Difficult Knife Restoration -- Thoughts?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
TomAiello

Re: Difficult Knife Restoration -- Thoughts?

Post by TomAiello »

RustyIron wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:52 pm
But I thought it over, and decided to pony up a couple bucks for a variety of Scotch Brite belts that would fit my Harbor Freight belt sander. This morning I installed a belt. It was a little tight, and the sander's motor didn't have the mojo to start, even if I turned it over by hand. Sigh.
To make my harbor freight sander turn the scotch write belts, I had to cut away a part of the frame. I'll see if I can get a picture, but basically I just found the place it was rubbing and trimmed away part of the metal so it would turn.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Xplorer wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:29 pm
....If it makes you feel any better, I too spent way too much of my life modifying HF grinders to do what I needed them to do...

The platen modification pictured above ^ is Bolster approved and wins this week's coveted three-avocado-halves award:

:avocado :avocado :avocado

Although I'd also point out that if folks just bought a Coote Grinder to begin with, such modifications, admirable as they are, are rendered unnecessary.

OT: I have a scotchbrite belt for my belt grinder but I was alarmed at the "wear" it appeared to put on the rubber-encased drive wheel, so haven't used it since.
Last edited by Bolster on Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

Bolster wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:20 pm

The platen modification pictured above ^ is Bolster approved and wins this week's coveted three-avocado-halves award:

Thank you! I'm proud and honored! And I love avocados too. :smlling-eyes
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Here's the pics after a little fluff and buff. It was never intended to be an accurate restoration to it's original configuration. I like the look better now, and it shaves my arm hair nicely. Although it would be ready for another couple tours through NVA controlled skies, the knife will probably just sit on a shelf now.
IMG_2953.jpeg
SpyderLine

Post by SpyderLine »

RustyIron wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:33 pm
Here's the pics after a little fluff and buff. It was never intended to be an accurate restoration to it's original configuration. I like the look better now, and it shaves my arm hair nicely. Although it would be ready for another couple tours through NVA controlled skies, the knife will probably just sit on a shelf now.

IMG_2953.jpeg
Great work! It looks very nice!
Current Top 3
Kapara, Native 5, Pacific Salt 2
M.N.O.S.D #0034

"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month."
-Theodore Roosevelt
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

RustyIron wrote:

IMG_2953.jpeg
Looks beautiful! It really does look as if it's ready to be put into service once again.

Knives are one of a those long-lasting tangible items that have the potential to have memories attached to them, eliciting thoughts of the people who once owned them and they can certainly gain sentimental value through time. What you've done here honors the valuable memories and the long history attached to that knife, all of which would have been lost without your efforts.

Hats off to you! Well done!
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

RustyIron wrote:
Here's the pics after a little fluff and buff...

This is unprecedented, but I'm awarding a second three-half-avocados award this week, for Rusty's impressive restoration. Well done.

When I was a kid, that Puma White Hunter was sort of the "ultimate knife" in my mind. It still rings my bells, even though I have few jobs that require the belly. It just "looks rad," as we kids would say back when.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

RustyIron wrote:

IMG_2953.jpeg
Looks great, job well done!
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Thanks kids. Things like this are aways a compromise. Skill and time limit how perfect the finished product can be, but you don't want it to turn out looking like a monkey took it to a bench grinder. I found a happy medium. I wouldn't compare it to what many of you can create, but I think it's a good example that someone with no special knife making skills can crank out something that's ok.

I don't know the significance of avocados, but I had sinh tố bơ for lunch yesterday. Delicious and nutritious.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

RustyIron wrote:

IMG_2953.jpeg
Wow. Great work, Rusty!