Shaving Razors recommendations?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Snacktime

Shaving Razors recommendations?

Post by Snacktime »

It's been 3-4 years since I bought razors disposable razors. Looking for some recommendations as I mostly use an electric shaver but once a week have to go razor to stay peach fuzz free. I had a Harry's subscription 3-4 years ago and accumulated my last stock pile.

Is there an actual good razor company selling 3 blade razors? I feel the subscription services have sold out to crap. I bought some new Harry's blades and they didn't last like my old ones.
My socks carry tip up MNOSD Member 0021
DFD04

Re: Shaving Razors recommendations?

Post by DFD04 »

In recent years there has been a great resurgence in wet shaving with a straight or a safety razor…have you ever considered this? With my assortment it brushes, soaps and two razors with different blades (.08-.12 cents per)…shaving has become something I look forward to rather than tolerate.

Bull goose Shaving has pretty everything a guy needs to get started.
RLR

Post by RLR »

Get a Merkur safety razor and a sampler pack of razor blades. Any good online “men’s” shop will have them. Razor should be 40 to 100 bucks (German made) and the blades are dirt cheap. I use Astra blades and pay something like $20 for a hundred pack. Even if you change blade every 3-4 days, that’s a year for $20. Handle will outlast you.

No burn. No ingrown hair. Smooth as you want. And cool…
Ric

Post by Ric »

Muehle R89
Muehle double edge razor blades or feather.

But it takes some time to get the technique right.
Important is also to use not the can foam but real shaving soap. Soak the brush in water first for 15+ minutes
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Easy. I've been shaving since before many here have been born.

You NEED a Feather double edge safety razor. It shows up on Amazon as AS D2. It costs a lot more than you think. But it's WAY better than the cheapies you'll get elsewhere. I use Feather blades. If you're a newbie, use Astra blades. I'd type more, but the iPad is ready to die.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

We have a really cool store here in Kansas City, MO on the Country Club Plaza shopping district ( a very elite shopping district). The store is called "The Art Of Shaving". They have some fabulous looking German made Straight Razors from about $300 to $500. Apparently they must be selling a few of them because they've been there on the Plaza for some time now.

They have all the high quality shaving accessories at that Art Of Shaving store. They also have modern shaving equipment that is really high dollar as well. The last time I visited the store the salesman told me they were moving quite a few Straight Razors because people were getting sick of the super high costs of the disposable units you get at your local drug stores or big box discount stores like Rip-Mart.

You can find some really good quality units for a lot less than what that store is selling them for. They pop up on Ebay and other places quite frequently anymore. I tend to like the German made Straight Razors.

There is one brand that the professional Barbers have sworn by over the years. The German made brand known as "Dubl Duck" is a high quality unit and highly sought after by collectors as well. I've heard that the "Dubl Duck" Wonderedge model is one that many Barbers swear by.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Snacktime wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:54 am
It's been 3-4 years since I bought razors disposable razors. Looking for some recommendations as I mostly use an electric shaver but once a week have to go razor to stay peach fuzz free. I had a Harry's subscription 3-4 years ago and accumulated my last stock pile.

Is there an actual good razor company selling 3 blade razors? I feel the subscription services have sold out to crap. I bought some new Harry's blades and they didn't last like my old ones.
I heard the same thing about those "Harry's" razor blades too. I've never used them but two of my friends used to brag about them. That's how a lot of those companies do>> they start out with super good quality and then they sell out to lower quality producers.

That store I Just recommended i.e. The Art of Shaving does have a website too. And everything I've seen at their store is super high quality. And as we Spyderco knife fans know>> quality tends to pay for itself in the long run. I've found the same to be true with shaving equipment as well. Which is why I'm soon going to go back to Straight Razors and strops instead of the disposable crap. Keep us posted and let us know what you decide on?
Snacktime

Post by Snacktime »

I think I'm going to go pay for a straight razor shave, see how they do it. Meanwhile I am looking at these old school safety razors. Like the idea I can buy blades separate and from different manufacturers.

This opens more questions, going to have to watch a few YouTube's...
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I use an Edwin Jagger DE89. My wife uses a Merkur 180. Also called the 23C. I’ve used both and like both. We use feather blades. They are made in Japan and apparently are the sharpest.

