How many rent knives?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.

How many rent their knives?

I buy, examine, then resell.
3%
I buy, examine, return.
No votes
I buy, but nothing ever leaves the collection!
55%
Other option I overlooked? Please comment, thanks.
42%

Total votes: 33

JRinFL

How many rent knives?

Post by JRinFL »

I'm curious as to what people to do with all the knives they post here and elsewhere. No judgments, just curious. For me it is the 3rd option, but maybe someday it will be the resell option. :neutral
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Cheddarnut

Re: How many rent knives?

Post by Cheddarnut »

I never buy to resell, because flipping is for *shiny footprints*. I do however sell knives that i no longer connect with to make room and available funds for knives that I do (or hope to). I have sent knives immediately back if i hate them for whatever reason, but i've never planned on that course of action. I am guilty, however, of babying knives because of the possibility that they may outstay their welcome and need to be trimmed from the pile at some later date, and this is the killer of joy, as using a knife is the point of having it in the first place, and if you can't use it in a carefree manner because of the fear of ruining its long term value you might as well collect ornamental wall hanging plates with grainy prints of salivating turn-spit dogs.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I went with I buy but nothing ever leaves my collection. I have gifted a few and sold some awhile back. I really need to clear some out but I can never settle on which ones 🙂
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I buy and rarely sell. I've accumulated way too many knives.

Every now and then (I think it's happened twice) I go through a purging period and sell off a bunch of knives. I actually think I'm coming up on a third round soon. No particular plan to it though--I just kind of get the urge and do it. It's more about cleaning house than about getting money out though. I'm more likely to give a knife to a friend than to sell one.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I'm a little of everything. I've definitely bought knives, just because I want to check out the model. Some I have kept, some I have turned around and immediately sold. I've never returned a knife though. Most of my purchases are with the intention of keeping them and I know I've had PLENTY that I've said I'd never sell...but are no longer in the collection. I can honestly say I really only miss 2 knives I've sold.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I definitely miss a couple knives I've sold. It makes me reluctant to sell others.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I buy with the intent to keep but eventually some do get sold. I have never sold a knife soon after purchase.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

I have a few knives that are redundant or don't excite me, but it's easier to just let them sit there gathering dust.

eBay mandates PayPal, and they don't protect the seller. The hassle isn't worth it to me.

Bladeforums' only allows selling for those who pay a fee. For reasons that will remain private, they'll never receive a dime from me.

The Spyderco trading group on Reddit is fine, but it's tangentially connected to this forum. Folks here are quick to point fingers and label those who sell above retail as "flippers." I don't embrace that perspective, so I don't participate.

I suppose there's Craigslist or FB Marketplace, but selling unused knives just hasn't become that big of a priority for me. The Drawer Of Forgotten Knives keeps growing.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

RustyIron wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:36 am
The Drawer Of Forgotten Knives keeps growing.
I laughed because it is so accurate, however in my case it is plastic bins.
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I'm surprised at on one checking number one since I see it so often on knife forums. I expected it to be a strong number two in the poll. Maybe it would be at BF?

Poll is anonymous and you don't have to comment if you'd rather not.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I try to do my homework before I buy any blade. I try to determine that it's either a blade I truly need and intend to use. Or if I see it as a collectible piece then I have been known to trade those on occasion.

But it's pretty rare when I get a knife that I don't like for whatever reason. And I've gotten much more picky over the years with all these supersteels available and these great Sprint Runs. Interesting thread.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

most of the knives i've moved on from aren't worth enough to resell, so they just stay in the collection. i prefer cheaper knives and spyderco is pretty much the top tier for me.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I checked the first option although, I too feel I'm a little of everything. Lol, I've very rarely ever made any money off of any knife that I've bought. Especially those Medfords lol but, the knives that I've always kept are Spydercos. I just rarely ever use a pocket knife that much to be honest. I like to buy what I like, look them over talk about em etc and then pass them on.
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Don't plan on selling any but it's possible once the collection gets bigger.
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

I buy, never sell, but occasionally give one away. My collection includes a few custom knives that have gone way up in price on the secondary market (notice I did not say "value"), but I don't need the money, which would soon be gone anyway.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I mostly buy but I do sell if a particular knife doesn't suit me or I get tired of it.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

I buy, use, and maybe re-sell.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

I’ve never “rented” a knife per se, but I have sold quite a few after a while. Today, and the last year or so, I only buy what I want and like and will keep forever. No plans to sale anything in my current collection.
Josh
benben

Post by benben »

I'm notorious for buying, checking out, using a little while and then gifting away to someone, definitely makes their day! I've sold exactly one knife before ever, a NIB Captain that someone posted a WTB on FB Marketplace, he snatched it up in 20 seconds!

I'm definitely going to start selling some of my older discontinued models that I never use.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Mostly, if I don’t buy, I don’t get to see or handle a model in the flesh. Very occasionally, I think 4 times ever, it’s been a non-starter and they’ve been returned to the retailer, invariably for an alternative. Some, after a honeymoon period (1-5 years) I will sell on if it proves to be similar but inferior to a more recent acquisition, and others never seem to be bettered.