Happy Birthday "SpyderNut"

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
JD Spydo

Happy Birthday "SpyderNut"

Post by JD Spydo »

To A Brother Who consistently puts forth good information>> I'm speaking of Brother SPYDERNUT>> well today is his Birthday and I want to wish him a very Happy Birthday today. Let's all wish SpyderNut a very Happy Birthday!
The Meat man

Re: Happy Birthday "SpyderNut"

Post by The Meat man »

Happy birthday!
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Happy B-day!
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Happy Birthday! Hopefully enjoying the outdoors like some of those photos you had been posting!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Happy Birthday!
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Filoso-

Post by Filoso- »

Happy birthday SpyderNut!
archangel

Post by archangel »

Happy Birthday indeed!! :)
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Happy Birthday SpyderNut! :party-face
•• Beau
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Many thanks for the birthday wishes, guys! I really appreciate it. :smlling-eyes Couldn’t have asked for a nicer day. My wife and I took a six mile hike around the lake and then took boat ride with our dogs.

My wife surprised me with a couple of new knives. (She knew I had been looking at some of the older Spydercos online recently and wanted to surprise me with one). She chose an original NIB Yojimbo! A knife I’d been wanting for many years! Really pumped about this one. I’ll try to take better pics soon, but for now here she is:

:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

What an awesome birthday!!! Happy belated!
So it goes.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Happy belated birthday!!

Jim
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Thank you, AirIsee and James! 😄

The second knife received from my wife was the Leatherman Free T2. (This one I did pick out because I was intrigued with the locking mechanism and have always been a fan of Leatherman tools). It’s a nifty little package, with a total of 8 tools: Main blade, awl, x-small screwdriver, package opener, medium screwdriver, bottle opener, Philips screwdriver, and mini pry bar. 👍

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
AlexRus

Post by AlexRus »

Belated Happy Birthday SpyderNut!
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

AlexRus wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:23 pm
Belated Happy Birthday SpyderNut!
Thank you, Alex!

James Y

Post by James Y »

SpyderNut wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:41 am

The second knife received from my wife was the Leatherman Free T2. (This one I did pick out because I was intrigued with the locking mechanism and have always been a fan of Leatherman tools). It’s a nifty little package, with a total of 8 tools: Main blade, awl, x-small screwdriver, package opener, medium screwdriver, bottle opener, Philips screwdriver, and mini pry bar. 👍

Michael:

Congrats on the new knives!

That’s an interesting Leatherman there. I’ve never seen one of those before. It looks cool, like a Leatherman industrial version of a Swiss Army knife. How does it carry in a pocket? Similar to a 2 or 3-layer Swiss Army knife, or heavier?

Jim
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

James Y wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:30 am
SpyderNut wrote:

Michael:

That’s an interesting Leatherman there. I’ve never seen one of those before. It looks cool, like a Leatherman industrial version of a Swiss Army knife. How does it carry in a pocket? Similar to a 2 or 3-layer Swiss Army knife, or heavier?

Jim
Thanks, James! It’s an interesting knife/tool to be sure. I’d had my eye on one for a while, but finally decided to pick one up over the holiday weekend--or rather, my wife allowed me to get one because it was my birthday, lol. Leatherman makes two variations of this design: the Free T2 and the Free T4. The two models are similar dimensionally, but the T4 has 12 tools to the T2's 8 tools. I went with the T2 simply because I thought it would be thinner and somewhat lighter than the T4. (The T4 was relatively thick and heavy—probably closer to a 4-layer Victorinox). After I got it home, I discovered that the T2 is about the same thickness as the T4, which was a little bit of a bummer. However, the T2 is 1 oz lighter than the T4, so that helps. The T4 includes a deep carry pocket clip, but the T2 does not, which was a bit surprising. (Note: You can buy a deep-carry pocket clip that is made for the T2 on Leatherman.com for an additional $9.00, but I think this should have been included with the knife). I carried the T2 clipless for a few days over the weekend in my lightweight hiking shorts and it wasn’t too bad. It felt a bit more chunky/heavy than my Victorinox Sportsman, but was probably about equal to carrying my Victorinox Compact. Overall, I am happy with the purchase and would buy it again. One last thought: One feature that is especially handy is the magnetic connection or bias when the implements are closing. In other words, as the implements are folding inward toward the handle, they snap into place by the way of a small magnet. (The main blade does not do this, however, because it has its own closing bias with the locking mechanism).

Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Sorry I'm late (again) but wanted to say Happy Birthday Mr. Nut!
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
James Y

Post by James Y »

SpyderNut wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:11 pm
James Y wrote:
SpyderNut wrote:

Michael:

Jim
Thanks, James! It’s an interesting knife/tool to be sure. I’d had my eye on one for a while, but finally decided to pick one up over the holiday weekend--or rather, my wife allowed me to get one because it was my birthday, lol. Leatherman makes two variations of this design: the Free T2 and the Free T4. The two models are similar dimensionally, but the T4 has 12 tools to the T2's 8 tools. I went with the T2 simply because I thought it would be thinner and somewhat lighter than the T4. (The T4 was relatively thick and heavy—probably closer to a 4-layer Victorinox). After I got it home, I discovered that the T2 is about the same thickness as the T4, which was a little bit of a bummer. However, the T2 is 1 oz lighter than the T4, so that helps. The T4 includes a deep carry pocket clip, but the T2 does not, which was a bit surprising. (Note: You can buy a deep-carry pocket clip that is made for the T2 on Leatherman.com for an additional $9.00, but I think this should have been included with the knife). I carried the T2 clipless for a few days over the weekend in my lightweight hiking shorts and it wasn’t too bad. It felt a bit more chunky/heavy than my Victorinox Sportsman, but was probably about equal to carrying my Victorinox Compact. Overall, I am happy with the purchase and would buy it again. One last thought: One feature that is especially handy is the magnetic connection or bias when the implements are closing. In other words, as the implements are folding inward toward the handle, they snap into place by the way of a small magnet. (The main blade does not do this, however, because it has its own closing bias with the locking mechanism).
Very cool! Thanks for the detailed explanation, Michael!

I'm kind of interested in one, but I agree that the pocket clip should be sold with it.

It's fascinating that they use a magnet for closing bias of the tools. I wonder if the little magnet could ever accidentally (or over time) become demagnetized?

Anyway, sorry for going OT here!

Jim
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:15 pm
Sorry I'm late (again) but wanted to say Happy Birthday Mr. Nut!
Thank you, sir! Couldn’t have asked for a nicer one. 👍

SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

James Y wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:02 am
SpyderNut wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:11 pm
James Y wrote:
SpyderNut wrote:

Michael:

Jim
Very cool! Thanks for the detailed explanation, Michael!

I'm kind of interested in one, but I agree that the pocket clip should be sold with it.

It's fascinating that they use a magnet for closing bias of the tools. I wonder if the little magnet could ever accidentally (or over time) become demagnetized?

Anyway, sorry for going OT here!

Jim

No problem at all! I am happy to share the mini-review. Like you said, I also wonder if the magnet will lose its strength over time. It may not be too much of an issue if it did, because the implements nest pretty well into the handle. However, I imagine it could be possible for them to open unintentionally if the magnet fails. One feature I neglected to mention was the way the implements are opened. Instead of prying an implement open with a fingernail like on a Victorinox, one simply pushes down on a small protrusion located near the base of the implement at the pivot. This swings the implement out for use (and the implements do swing out pretty freely after they disengage from the magnet). I forgot to mention that all of the implements lock open, which is a nice feature. The main blade is still a little stiff on opening, which makes it difficult for me to open with one hand. I imagine this will improve after it has been broken in. For under $40 bucks, the T2 is a well-made little tool that should last a long time. (And it’s made in the USA, which is a huge plus to me).