Any Vegans Around?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
twinboysdad

Re: Any Vegans Around?

Post by twinboysdad »

TomAiello wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:22 am
twinboysdad wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:09 pm
Jazz wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:13 pm
twinboysdad wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:17 am
Jazz,

I respect your opinion on most things, and I am sure you will be able to quantify- I thought soy was kryptonite to testosterone in men? Like leads to gyno and low drive bad? Is this not true? I appreciate the fact that you mention performance, as I too workout close to 10 hours per week

Soy contains phytoestrogens, which actually block estrogens. Check out Simnett Nutrition on YouTube, or Nimai Delgado. They are certainly not lacking. I’m a hairy beast, and I eat soy every day.
Off to research. I will add my wife and I used to eat Tempeh often and should try it again
I don't eat soy because I don't really enjoy it. It's easy to be a vegan without soy. There are plenty of alternative foods.

Same for gluten, actually.
Where are you deriving your protein macros?
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

twinboysdad wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:27 am
TomAiello wrote:
I don't eat soy because I don't really enjoy it. It's easy to be a vegan without soy. There are plenty of alternative foods.

Fish, mostly. I'm not a vegan. Vegan+fish works pretty well for me. Vegan+Fish-Gluten is even better for my metabolism. But I think that everyone is different, so going with someone else's formula is going to be a lot less effective than developing your own via long term trial and error.

You can also get protein from beans and nuts. I have a pretty high nut intake.

If increasing protein and staying vegan are priorities for you, Costco sells a non-soy vegan protein powder that's mostly derived from nuts.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

TomAiello wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:51 pm
RustyIron wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:53 pm
This summer my wife perfected her watermelon sorbet. It's totally off the charts, for whatever criteria one might judge sorbet. And... totally vegan!
Have you tried Granita?
Her first watermelon sorbets were more of a granita. Then she started using more of the watermelon solids, which smoothed out the texture. We both prefer the latter.

Today I might try out an ice cream concept that has been bouncing around in my head. I do a Mayan crème brûlée, using spices suitable for Pakal. I think it would make an interesting ice cream. Although it's not vegan, I can assure you there is no meat involved, and only rarely are virgins sacrificed.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

TomAiello wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:55 am
twinboysdad wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:27 am
TomAiello wrote:

Fish, mostly. I'm not a vegan. Vegan+fish works pretty well for me. Vegan+Fish-Gluten is even better for my metabolism. But I think that everyone is different, so going with someone else's formula is going to be a lot less effective than developing your own via long term trial and error.

You can also get protein from beans and nuts. I have a pretty high nut intake.

If increasing protein and staying vegan are priorities for you, Costco sells a non-soy vegan protein powder that's mostly derived from nuts.
Great answer, this is the formula most “almost” vegan MMA fighters use, Uriah Faber, Diaz brothers, to be as healthy as possible but still meet protein needs.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I have a strict rule. "Never trust a Vegan"(used to be vegetarian).

I always said it jokingly(unless it's moral based). But, my kid's friend was over and said she was a vegan. Without skipping a beat, my daughter dropped the line...
(Neither of us have a filter)

There was a momentary pause, followed by roaring laughter on my part. I laughed so hard, it hurt.

God, I love her.

Messing with moral vegans is almost as fun as laughing at people who scream about human rights issues and boycotts, who at the same time will do backflips, through flaming hoops, to get the latest iPhone...
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

In another thread there was mention of avocados, and it reminded me to come over to this thread and share this with you guys. I'm not really enamored with eating avocados for the sake of eating avocados. But Sinh Tố Bơ is so delicious that I could sit here eating it until I looked like Jabba the Hut.

If you're not aware of the almost magical nutritional benefits of avocados, or if you're looking for a more traditional recipe for Sinh Tố Bơ, then let google be your friend. This is a short outline of how to make it. It's not exactly traditional, so if you deviate, you don't need to worry about offending the avocado gods.

Sinh Tố Bơ (Avocado Shake)

One avocado in blender
Sweeten it with several tablespoons of brown sugar, honey, or agave nectar. I like it sweet.
Half a teaspoon if cacao powder, if you want
six ice cubes
about 3/4 cup oat milk (or cow milk, or almond, or whatever)

Let the blender break up the ice, and then blend until it's smooth. Don't run it on high for so long that it becomes too aerated. If it's too thick to spin around in the blender, add some more oat milk. Pour in a glass and serve.

Tastes like dessert, nutritionally suitable for a meal.
sinh-to-bo-sua-dua-thumbnail.jpg
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

RustyIron wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:32 am
In another thread there was mention of avocados, and it reminded me to come over to this thread and share this with you guys. I'm not really enamored with eating avocados for the sake of eating avocados. But Sinh Tố Bơ is so delicious that I could sit here eating it until I looked like Jabba the Hut.
I had an employee whose "whole thing" was Avocado shakes. He worked as a glorified receptionist + lifeguard, and would introduce himself to customers: "Hi, I'm [name redacted] and I love avocado shakes!" It was a good tactic for making sure customers remembered him, and he even got the occasional complimentary avocado shake from thoughtful customers.

Haven't tried one yet, but maybe I'll try this recipe - looks good!
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Made the wife and I a tempeh stir fry last night. Base was EVOO, julienne carrot, broccoli, cabbage, onion. Added soy sauce, crushed red pepper, ginger, garlic, truvia and a secret smidge of peanut butter. She was over the moon. We will work this one in again. Boys had football and had Chick Fil A so not entirely vegan for the fam
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Hi @Jazz, haven’t seen you around lately. Hope all is well with you and yours.
Snacktime

Post by Snacktime »

twinboysdad wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:17 pm
Made the wife and I a tempeh stir fry last night. Base was EVOO, julienne carrot, broccoli, cabbage, onion. Added soy sauce, crushed red pepper, ginger, garlic, truvia and a secret smidge of peanut butter. She was over the moon. We will work this one in again. Boys had football and had Chick Fil A so not entirely vegan for the fam
Look into Thai Curry, very similar ingredients. Stir fry and rice are my go to vegan meal.
My socks carry tip up MNOSD Member 0021