Any Vegans Around?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Jazz

Re: Any Vegans Around?

Post by Jazz »

I’ve been vegan for 2 years. Nothing but good things to say about it, and I really respect other vegans. This planet’s love for meat is ruining it. Absolute proven fact. Tons of proof. Don’t even ask me. You can find it.

I started because it’s way healthier for you. If you’re tired, or lacking, you’re not eating a balanced diet, or eating enough. I eat a tofu or hummus sandwich with greens, and a huge bowl of raw oatmeal with bananas, dates, raisins, hemp seeds, and whatever else I’m in the mood for for flavour, soy milk, and almond milk. It holds me over until supper, and I’m a cook who runs his *** off.

Lots of YouTube vids for eating ideas, and soy is not bad for you, by the way.

I love veganism, and don’t plan on changing. I don’t eat oil either, or processed sugars, or highly processed anything. I’m not bragging, but I work out 10 hours a week, and build muscle being vegan. I’m 56.

I hope I don’t sound like I think I’m better than anyone. I’m not. I’ve just been educated on this topic enough to know it’s a good thing. I love it, and food never tasted better. No lie.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Jazz wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:04 pm
I’ve been vegan for 2 years. Nothing but good things to say about it, and I really respect other vegans. This planet’s love for meat is ruining it. Absolute proven fact. Tons of proof. Don’t even ask me. You can find it.

I started because it’s way healthier for you. If you’re tired, or lacking, you’re not eating a balanced diet, or eating enough. I eat a tofu or hummus sandwich with greens, and a huge bowl of raw oatmeal with bananas, dates, raisins, hemp seeds, and whatever else I’m in the mood for for flavour, soy milk, and almond milk. It holds me over until supper, and I’m a cook who runs his *** off.

Lots of YouTube vids for eating ideas, and soy is not bad for you, by the way.

I love veganism, and don’t plan on changing. I don’t eat oil either, or processed sugars, or highly processed anything. I’m not bragging, but I work out 10 hours a week, and build muscle being vegan. I’m 56.

I hope I don’t sound like I think I’m better than anyone. I’m not. I’ve just been educated on this topic enough to know it’s a good thing. I love it, and food never tasted better. No lie.

This is a strong testament to Veganism. I'm open to it, but Vegetarianism or Pescatarianism would be more likely. Is there a reason you choose soy milk & almond milk over oatmilk? I made the switch to oatmilk about 6 months ago and am glad that I did. Almonds seem to have a very negative environmental impact and I would prefer to consume large amounts of oats to soy, but that is just a personal preference I guess.

Anyway, just wondering if you have considered oatmilk and if so, why you chose otherwise.

P.S. Good to see you around, your presence has been noticeably lacking lately, haha!
So it goes.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

After a trip to Iceland a few years ago, I couldn't get enough of Oatly Oat Milk - it's everywhere over there.

Iceland is supposedly one of the most vegan-friendly countries in the world, and I definitely felt so when I was there.

These days, I use the full fat Oatly in my coffee every morning, and occasionally we get the chocolate Oatly just for fun.

If they're out of Oatly at the store, we get Califia, which is pretty good also, or heaven forbid we'll end up with Almond milk in the fridge for a week.

When I first went vegan nearly 20 years ago, the choices sure were a lot slimmer. Soy milk tasted strongly of soy, Rice milk tasted strongly of... well, water, and Almond milk wasn't a thing yet. When Silk came out with a Soy Milk that actually tasted good, that was amazing. When Almond milk became widely available and didn't have a funky after taste, that was revolutionary. With Oat milk, I feel like I can finally stop apologizing for vegan dairy - it's really, really good, and many non-vegans even prefer it. Similar to Beyond and Impossible burgers.

Speaking of Beyond Meat, we had Beyond Tacos tonight from a Mexican place in town tonight - holy ****, were they to die for. Taco-truck style, so nothing but well-seasoned meat, pickled red onion, cilantro, and fresh lime - perfect. We cooked the meatballs for the first time two-three weeks ago as well, and they were incredible. I think the key with Beyond is not to freeze the meat, but eat it fresh if at all possible - the freezer dries it out, makes it a bit tough.

There's a paragraph I didn't think I would be typing out 20 years ago...
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I noticed the oat milk around here has oil added. Not healthy, so I've never tried it. I eat healthy fats with hemp seeds, flax, nuts, avocados, etc. I like soy milk because it goes well with tea. I need it with my tea, or it upsets my stomach. Also, it just tastes good in things like oatmeal, dressings I make, etc.

As for the fake meats, I've actually never felt the need to reproduce or replace meat. My wife makes the best freakin' burgers with all kinds of beans and chick peas. She's such a good vegan cook.

