someone else.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Airlsee wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:55 pm
I've had my Martin for 16 years now and would put it up against any guitar in the Acoustic Room...that's how I picked it out when I was 18, it was the first thing I ever financed, LOL!!!

It still amazes me every time I put new strings on it.

That being said, I do love my Baby Taylor and reach for it constantly. Taylor makes great products period, and when I bought my Martin 16 years ago I went into the store thinking I was going to buy a Taylor 514CE, but was surprised when I came out with the Martin instead.

I agree about the full body Martin's, but in the 000 auditorium size they sound fantastic!

BTW, that Martin is a beautiful guitar. Drooling now.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
brj

Post by brj »

Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:49 am
This is the guitar that I bought. https://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/a ... i-mahogany
Congrats, Doc

I'm looking at the Taylor GS Mini-e Koa, might pull the trigger any moment now
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

That Koa is really something to look at. It sounds good, too. Let us know if you get it.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:21 pm
BTW, that Martin is a beautiful guitar. Drooling now.

Thank you! I hope that new GS Mini brings lots of joy!
So it goes.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

brj wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:45 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:49 am
This is the guitar that I bought. https://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/a ... i-mahogany
Congrats, Doc

I'm looking at the Taylor GS Mini-e Koa, might pull the trigger any moment now
Gorgeous guitar. You won't regret it.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

free image upload

DHL brought it today! It sounds fantastic already and will get better as it opens up over time with playing. I think it looks really good. Any thoughts?

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

They definitely used some beautiful wood.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

VashHash wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:04 am
They definitely used some beautiful wood.
For a fact. From the fretboard down, the wood had some nice figure in it. I got lucky...or blessed I should say.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050