Happy Birthday "SpyderNut"

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
James Y

Re: Happy Birthday "SpyderNut"

Post by James Y »

SpyderNut wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:24 am
James Y wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:02 am
SpyderNut wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:11 pm
James Y wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:30 am

Michael:

Congrats on the new knives!

That’s an interesting Leatherman there. I’ve never seen one of those before. It looks cool, like a Leatherman industrial version of a Swiss Army knife. How does it carry in a pocket? Similar to a 2 or 3-layer Swiss Army knife, or heavier?

Jim
Thanks, James! It’s an interesting knife/tool to be sure. I’d had my eye on one for a while, but finally decided to pick one up over the holiday weekend--or rather, my wife allowed me to get one because it was my birthday, lol. Leatherman makes two variations of this design: the Free T2 and the Free T4. The two models are similar dimensionally, but the T4 has 12 tools to the T2's 8 tools. I went with the T2 simply because I thought it would be thinner and somewhat lighter than the T4. (The T4 was relatively thick and heavy—probably closer to a 4-layer Victorinox). After I got it home, I discovered that the T2 is about the same thickness as the T4, which was a little bit of a bummer. However, the T2 is 1 oz lighter than the T4, so that helps. The T4 includes a deep carry pocket clip, but the T2 does not, which was a bit surprising. (Note: You can buy a deep-carry pocket clip that is made for the T2 on Leatherman.com for an additional $9.00, but I think this should have been included with the knife). I carried the T2 clipless for a few days over the weekend in my lightweight hiking shorts and it wasn’t too bad. It felt a bit more chunky/heavy than my Victorinox Sportsman, but was probably about equal to carrying my Victorinox Compact. Overall, I am happy with the purchase and would buy it again. One last thought: One feature that is especially handy is the magnetic connection or bias when the implements are closing. In other words, as the implements are folding inward toward the handle, they snap into place by the way of a small magnet. (The main blade does not do this, however, because it has its own closing bias with the locking mechanism).
Very cool! Thanks for the detailed explanation, Michael!

I'm kind of interested in one, but I agree that the pocket clip should be sold with it.

It's fascinating that they use a magnet for closing bias of the tools. I wonder if the little magnet could ever accidentally (or over time) become demagnetized?

Anyway, sorry for going OT here!

Jim

No problem at all! I am happy to share the mini-review. Like you said, I also wonder if the magnet will lose its strength over time. It may not be too much of an issue if it did, because the implements nest pretty well into the handle. However, I imagine it could be possible for them to open unintentionally if the magnet fails. One feature I neglected to mention was the way the implements are opened. Instead of prying an implement open with a fingernail like on a Victorinox, one simply pushes down on a small protrusion located near the base of the implement at the pivot. This swings the implement out for use (and the implements do swing out pretty freely after they disengage from the magnet). I forgot to mention that all of the implements lock open, which is a nice feature. The main blade is still a little stiff on opening, which makes it difficult for me to open with one hand. I imagine this will improve after it has been broken in. For under $40 bucks, the T2 is a well-made little tool that should last a long time. (And it’s made in the USA, which is a huge plus to me).

👍🏻

Thanks, Michael!

Jim
Capt'n Boatsalot

Post by Capt'n Boatsalot »

Happy Belated Birthday Spydernut!
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

James Y wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:00 pm

👍🏻

Thanks, Michael!

Jim
You bet! Any time. :respect
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Capt'n Boatsalot wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:15 pm
Thank you, Cap! :smiling-cheeks

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Happy Birthday and congratulations on the Gen 1 Yojimbo.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Capt'n Boatsalot

Post by Capt'n Boatsalot »

SpyderNut wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:14 pm
Capt'n Boatsalot wrote:
You're very welcome! :winking-tongue

I picked up the Rhino at the SFO back in July when I was able to visit for the first time. That really is a great piece, and I am sure that you are very proud of it. The handle shape and blade just fits into my hand so well! I love it!
I was excited about the Rhino prior to the move to Taichung, and even after the move, it still called to me. But I had been unable to grab it until now. I'm stoked that I have been able to get it, and especially from the SFO. Congrats on an amazing design!
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Naperville wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:16 pm
Happy Birthday and congratulations on the Gen 1 Yojimbo.
Thank you, sir!

SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Capt'n Boatsalot wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:39 pm
SpyderNut wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:14 pm
Capt'n Boatsalot wrote:
You're very welcome! :winking-tongue

I picked up the Rhino at the SFO back in July when I was able to visit for the first time. That really is a great piece, and I am sure that you are very proud of it. The handle shape and blade just fits into my hand so well! I love it!
I was excited about the Rhino prior to the move to Taichung, and even after the move, it still called to me. But I had been unable to grab it until now. I'm stoked that I have been able to get it, and especially from the SFO. Congrats on an amazing design!
Thank you so much! I am very happy to hear that. I hope it serves you well, my friend. :smlling-eyes I haven't been to the SFO for a few years, but it is always such a cool experience to buy the knife there.