Shaving Razors recommendations?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
aicolainen

Re: Shaving Razors recommendations?

Post by aicolainen »

I'm not to obsessed with shaving, so I haven't bothered to compare different razors.
Just moving to wet shaving with safety razors some years ago was a total game changer, whatever improvements can be made beyond just making the switch is probably quite far out on the curve of diminishing return.

At home I use a Mühle safety razor, don't even know the model no., a badger brush and shaving soap. I go back and forth between different blades, but in this specific razor I feel like Mühle's own blades works best. And by that I mean really well.
The operating cost after the initial investment (which wasn't really that much) in brush and razor is negligible. I don't shave every day, so the blades last at least a month each, and a box of soap last... well I don't know because I'm still on my first one. At least a year, possibly several.

For travel I use a Merkur 933 CL travel razor and shaving gel. Gel can be bought in 100ml carry on compatible tubes and doesn't require a brush for application. The Merkur packs down to a very compact package.
Gel is a bit more expensive than soap and not quite as comfortable, but it's still very affordable and practical. And shaving while on travel has never been as enjoyable.
Snacktime

Post by Snacktime »

Well I have a Murker safety razor, Astra Blades, Taylor Soap, Badger brush and shaving bowl in bound. Actually not to bad of a buy in. Going to see how this works on the peach fuzz the electric razor misses.
My socks carry tip up MNOSD Member 0021
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Snacktime wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:09 am
Well I have a Murker safety razor, Astra Blades, Taylor Soap, Badger brush and shaving bowl in bound. Actually not to bad of a buy in. Going to see how this works on the peach fuzz the electric razor misses.
Enjoy! If you stick with it, you'll save a metric shoot-ton over disposables.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
RLR

Post by RLR »

Snacktime wrote:
You did good
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

I like the Merkur Safety Razor. Nice quality built and design.
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
Snacktime

Post by Snacktime »

So the real shaving cream is a game changer. Razor is good, just need to figure out shaving all over again.

Thanks everyone, definitely will revisit this thread in the future when I need a restock to try some of the other recommendations.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Snacktime wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:16 am
So the real shaving cream is a game changer. Razor is good, just need to figure out shaving all over again.

Thanks everyone, definitely will revisit this thread in the future when I need a restock to try some of the other recommendations.
The most important lesson I learned was to let the weight of the razor do the work. The second most important lesson I learned was not to repeat strokes without re-lathering. In other words, lather, down strokes, lather, side strokes, lather, up strokes.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Snacktime

Post by Snacktime »

kennethsime wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:34 am
The most important lesson I learned was to let the weight of the razor do the work. The second most important lesson I learned was not to repeat strokes without re-lathering. In other words, lather, down strokes, lather, side strokes, lather, up strokes.
Wish I had read this before use, but I am impatient with new sharp objects.

Little razor burn didn't hurt :zany
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Snacktime wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:04 pm
kennethsime wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:34 am
Wish I had read this before use, but I am impatient with new sharp objects.

Little razor burn didn't hurt :zany
It's ok, we all take time to learn. Every time I stop shaving for awhile I come back and make a mistake. :woozy

In addition to the above, try not to shave the same area in the same direction more than once, regardless of how many times you lather.

Pokey

Post by Pokey »

After reading some of the posts here I bought a Van Der Hagen Razor and a tube of their shave butter. The razor came with 5 of their German "Ice Tempered" stainless blades. I shave twice a week and after heeding advice given here and elsewhere I started getting pretty good results after a couple of shaves.

I started looking around for other brands of blades, but couldn't find any of the ones recommended here, locally. I did find a Rockwell Razors razor and blades, so I bought a box of their "Swedish Stainless Steel" blades. (Made in China, probably a Chinese equivalent of Sandvik 13C26.)

I tried out a Rockwell Razors blade this morning and right out of the box I could tell the Rockwell Razors blade wasn't as sharp as the Van Der Hagen blades.

I plan on switching back to the Van Der Hagen blade in a couple of days to run the test again.

Overall, I'm fairly impressed with the results of shaving with a safety razor.