If anyone wants some education, just watch the movies, The Game Changers and Forks Over Knives. Also, Dominion.
- best wishes, Jazz.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Jazz,

I respect your opinion on most things, and I am sure you will be able to quantify- I thought soy was kryptonite to testosterone in men? Like leads to gyno and low drive bad? Is this not true? I appreciate the fact that you mention performance, as I too workout close to 10 hours per week
Last edited by twinboysdad on Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I'm not sure that the highly processed meat substitutes are really very healthy. I'm personally not willing to eat something that is so highly processed. In my view, those 'fake meat' products are another sign of 'Oreo' veganism.
Last edited by TomAiello on Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

Everyone remain calm. You are among friends.
"Oreo veganism". Come on. That there is funny.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Not all plant or plant-based foods are good for all people. For example, as I mentioned earlier, people like myself with a gluten sensitivity/intolerance. Many have it a lot worse than I do. Others have severe allergies to peanuts and, yes, to soy products. I'm sure the list goes on and on.

Jim
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Nope. Grew up on a farm and in a hunting family, but I am drug/alcohol free which makes me even more confused than being vegan.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I'm not a vegan but one year I ate rice and blocks of fried soy almost exclusively due to not having any cash. It was a pretty dire situation.

I lived in Chicago about 2.5 miles away from Chinatown where I would buy 35lb bags of rice. The mart that I shopped at was very dirty and the isle with the soy in it smelled a bit bad...but when you're hungry you would be surprised what you will eat.

For meat products that I enjoy, like turkey, I wish that I hunted. That may be the only way to get food ethically.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

twinboysdad wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:17 am
Jazz,

I respect your opinion on most things, and I am sure you will be able to quantify- I thought soy was kryptonite to testosterone in men? Like leads to gyno and low drive bad? Is this not true? I appreciate the fact that you mention performance, as I too workout close to 10 hours per week

Soy contains phytoestrogens, which actually block estrogens. Check out Simnett Nutrition on YouTube, or Nimai Delgado. They are certainly not lacking. I’m a hairy beast, and I eat soy every day.
- best wishes, Jazz.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Mad Mac wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:42 am
"Oreo veganism". Come on. That there is funny.
It's a term I learned when I was a vegan, and is commonly used among vegans (at least the ones I know).

Basically, Oreos are vegan, and so are a lot of other highly processed, generally unhealthy foods. Vegans use the term to denote someone who is vegan (usually for ethical rather than health reasons) and eats a vegan diet largely composed of highly processed (and relatively unhealthy) foods.

https://vegnews.com/2021/7/25-accidenta ... ence-store

These foods are often referred to as 'accidentally vegan' because they weren't actually designed to be vegan--they just ended up that way through the normal food processing/engineering process.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

That fake meat is highly processed. I won’t eat it. I’m whole foods plant based. The brownies I just made for my wife’s birthday are mostly black beans, cocoa, and dates. Some avocado in the frosting. So good. Just made some vanilla cream to go with it. Raw cashews, almond milk, vanilla, and dates.
- best wishes, Jazz.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Jazz wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:13 pm
twinboysdad wrote:
Jazz,

Soy contains phytoestrogens, which actually block estrogens. Check out Simnett Nutrition on YouTube, or Nimai Delgado. They are certainly not lacking. I’m a hairy beast, and I eat soy every day.
Off to research. I will add my wife and I used to eat Tempeh often and should try it again
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Jazz wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:42 pm
That fake meat is highly processed. I won’t eat it. I’m whole foods plant based. The brownies I just made for my wife’s birthday are mostly black beans, cocoa, and dates. Some avocado in the frosting. So good. Just made some vanilla cream to go with it. Raw cashews, almond milk, vanilla, and dates.
My wife went to professional gelato school a couple years ago. She makes a lot of gelato, both vegan and not. She actually bought a separate freezer just to store gelato (because it's ideal to keep it at a higher temperature than a normal household freezer).
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

TomAiello wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:43 pm

She actually bought a separate freezer just to store gelato
Now that's a serious gelato connoisseur!

This summer my wife perfected her watermelon sorbet. It's totally off the charts, for whatever criteria one might judge sorbet. And... totally vegan!
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Jazz wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:42 pm
Hi Jazz, good to see you :cheap-sunglasses
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

RustyIron wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:53 pm
This summer my wife perfected her watermelon sorbet. It's totally off the charts, for whatever criteria one might judge sorbet. And... totally vegan!
Have you tried Granita?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Granita
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

twinboysdad wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:09 pm
Jazz wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:13 pm
twinboysdad wrote:
Jazz,

Off to research. I will add my wife and I used to eat Tempeh often and should try it again
I don't eat soy because I don't really enjoy it. It's easy to be a vegan without soy. There are plenty of alternative foods.

Same for gluten, actually.