The disposable razor market is a scam. Everybody should still be using safety razors.

The Merkur seems to be machined better. It has knurling for grip. It has a long handle which my wife likes. I did have to replace it once because it broke but it was dropped in the shower quite a few times.

The chrome plating is thicker on the Jagger and it looks better. I like the short handle and balance of the Jagger. It can be slippery but mine isn’t knurled. I think they make a knurled one.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:13 pm

The disposable razor market is a scam. Everybody should still be using safety razors.
You are SO right. Despite using a double-edge razor for years, I still have a bunch of disposable razors from the olden days. Recently I tried one. YIKES! It felt like a rusty steak knife! And the shave was not NEARLY as close.

And to add to the experiment, I tried some of the shaving cream out of a can. YEOW!!! It was like putting toxic chemicals on my face! A puck of shaving soap and badger hair is FAR better.

While I'm intrigued by straight razors, it just seems like too much work to maintain the blade. I'll get 4-6 uses out of a Feather or Astra blade, and then throw it in the trash.
RLR

Post by RLR »

Yeah I just don’t like the feathers. Astras really work for me. I can grow a beard in 1 day. Merkur makes long and short handles too. For a starter, you can’t go wrong. Now maybe I have to get a pack of feathers and give them another go! Just avoid Derby blades. I would not even scrape paint off windows with them.

For soap: Taylor of Old Bond street. And a badger bristle brush.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I'm interested in this stuff, love reading about it, and getting educated, likely because I like sharp things. That said, I use a Braun electric Series 7 every day.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

RLR wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:40 pm
Now maybe I have to get a pack of feathers and give them another go! Just avoid Derby blades. I would not even scrape paint off windows with them.
To be 100% honest, trying to figure which of Feather or Astra is better is like trying to figure out which of Spyderco's knife steels is best.

A year ago I bought a carton of 100 blades that were made in Egypt and were highly rated. I thought it was odd, because I didn't know that Egypt had a big manufacturing industry, and they seem to all have beards. But I was curious.

The morning after receiving the blades, I could hardly wait. But on the first pass, something was wrong. I had to check to make sure the blade was installed properly. I took another pass. NOPE! I finished off with a Feather blade. A few days later, I tried the Egyptian blades again. Same thing! It felt like my Feather blades feel after they're worn out and I've been too lazy/hurried to replace them. It was that bad! The other 98 blades went straight into the trash.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

If you wanna get real fancy, get an a stainless above the tie or something similar

West coast shaving has a huge variety of blades
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I use a Wahl Peanut when I am just trimming, and a Merkur Futur (Model 70) safety razor when I'm really shaving. The Futur costs twice what the entry level razors do, but it's adjustable and has a nice heft to it - helps encourage good shaving habits, I think. I've bought two in the past 10 years, because I managed to lose the first one in a move.

I user Merkur blades as well, which is what I started with. Maybe it's because its what I learned with, maybe it's because they're made better, but I find that they last longer, cut cleaner, and cut me less than any other blade I've used, including Feather. This is a shame, because they're a bit more expensive than most of the other brands (about $1 per blade), but I usually only shave once/week so the blades last at least a month (sometimes 3).

I inherited my great grandfather's Dovo straight razor which is about 100 years old at this point. I tried shaving with it once, but was pretty unsuccessful - perhaps I'll revisit this again one day.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
termite

Post by termite »

For the past 15 years or so: Feather D2, Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood or Golddachs Sandelholz (sandalwood) cream and usually Feather blades.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Well, I took the cheaters’ way and just grew a short beard, lol. I still wet shave my neck every day because I like to keep things tidy. My go-to is my wet/dry Norelco electric razor (I forget which model). I’ve had several other brands (including a few couple hundred dollar Brauns), but nothing holds up as well as the Norelco. I know the OP is looking more for a razor package, but this might be worth a look.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I like the Braun better than the Norelco, but both work very well.
Snacktime

Post by Snacktime »

I have a Norelco blade one that I use 2-3 times a week it just doesn't get the fine hairs. Actually it's 3 years old, can't complain it's been awesome.

Keep putting different shavers in the cart at a few sites. It feels like trying to pick one knife over another when I need both.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I love my beard