Thanks guys!
Snacktime

Post by Snacktime »

Your ahead of me, still working on my Astra blades. I might try ordering some new blades shortly.
mark greenman

Post by mark greenman »

I've been using the Henson AL13 this last year. It's beautifully machined, and very smooth to shave with. Takes a little practice, but its the closest to the 'idiot proof' shave of a disposable razor that I've ever encountered. It's also gentle enough for shaving other areas without worrying about cutting off something important.

https://hensonshaving.com/products/alum ... 9794528336

I put a small section of Orange Gorilla tape on mine, to help ID 'Edge 2'. I do 2x shaves with Edge 1, then 2x Shaves with Edge 2 (the tape side) giving me 4x razor sharp shaves per blade. Since each blade is only $0.10, that makes for a very inexpensive shave. I'm spending more on shaving cream than razors now.

Pokey

Post by Pokey »

I was able to find some double edge razor blades locally. I’ve tried Personna “blue” blades, (blue packaging,) and those did a very good job and were comfortable. Then, I found Feather, “New Hi-Stainless,” blades and Merkur Super (Platinium) blades.

Feather blades are thought by many to be VERY sharp. I gave a Feather blade a try and I’d have to say, it gave me very little irritation while shaving or razor burn after.

I waited a couple more days to let my beard grow out and I’ll use the Feather blade again tomorrow.

I’ve read that the sharpest blades aren’t always the most comfortable, and how any blade does depends on your beard.

So far the Rockwell’s Razors blades seem to be the least comfortable. Maybe they’re the sharpest?
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Snacktime wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:54 am
It's been 3-4 years since I bought razors disposable razors. Looking for some recommendations as I mostly use an electric shaver but once a week have to go razor to stay peach fuzz free. I had a Harry's subscription 3-4 years ago and accumulated my last stock pile.

Is there an actual good razor company selling 3 blade razors? I feel the subscription services have sold out to crap. I bought some new Harry's blades and they didn't last like my old ones.
Don't buy those terrible razors and blades. The blades are unsupported and bounce on your face. Only the first blade cuts and the others pull and shred hairs and cause ingrown hairs, shaving bumps, irritation, rashes, and they fill up landfills and the ocean with plastic. Also, good blades are expensive. They cannot be easily or effectively recycled.

Instead, do as multiple millions world wide have done and get a good double edge safety razor. The blades are only 10 to 15 cents each and they rust away in landfills and the ocean, if they are not recycled, which is easy to do. Good brands start with the Edwin Jagger DE89 and Merkur 34C. The Merkur 23C is milder, but too mild for me. If you want a razor that is top notch and shaves like your cartridge razor then a Henson is what you want (in your choice of color).
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

mark greenman wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:08 am
I've been using the Henson AL13 this last year. It's beautifully machined, and very smooth to shave with. Takes a little practice, but its the closest to the 'idiot proof' shave of a disposable razor that I've ever encountered. It's also gentle enough for shaving other areas without worrying about cutting off something important.

https://hensonshaving.com/products/alum ... 9794528336

I put a small section of Orange Gorilla tape on mine, to help ID 'Edge 2'. I do 2x shaves with Edge 1, then 2x Shaves with Edge 2 (the tape side) giving me 4x razor sharp shaves per blade. Since each blade is only $0.10, that makes for a very inexpensive shave. I'm spending more on shaving cream than razors now.

Nice razors. I bought my wife a red one and after shaving with it myself a few times I decided that sometime soon I am going to buy myself a medium version. They are surprisingly idiot proof.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Snacktime wrote:
I did not see this before I replied earlier. Very good. Merkur makes a fine razor. Which model did you get?

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Well, as I said in my thread on the subject, I received my medium Henson (blue of course). No multi-blade cartridge or disposable ever shaved this close! Very nice, indeed. I think my EJ DE89 is slightly smoother if I use a Feather blade, but as far as efficiency and safety, the Henson beats everything I've used. And...the tolerances are superb. Very nice razor. I like it so much I am saving my pennies for Ti model.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050